Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I see your message about lyme and tapering benzos. Can you tell me about that journey?  I’ve crossed from K to V and started at 12.5. Am only just starting taper. At 12.0 now.  Have had fever 100-101 almost daily for over a year (even before benzo) and lyme is being suspected. Have upcoming appt with LLNP. Really don’t want to have lyme and need to treat it while on benzo and really don’t want to stop tapering. Any wisdom appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Marie

I was figuring on replacing a dose at a time since I’d b at 1mg 3x a day after I taper this .25 but am nervous and thinking maybe I should taper the .25 with liquid idk

This is so hard. I’m going to have to go to liquid anyway since .25 tablet cuts are impossible

Just worried about losing the stability I have now

It took 3 days but I finally feel stabilized from my 8.5mg cut back at 10mg but I felt I had no choice I was literally losing my mind and was about to go to the hospital like when I tried dry cut daily micro taper of .003mg a day. daily micro tapering valium just seemed to always catch up with me because it was hard to tell when to hold because of the long half life of valium and the scales were so hard to work with. doing a hybrid liquid/tablet cutting 5% every 2 wks was going ok not great but better than daily tapers which I expected from reading on these forums (had insomnia, lack of energy and mood swings) from 12.5 to the 8.5 over the last months but I am going to stabilize at 10mg for awhile before I try to cut again and try to go slower this time 2.5% cut every two weeks with maybe some longer hold times to try and see if I have less symptoms so I can try to enjoy life a little more and let my brain heal in between cuts? I would rather it take longer to get off the medication than life this way but I guess I will see if it makes a difference. I feel that I am not just effecting myself but the others around me because even though I am tolerating the cuts and "functioning" I am pretty much drained by the end of the work day and don't want to do anything even showering becomes a lot of effort. I pretty much just lay on the couch all evening which can't be healthy. Before I started cutting I would walk 3-4 miles a day and would like to start exercising some again. 

anybody have any good/bad experience with doing smaller cuts than the typical 5-10%? I have always been told by doctors that I seem to be sensitive to medication since I was younger but it is frustrating that I can't do the same protocol and it will take a lot longer to get off the V that lot of people on here can but it is what it is and this process is just some trial and error to find what works for me. Some people on here tried giving me encouragement which I appreciated to stick it out and try to make it thru it but I just couldn't I was falling apart and felt like I was harming myself.

I had the worst night ever last night. I had updosed to 2mg. after making a huge .5mg cut of generic diazepam

Then on 11/24 I got brand name Valium because I had read that it was more stable, and the pharmacy kept changing the brands of generic. So, I took .25mg brand name, and deducted .25 of generic. Last nite was day 9 of the change, and all HELL broke loose! I got no sleep, major anxiety and depression, muscle aches, electric shocks all over my body, complete dread. I don't know what to do! Should I just stay with what I've been taking or should I go back to all generic.

I've never been so miserable in all my life! Please help! Eileen

Eileen try not mixing the type do one or the other

Sounds like you were doing better on all pure Valium go back to that at stay with it. This is just a suggestion I’m not experienced with generic vs regular

Also, you maybe shud call your doc and tell him what’s happening

I had the worst night ever last night. I had updosed to 2mg. after making a huge .5mg cut of generic diazepam

Then on 11/24 I got brand name Valium because I had read that it was more stable, and the pharmacy kept changing the brands of generic. So, I took .25mg brand name, and deducted .25 of generic. Last nite was day 9 of the change, and all HELL broke loose! I got no sleep, major anxiety and depression, muscle aches, electric shocks all over my body, complete dread. I don't know what to do! Should I just stay with what I've been taking or should I go back to all generic.

I've never been so miserable in all my life! Please help! Eileen

Hi Eileen-  So sorry that you are having such a horrible time.  I’m not sure what is going on.  Could you update your signature too, that would be helpful.  Are you still at the 2mg?  And you took .25mg of the brand and then, deducted .25 of generic (is this liquid?) and I am wondering why? Maybe it’s my benzo brain/cog fog, but I can’t follow this.  Help me…LOL.  I get the part of being 9 days in and the 1/2 life and the change would kick in in and sx.  So were you trying to reduce again?  This is where I am lost.  Tab’s? Liquid?  Mg? 

I hope you are getting some rest right now and getting some answers too.  We are here for you.

