Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hi,

I had my heart checked last year and the outcome of all tests was: nothing wrong with  your heart! So I convinced myself such was the case and I just had to let go all worries I had about that.

It worked!

Trochsetter

I'm inquiring about itching as an effect of slowly lowering Diazepam.

I have succeeded at reducing all Diazepam in the afternoon (per Ashton) and have begun lowering the morning dose (by 2mg per week). Since I started this (on Memorial Day-almost 3 days ago), I notice minor itches that vary in place, duration and intensity throughout the day, and 3 specific places that feel more like bug bite itches (more consistent and I use a mild cream to help- doesn't very much). I'm trying to ignore/distract myself from all of them.

Anyone experience this?

Have suggestions?

Thank you, Rascal

I have succeeded at reducing all Diazepam in the afternoon (per Ashton) and have begun lowering the morning dose (by 2mg per week). Since I started this (on Memorial Day-almost 3 days ago), I notice minor itches that vary in place, duration and intensity throughout the day, and 3 specific places that feel more like bug bite itches (more consistent and I use a mild cream to help- doesn't very much). I'm trying to ignore/distract myself from all of them.

Anyone experience this?

Have suggestions?

Thank you, Rascal

Yes, -its pretty common for several meds, and comes in all shapes and sizes, so to speak..

Just dont be fooled by “phantom splinters” and dig holes all over your body.. :(

-And sometimes ant bites are actually ant bites, but not always..!! 

There *may* be a bit of a histamine connection, but things, when bad, have always settled down for me in time as I get a bit more stable..

Iv had some success with ice and Calamine Lotion (the pink stuff), and if Iv been scratching too much I dab on a bit of peroxide and seem to be able to forget about the annoyance for a while..

-Obviously itchy eyes etc are a bit different, there I use lubricating drops, and find it a big help to wash around my eyes/lids several times a day with plain cool water..

-Itchy nuts.. -well there is only one cure for that..!!

:)

I'll just add one more thing to what Can't said, which I agree with.  I found that when I was "itchy", it was partly because my skin was just very dry and sensitive, which definitely was from withdrawal.  I was intolerant to most lotions/creams so I resorted to slathering on Sunflower or Almond oil onto my skin.  This worked well but it did ruin the clothes I was wearing over time so make sure that afterwards, you put on clothes that you don't care about.

Hi All I'm wondering about tapering V...

my doc suggests to do every other day taper to get 0.25mg reductions... as in .. 1mg day 1, 0.5 mg day 2, 1mg day 3... etc... for 2 weeks so that it works out to be a 0.25mg reduction.

Has anyone heard of that..? does it make sense to do it? She's concerned that 0.5mg cuts may be too much for me so wants me to cut 0.25mg every 2 weeks in the way noted above.

I wonder how I'd feel the drop though... unless i just cut 0.5mg . I'm currently doing a crossover so i dont know how i'll feel on Valium... i only know i was miserable on Ativan and was not able to cut.

also when you do make a cut on V when do you feel it? Like by day 3/4 or so? And once you feel it how long to restablize before you can reduce again?

Thanks everyone!

hugs.

Hi All I'm wondering about tapering V...

my doc suggests to do every other day taper to get 0.25mg reductions... as in .. 1mg day 1, 0.5 mg day 2, 1mg day 3... etc... for 2 weeks so that it works out to be a 0.25mg reduction.

Has anyone heard of that..? does it make sense to do it? She's concerned that 0.5mg cuts may be too much for me so wants me to cut 0.25mg every 2 weeks in the way noted above.

I wonder how I'd feel the drop though... unless i just cut 0.5mg . I'm currently doing a crossover so i dont know how i'll feel on Valium... i only know i was miserable on Ativan and was not able to cut.

also when you do make a cut on V when do you feel it? Like by day 3/4 or so? And once you feel it how long to restablize before you can reduce again?

Thanks everyone!

hugs.

Hi Jess,

In theory atleast, its not the best way, perhaps more so at lower doses.. But in practice its a “maybe” and probs depends on your individual situation and sensitivity..

Given a recent cross over, so much will be unknown and perhaps a “try and see” thing..

Way back when, I got to once every 7-10 day dosing at around 20mg/week, but it wasnt pretty and led me to finding this site..

Later at 0.5mg I kept forgetting to dose and slowly ended up jumping, but got hit hard a couple of months out, -which was normal for me and my pill splitting cuts.. I also had other meds in the mix that likely cushioned things a bit..

I ended up splitting 1/8th (0.25v) daily, and did much better.. Im probs not a great example to use in general though.. Its really going to depend on your own tapering parameters and how you do on the valium once crossed over..

Liquid might be another option..??

Is your Dr flexible and up for a symptom based taper if you need extra time..??

...Perhaps good news, -I jumped from 0.25v and it went pretty well.. I could tell I was finally ready and healing up.. (It took time though)..

One step at a time and you will get there..!!

Anyone experience this?

Have suggestions?

Thank you, Rascal

Yes, -its pretty common for several meds, and comes in all shapes and sizes, so to speak..

Just dont be fooled by “phantom splinters” and dig holes all over your body.. :(

There *may* be a bit of a histamine connection, but things, when bad, have always settled down for me in time as I get a bit more stable..

Iv had some success with ice and Calamine Lotion (the pink stuff), and if Iv been scratching too much I dab on a bit of peroxide and seem to be able to forget about the annoyance for a while..

-Obviously itchy eyes etc are a bit different, there I use lubricating drops, and find it a big help to wash around my eyes/lids several times a day with plain cool water..

thanks bunches, normalizing, and especially hearing this calms down is very helpful to me!

