What to do? Paradoxical or not?

[Th...]

All I know is that, even though it isn't as bad as when I completely came off of them, is that I am still pretty excitatory to sounds, certain thoughts, light, and even just hearing or reading certain things. I am at .5mg clonazepam 3x daily. Tomorrow I start my new course of treatment. If I am paradoxical, is there a way to fix it without going CT again? I feel like I have stabilized somewhat but should I ask to updose or switch over granted this new doc will be more helpful than my previous one. Basically the question is what can "reverse" the paradoxical effects if in fact that is what is going on with me?

After a 50% cut of Klonopin in about 6 weeks, followed by a huge crash, I crossed over to Valium and up-dosed by 5 mg. It helped at first, but it wasn't long before I started having a paradoxical reaction to the Valium. By that I mean that, about an hour after I took a dose, my heart would start racing, I'd break into a sweat, etc. 

Is that what's happening to you?

I was advised that the only thing to do is to taper off as quickly as I could tolerate, which is what I'm doing.

I don't think cold turkey is a good idea, ever, if you've been on benzos long enough to become physically dependent. Too dangerous.

[2b...]

Yes ^^^^ Exactly... at first it seems to help... but shorty there after it went paradoxical.

SAME thing with me... I felt better at first, then after I take the doses, I feel flush, sick, sweaty, heart gets weird.. etc...

Sorry to hear that … it's quite the predicament to be in.

I'm not sure how this works with most people, but I can tell you that, in my case, I've felt better as I've gotten lower in dosage. I still feel awful a lot, but I'm much, much better now than I was at the higher doses. And I almost always feel better after a cut.

One thing that helps me is take three doses a day. That way, I'm not hit all at once.

It's really hard to know what to do, I know. There doesn't seem to be an easy way out of this situation.

Not so much sweats and heart rate but just an over all "weird" feeling in my stomach and weakness in my head. I don't have any tremors and I'm not twisting my neck/head jolts as much as I was when I was in acute wd. That's why I don't know if I am paradoxical or not, because even though my anxiety and derealization are still there, my body doesn't seem to be going through fits. Also, with this paradoxical thing, I was thinking maybe it's just a phase or point where our bodies are just readjusting to being on it again and will start working normally if we can tough it out over a given period of time. Are paradoxical reactions permanent? I ask because I was going to ask to updose tomorrow by 1mg. I just don't know what is going on. Some things have gotten better while other things remain bad. I also can't help but think that it is my risperdal making some of this worse than it is me actually being paradoxical. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I don't even know how to go about explaining it because it is a new doctor. At this point I feel like time is the only thing that can stabilize me before a taper and/or an updose.

Hi Thissucks:

I tried risperdal and it made me anxious. if you read the wikipedia benzo withdrawal syndrome report it will tell you, in small print on page 4 or 5, that you should not take an antipsychotic drug while withdrawing. It says, if needed, use extreme caution. I'd drop the risperdal if I were you.

I had a feeling. I didn't read that part. Thank you. Now it is a matter of if I should ween myself off of it or just stop taking it effective immediately.

Note, I just started taking the risperdal 3 weeks and 5 days ago. So stopping suddenly shouldn't be as dangerous, I suppose? It's 1 mg in the AM and 1 mg at bedtime. I'll ask my new doctor. Thanks again for that.

Hi:

I wondered what about the anti-psychotic thing.  I have been trying to taper and I am on Seroquel which I have been on for years. What is the effect on tapering while on the AP?

kendall