Marie

It took 3 days but I finally feel stabilized from my 8.5mg cut back at 10mg but I felt I had no choice I was literally losing my mind and was about to go to the hospital like when I tried dry cut daily micro taper of .003mg a day. daily micro tapering valium just seemed to always catch up with me because it was hard to tell when to hold because of the long half life of valium and the scales were so hard to work with. doing a hybrid liquid/tablet cutting 5% every 2 wks was going ok not great but better than daily tapers which I expected from reading on these forums (had insomnia, lack of energy and mood swings) from 12.5 to the 8.5 over the last months but I am going to stabilize at 10mg for awhile before I try to cut again and try to go slower this time 2.5% cut every two weeks with maybe some longer hold times to try and see if I have less symptoms so I can try to enjoy life a little more and let my brain heal in between cuts? I would rather it take longer to get off the medication than life this way but I guess I will see if it makes a difference. I feel that I am not just effecting myself but the others around me because even though I am tolerating the cuts and "functioning" I am pretty much drained by the end of the work day and don't want to do anything even showering becomes a lot of effort. I pretty much just lay on the couch all evening which can't be healthy. Before I started cutting I would walk 3-4 miles a day and would like to start exercising some again. 

anybody have any good/bad experience with doing smaller cuts than the typical 5-10%? I have always been told by doctors that I seem to be sensitive to medication since I was younger but it is frustrating that I can't do the same protocol and it will take a lot longer to get off the V that lot of people on here can but it is what it is and this process is just some trial and error to find what works for me. Some people on here tried giving me encouragement which I appreciated to stick it out and try to make it thru it but I just couldn't I was falling apart and felt like I was harming myself.

Hi and welcome!

I have had to play around with my taper quite a few times.  It is hard to get it right.  And like you, I am having to go slower too.  There are actually a lot of us that have to go much slower.  Some who have to go very very slow.  It is called the “symptom based” taper.  I can’t even seem to be able to do 10% a month.  I have had to recently slow that down.  UGH. 

I hit a major wall at 10mg and had to hold for a month to get stabilized and then tried different attempts and ways to proceed forward.  Again, ended up holding, and slowing down quite a few times.  Finally I had to come to terms that I am just going to have to go even slower then I thought.  It has been hard.  Originally I had a date set on the calendar when I was going to be off based on the Ashton Manual and oh boy that was crushing when that wasn’t going to happen.  Then when I had to break up with my calendar, that took some time too :laugh:.  It’s all a process and acceptance.

Functioning is the key :thumbsup:  If you can find that sweet spot and wean, yet still function that is the goal :thumbsup:  Less damage to the CNS and you get to continue on with your life too.  Honestly I am still trying to find that for myself.  I think I am getting closer, but like I said, I have had to slow things down even more.  I do know when I hold, it is like I go back to my normal self and I function and my life is so much better….So I know if I were to go super super slow, I could probably be pretty normal.

Keep us posted on what you find works for you.  We are here for you  :)

Marie

I see your message about lyme and tapering benzos. Can you tell me about that journey?  I’ve crossed from K to V and started at 12.5. Am only just starting taper. At 12.0 now.  Have had fever 100-101 almost daily for over a year (even before benzo) and lyme is being suspected. Have upcoming appt with LLNP. Really don’t want to have lyme and need to treat it while on benzo and really don’t want to stop tapering. Any wisdom appreciated. Thanks.

Hi-  I don’t have Lymes, but I do have an Autoimmune and get flareups that will cause fevers while going through this and it is miserable when it happens.  My face turns to sand paper and I get a rash, and my joints hurt and ache so bad on top of the other pain.  It’s horrible sometimes.  I do get pain medicine when this happens.  However, I know Lymes can be so horrible and the antibiotics can be so harsh to treat it, so my heart goes out to you.  I am not up on the new treatments of Lymes, and are they doing any stem cell treatments?  If you do have it, should you maybe wait to wean off, until after your treatments?  Just a thought.  I am sure the person who had/has Lymes who you were posting to will jump in here too and be able to offer better advice.

