My insurance now says they won't pay for Valium

[be...]

Hi:

My doc today called in a pre authorization for both Klonopin and Valium, which I'm crossing over via the Ashton Manual.  Now my insurance company says they won't pay for the valium, because it's too strong and nasty to come off of. They said klonopin is an easier drug to come off of. So, now, since I am living on a small amount of disability, have to pay for the Valium out of pocket. Fustrated. Any thoughts?

Klonopin is, in my opinion, the nastiest of all benzos to come off of…I would pay for the Valium for now and contest it with the insurance company.  That's nuts.

It could be that your insurance company is also trying to cut their losses by not paying for 2 benzo prescriptions.  I would imagine that when you are only taking Valium, it won't be a problem getting them to cover it.  That is, if your Valium prescription is for diazepam, (the generic).

Once I had to pay OOP for a one month prescription of clonazepam, and I think it was $30.

I had the impression that most benzos aren't real expensive (course, if your income is limited, that could be a problem).

Hi:

I called the pharmacy and they said a 30-day supply of diazapam would cost $50. Tried asking other pharmacies and they told me basically the same thing.

You have to check your state laws on controlled substances  schedule IV. New laws take effect in Jan 2014. Only 30 days worth can be bought at one time but you can still have refills up to 5 of them. I pay for my clonazepam myself  and I pay 65.00 for a month's supply. I need a certain manufacturer though. I tried a cheaper generic and had WD symptoms.

The maker of name brand Valium stopped making it months ago due to a class action lawsuit in the UK.  You should be able to get the generic for pretty cheap. 

Effective January 2014, several insurance companies in the US will stop covering benzos due to their "addictive nature".  In the US, Medicare stopped paying for them years ago.  This is going to be an ongoing trend in the years to come.  Many people will be left to pay for their benzo script out of pocket. 

GG

At least the insurance says they'll pay for Klonopin, which is a lot more expensive. The don't pay for the valium, even tho my pdoc yelled at them, telling them there is plenty of research that tells you it's best to slowly switch over to a longer lasting drug, and then taper from there. Idiots. It's a wonder our country's GNP is so high, what with the morons running it.