Hoping for the best for you  :)

Marie

Hi Marie

I was figuring on replacing a dose at a time since I’d b at 1mg 3x a day after I taper this .25 but am nervous and thinking maybe I should taper the .25 with liquid idk

This is so hard. I’m going to have to go to liquid anyway since .25 tablet cuts are impossible

Hi Joeb-

What if you put your taper off a week and try and introduce to liquid in this week and see how you do? Replace one of your doses with liquid each day and see?  You should know by day 3, if not right away.  If all goes well, then, maybe do your reduction with the liquid.  Just an idea.  It will make things easier to do the reductions with the liquid.  I do my reductions with the liquid and it’s really easy.

Marie

I was having trouble with the generic, everything I've taken so far has been pills. Someone suggested I take the brand name, so I took .25 of brand name, and deducted .25 of generic. Then last night it hit me. I feel really stupid. I will try to change my profile. I am really discouraged. Just went to massage and did not enjoy it. Any help or suggestions I am grateful for. Am calling my doctor. Eileen

Hi Eileen,

I am still not understanding why you deducted .25mg of generic?  Are you still at 2mg, and holding, or are you reducing again?

I do understand about the generics.  I just had a problem with my generic, and it messed me all up.  Thankfully it got figured out, and I was able to get the generic brand that works for me, and it is noted in my chart to only fill that one, and to let me know if they can’t. If they can’t then we will have to use the Valium Brand and fight to have my Insurance cover it.

So sorry you didn’t enjoy your massage, that sounds so nice….but also sounds like so much work to actually go and have, if that makes sense.  Hopefully your medication now that it is right (like mine) will start to help you to stabilize…..I am waiting for the same :thumbsup:

Marie

Hi Marie

Hi Joeb-

What if you put your taper off a week and try and introduce to liquid in this week and see how you do? Replace one of your doses with liquid each day and see?  You should know by day 3, if not right away.  If all goes well, then, maybe do your reduction with the liquid.  Just an idea.  It will make things easier to do the reductions with the liquid.  I do my reductions with the liquid and it’s really easy.

Marie

Ive thought about that Marie, but struggling mentally. Want to get rid of that .25 but worried about stability. sounds silly i know but I want to feel like I'm making progress. If I go liquid now I have to test it for a while since the Valium delay (i know I say this alot) and make sure I can adjust to it.

Hate making these decisions. Ativan sucked but it was simple in that I knew what the cut would do the next day so there were no surprises.

I know the sensible more conservative approach would be to try the liquid.......

Joeb- very interesting about his jump and his experience, it makes me want to try…..but I won’t.  Not yet.  I did a mindfulness class a few years back and it is amazing.  I do use it all the time, a true game changer for sure.  I recommend this for everyone.  In fact I should pull out my workbook and reread it and refresh myself.  Once you do the workshops, you just kind of incorporate mindfulness into your daily life, and it is so helpful.  For me, it is especially helpful while driving.  I live in the Bay Area (CA) and it saved me  :laugh:

I can see why you are hesitant about the liquid.  I see that you just transitioned over to the V, and are just “cutting”, so lots of new stuff.  For me the liquid went smooth.  You can do a little of both, and that may help you.  See how you do.  I am at 5.30mg.  So I take a 5mg tab, and then I draw up .30ml.  I will do this for a few more nights and then I will go to 5.25, take a 5, draw up .25ml then .20ml for about 7 days and then down to 1 for another 7 days until I get to my 5mg tap only.  I will take the tab for about 7-9 days, and then switch to 2 2mg tabs and draw .95ml/.90ml for about 6/7 days and keep going down.  So the tabs and liquid can work really well together, obviously I am doing a micro taper, but you could do it with a dry cut too and slowly exchange out some of your dose.  I chose to get rid of all of my day time doses like the Ashton Manuel said to do early on, and followed it.  So I only take my meds at night.  I don’t want to split it up, because I think that would make my sleep even worse. 

I think I have to just start getting out more and exercising and physically wearing myself out.  Like I said, my motivation has been severely lacking but I haven’t been feeling well.  I had to slow my wean down.  Plus I found out my generic brand was changed and that has messed me up, so I think once I can get back on the right brand, and get stabilized that will help me get back to a better place with less sx.

Are you thinking about jumping like he did?  Just curious …….

Marie

Hey Marie can you explain your taper "system' again, I' confused. Do you taper .05 and hold 7 days, then another .05 etc? Sorry I have the same benzo brain mush going on

Marie,

I was just attempting to try the brand Valium, only a bit at a time. So, no I 'm not tapering down at this point. I thought that the brand name Valium might afford some stability, but this was a disaster! I haven't heard back from my doctor yet. The panic was extreme, but Joeb told me to focus on relaxing, and that really helped. I wrote to Colin, but haven't heard back. This process just seems like one disaster after another for me. I think it's because I am so anxious to get off and maybe have a chance at being somewhat normal. So, I went too fast and decreased too much and made my brain really, really angry again. My head hurts just thinking about it. Relaxation is a really important skill. Thanks for caring, Marie. Eileen

Joeb- very interesting about his jump and his experience, it makes me want to try…..but I won’t.  Not yet.  I did a mindfulness class a few years back and it is amazing.  I do use it all the time, a true game changer for sure.  I recommend this for everyone.  In fact I should pull out my workbook and reread it and refresh myself.  Once you do the workshops, you just kind of incorporate mindfulness into your daily life, and it is so helpful.  For me, it is especially helpful while driving.  I live in the Bay Area (CA) and it saved me  :laugh:

I can see why you are hesitant about the liquid.  I see that you just transitioned over to the V, and are just “cutting”, so lots of new stuff.  For me the liquid went smooth.  You can do a little of both, and that may help you.  See how you do.  I am at 5.30mg.  So I take a 5mg tab, and then I draw up .30ml.  I will do this for a few more nights and then I will go to 5.25, take a 5, draw up .25ml then .20ml for about 7 days and then down to 1 for another 7 days until I get to my 5mg tap only.  I will take the tab for about 7-9 days, and then switch to 2 2mg tabs and draw .95ml/.90ml for about 6/7 days and keep going down.  So the tabs and liquid can work really well together, obviously I am doing a micro taper, but you could do it with a dry cut too and slowly exchange out some of your dose.  I chose to get rid of all of my day time doses like the Ashton Manuel said to do early on, and followed it.  So I only take my meds at night.  I don’t want to split it up, because I think that would make my sleep even worse. 

I think I have to just start getting out more and exercising and physically wearing myself out.  Like I said, my motivation has been severely lacking but I haven’t been feeling well.  I had to slow my wean down.  Plus I found out my generic brand was changed and that has messed me up, so I think once I can get back on the right brand, and get stabilized that will help me get back to a better place with less sx.

Are you thinking about jumping like he did?  Just curious …….

Marie

Hey Marie can you explain your taper "system' again, I' confused. Do you taper .05 and hold 7 days, then another .05 etc? Sorry I have the same benzo brain mush going on

Joeb-

First…with your taper.  It is so nice to have the option to do a taper with both pills and liquid.  That is what I do, and a lot of us do.  A “hybrid taper”, so to speak.  You don’t have to go all liquid, or all pills.  That is the beauty, and that is why you can slowly introduce the liquid, and use the liquid to reduce too, and remain on your tablets (if you chose to ) until you got down to the smallest amounts, unless you jump at a higher dose. 

Yes, I reduce .10ml every 6-8 days. 1ml =1mg of Valium.  However, I am now probably doing more like every 8 days.  I am having to slow it down, to reduce my sx.  Tonight I reduce to 5.25 then I will do 5.20 then next night and then 5.25 again for 2 nights…then 5.20…I just stagger it a little even in that micro range, and then stick to the 5.20 for a couple nights straight before I drop to 5.1-5.05, then do that until I get to 5 and I will hold at 5mg for the 8 days or maybe even 10.  Then I switch to the 2mg tabs and it will be 2, 2mg tabs, and I will pull .95ml of the liquid, and start going down with the 1mg (liquid in syringe) all over again.  I will be in the 9’s for about 8 day’s and, then down.  I hope this isn’t too confusing.  It is actually really easy, and I don’t have to weigh anything and I like that I can still take my pills too.  The reason for that is, for me, when I crossed over to all liquid, it didn’t work as well for “me” (many others it has worked just fine) and so, I had to go back to pill’s, but I wasn’t doing well with the “cut and hold” method either and I didn’t want to use scales to do a micro taper.  So I wanted to use liquid too.  Well I finally found a liquid that worked, and also stayed on my pill’s, so it was a win win.  I had seen other’s on here that were doing the “hybrid” of the pills and liquid and that is what gave me the idea.  So anyway.  All liquid may end up working just GREAT for you in the long run like so many other’s….just keep an open mind  :thumbsup:

Marie

I just talked to my doctor, and he said that I should go back to 2 mg generic diazepam and hold until stable. But this is going to be a change that my brain is not going to like (just like last night.) Should I continue taking 1.75 generic and .25 brand Valium? Or should I make the change back to all generic. Eileen

Hi all,

Curious if anyone could tell at what mg dose level do diazepam's own unpleasant side effects (not withdrawal symptoms) begin to lift?

These dose dependent side effects could include: feeling tired, muscle weakness, mood changes, depression or anxiety, paranoia, loss of motivation, mental fog.

I understand it'll be different for all but there might be a common dose range were these get to be less?

I'm at 5.8mgV now doing daily dry taper and hoping a lower dose will at least ease the drug side effects, making tapering just that much easier. So far I have not felt a decrease yet. But a more clear mental state would sure make the withdrawal symptoms simpler to "understand and allow" while less muscle weakness may even make exercise possible again!

Staying open to all possibilities...

I just talked to my doctor, and he said that I should go back to 2 mg generic diazepam and hold until stable. But this is going to be a change that my brain is not going to like (just like last night.) Should I continue taking 1.75 generic and .25 brand Valium? Or should I make the change back to all generic. Eileen

Hi-  How did you do on the generic’s before you cut?  Did this brand work before for you?  If so, and you didn’t have any problems until you did that really big cut ( the one that sent you into the bad sx) I think your doctor is probably right.  Again, “if” you didn’t have any trouble before on that brand until your big cut, it shouldn’t be a problem. 

I think the big issue is you are still in the zone of just needing to stabilize.  Your body/brain is mad/angry like you said (I say that too) and wanting it’s medication back. It is trying to learn how to function again, and this takes time.  When I hit my wall and I was in bad shape, it took a good month to feel better, but then it happened.  Looking back, I wish I would have held for a couple more weeks, but I didn’t and it was okay.  A lot of healing took place in that month and my body was so relieved and “rested”.

Just try and keep an open mind, and stay positive.  Like if this medication was working before, it will work just fine now….and you will just need a couple of days to get adjusted…..and your body will need a little time to recover and “rest”.  Stress is our enemy, so do your best to breathe through the stressful times.

I will check back in a bit  :)

Marie

Hi all,

Curious if anyone could tell at what mg dose level do diazepam's own unpleasant side effects (not withdrawal symptoms) begin to lift?

These dose dependent side effects could include: feeling tired, muscle weakness, mood changes, depression or anxiety, paranoia, loss of motivation, mental fog.

I understand it'll be different for all but there might be a common dose range were these get to be less?

I'm at 5.8mgV now doing daily dry taper and hoping a lower dose will at least ease the drug side effects, making tapering just that much easier. So far I have not felt a decrease yet. But a more clear mental state would sure make the withdrawal symptoms simpler to "understand and allow" while less muscle weakness may even make exercise possible again!

Hi- Welcome to BB’s and our thread.

I wish I could help you but I can’t.  The only side effect I may have had, and didn’t really even realize it was the sleepiness/drowsiness, and it did go away when I got to the lower mg, somewhere right around where you are at. I don’t remember exactly, but pretty close.  I do struggle a lot with lack of motivation, and I don’t know if that is a side effect of V or the w/d (because I never had it when I was on K).  I tend to think it is the w/d, because when I am not having as severe sx, my motivation level is higher.  The sx can really cause all kinds of problems.

When I crossed over from K to V, I went too fast and it was a nightmare and I caused myself all kinds of problems and sx.  Then I went right into cutting and for 4 months my life was horrible.  I finally hit a wall at 10mg and had to hold.  I did find when I held, everything changed and I became a very different person.  So my point is, it is very hard to determine what is the medication, and what is the sx.

Hopefully others will jump in here and can answer your question.  Good job on your taper :thumbsup:  And again, welcome to BB :)

Marie

Marie,

It seemed that the generic had lost all sedating effect. I read that many people do better on the brand, so I wanted to try it. This is all so shocking and baffling. I had no idea that this Benzo hypersensitivity existed.

Does this malady that we all share have a name? My doctor said it's rare. Is that true? It seems like there have been a lot of people on this site. Is any research being done that you know of?

I had a dream early this morning, which is extremely strange considering that I have not remembered a dream in months. In it I was driving in the mountains and there was a tunnel but it was closed off with chain link so I couldn't get thru. I woke up feeling panicked and depressed. I have really been trying to practice relaxation and doing mindfulness meditation. I felt more positive yesterday, but now I feel really low. I also have a really hard time remembering things.

I seem to be stuck on 2mg. I have caused my own problems. I'm back 100% on the generic and trying to stableize. I imagine that my brain will let me know how angry it is about dropping the brand name sometime around the 13th.

Thank you for being such a kind and caring person, Marie. It means so much!

Eileen

Hello 👋🏼

I’ve been fairly stabilized on liquid Valium for the past month or so.

I was holding there to try to get off of last bit of Zoloft before taking down Valium. I had tapered Zoloft down to 3mg, then about 2, then crumbs. I thought it was slowly enough (I’ve been at it 1.5 years). I ended up going back up to 5mg after intolerable withdrawal symptoms.

So I will continue with my small Zoloft dose, I guess, and once stabilized I’ll start Valium taper.

I was on clonazepam for a long time and crossed over to liquid V a few months ago.

I was incredibly sensitive to changes in clonaz dose. I was micro tapering at ~2% per month 😬

Where do I start with tapering liquid Valium?

I am on 3mg (3ml) once a day.

Any words of wisdom?

Hi

History

Due to burnout in teaching less than 2 years ago I have been placed on medication. Currently taking:

Mirtazapine 15mg

Imipramine 75mg

Diazepam 11.5mg (was reducing)

Temazepam 10mg

(Before burnout I never took any meds)

Been on pop (cerezette) for 10+ years

GP placed me on HRT - Evorel Sequi - based on slightly raised FSH level and to try to address low mood - but I had no other menopausal symptoms in April 2021.

This means I am taking 2 weeks estrogen and 2 weeks progesterone by patch.

I see and feel no difference in taking the patches but at the end of each cycle of progesterone I appear to be having increased anxiety and/or a dip in mood.

I have read that benzos and progesterone affect the same gaba receptors in your brain and that progesterone is cross tolerant with benzos.

I feel like I would like to stop the patches.

I believe however that stopping the patches completely could create an effect similar to a benzo withdrawal due to my other medications.

What would be the safest way to proceed?

Hi all,

hi SS welcome to our thread, I’m just starting my Valium taper so I also cannot answer your question. What I can say is that even though my Ativan taper was hell since I went too fast I did notice short durations of improvement as I got lower. Valium is new to me I crossed over at 3.5mg held for about 2 months for family visits and have just started tapering. Hope you stay with us on this thread and offer your support, perspectives and questions

Joeb

Hi Marie

Hi Joeb-

Marie

Hi Marie where have you been? Hope your doing ok, I decided to try the .25 cut crossing my fingers it goes well. Going to hold for 2 weeks then try liquid on my midday dose with another 1-2 week hold. Hopefully allow time for the Valium delay to settle in

Hope to hear from you soon

Hey guys, hope you're all doing well. I have some questions regarding cross-over from lorazepam to diazepam.

Please take a quick look at my signature, the part when I started using lorazepam, so you get the context:

A few days ago I was at 0.5mg lorazepam + 2mg diazepam. Switched half of lorazepam dose to diazepam so currently I'm at 0.25mg lorazepam + 4mg diazepam. And I feel like diazepam is building up and I feel more sedated than when I was using 0.5 + 2  (Which is expected because of longer half life). In other words it feels like a slight updose.

Soon I'll be crossing the last 0.25mg lorazepam to diazepam. I don't do it in the strict conversion dosage like Ashton says. Ashton says that 0.25 lorazepam = 2.5 diazepam. I do 0.25 = 2, and thus far didn't have any major problems.

So my question is this: since diazepam stays in the body for a longer time, and I feel the effects stronger than when I was taking just lorazepam, how do I switch the last 0.25mg to diazepam? I feel if I take 6 mg diazepam in total that it will be a significant updose. Maybe I can switch the last 0.25mg to 1.5mg diazepam and see how it goes from there?

Do you see my concern? Is it possible I'm updosing at this point, because diazepam buildup?