Rascal

Anyone experience this?

Have suggestions?

Thank you, Rascal

thanks bunches, normalizing, and especially hearing this calms down is very helpful to me!

Rascal

No Probs at all.. :)

-Iv actually ben paying more attention to all my differing “itches” now.. I just did a big cut so everything is stirred up..

I get little irresistible spots that just need a quick rub when physical anxiety is high with my “toxic day naps”, or like just a fine hair rubbing on my face makes my skin go crazy till I rub it..  Seems to be something to do with that relaxing into sleep or drifting off moment.. Probs just super sensitive nerves or their messages at that time..??

I dont get a lot of anxiety asides day naps, so I wonder if others notice a connection..?

...my random 2am blurt.. -done..!!

Hi everyone, I have been on Valium since August 2020 and I started tapering in December 2020 by dropping 0.5mg per fortnight. I had absolutely no withdrawals until I hit 2.5mg - about a week after hitting 2.5mg I got bad insomnia which has lasted for over a week now. Once I stabilise and my insomnia calms down I'm going to start tapering again. Do you think I could still drop 0.5mg increments but hold for a month each drop? Thanks so much

Good Morning All

I am wondering if I can get some help or support or opinions or experience please.

Has anyone started their Valium taper when not completely stable? I.e. having good and very bad days?

I am going up and down with symptoms following an updose from 3.5 to 6mg 9 weeks ago and am being told by a U.K. benzo support charity that I should start to taper even though not stable.

If you started from an unstable point I would love to hear from you.

Thank you.

Maa x

Hi Nicjk,

Great you've come down this far.

I think you have been tapering quite fast. It might be a good idea to slow down now. The lower you get, the bigger a 0,5 mg cut is in %.

Maybe you could taper 0,2 mg every 2 weeks or so. Your body will tell you how fast or slow to go.

Good luck!

Trochsetter

Hi Trochsetter, thanks very much for your response. Looks like I'm going to taper more slowly with advice and help from Slownsteady on another thread :) . I'm so pleased to have found this forum!

Hi Nicjk,

Great you've come down this far.

I think you have been tapering quite fast. It might be a good idea to slow down now. The lower you get, the bigger a 0,5 mg cut is in %.

Maybe you could taper 0,2 mg every 2 weeks or so. Your body will tell you how fast or slow to go.

Good luck!

Trochsetter

Oh man so i'm doing my crossover from A to V and so far its gone super well but last night i took my final dose of A and 20 mins after I took my last crossover (new higher) dose of V i had all over body itching. It has not let up. today is the next day and i'm still itching all over my body its driving me crazy. I have never had this symptom before. I've read its common but OMG.... did anyone have this as a crosssover symptom that settled? I hope so i don't know how i can manage this. I don't do well with OTC meds so i don't want to take anything else.

Thanks for listening xo

Hi Jess,

Yes, I did have itching and it did settle down.  I slathered lots of almond and sunflower oil on my skin and that settled it too as part of the reason for the itching was dryness.  This ruined the clothes I was wearing so beware if you try it. 

Thanks Momof7!

Actually the itching has let up so that's great bit I feel 'sick' like nausea, anxiety etc. I read you had said it took 5 weeks to adjust to V was that including your crossover or after the crossover? So I took about 3 weeks to cross and prior the cross was going great! Except this last dose change now that I'm on V has been the hardest one with the most symproms. It's been 4 nights and I still feel ill.. does that sound normal? That it may just take a little longer to adjust ? I worry about if I chose too high of an equivalency but how would I know really... I just hope I stabilize. Thanks for responding!!

Jess,

Glad to hear it let up.  With the nausea, everyone is different.  I had nausea before and I also had it some after.  It did settle for me as did so many things.  I'm not symptom free but way better than I was, with tons of symptoms before.  Several days to 1 week into the c/o is when things got really hard for me with head pressure being the worst thing.  We are all so different but there is hope that it will get better for you.  Hang in there!

Hi Momof7,

So once you did your final cross (ie. Dropped the final dose of K to be fully on V) how long from that point did it take to stabilize? I know we are all different.,. Just hoping things will improve. I'm finally fully on V but this last transition is the hardest and I'm the most symptomatic. I thought once I got fully on V all would be good but so far not the case .. unless it just takes a little longer to adjust to this last dose since I've dropped the A. That's what I'm hoping anyways. And apologies if I'm repeating myself... Just need the reasurance.... (Even tho I know it's not Guarenteed of course.

Hi all,

I did a 4 week crossover from A to V (3mg). The first 3 crossover weeks went pretty smooth and i was so grateful for the V however since my final switch 5 days ago and no more A in my system I feel like Acute sxs (high anxiety, palpitations, nausea, tired but wired). It's SO bad. I don't understand how this could happen. Now I'm wondering if I should have done it over 6 weeks but I cannot go back in time.

Just wondering if this will get better?

Has anyone seen this happen? I'm so scared about what I've done. I just couldn't taper the A anymore. I really want to survive this.

Jess, I had a time of increased anxiety after I finished switching from Klonopin to Valium and I did it over 6 weeks. I also had the head pressure Momof7babes mentioned. It gradually got better over the course of a month. Unfortunately even with a slow crossover, you can experience withdrawal from the original benzo, but it will pass.

Thanks Kitsune for your reply!! I did worry for a bit too if it was the V (too much because I get the nausea when I dose the V) but the anxiety is so bad maybe it is the Ati WD. Ulgh the waiting period and unknown is so difficult. It does feel like Acute. I'll just pray it passes.

When you say increased anxiety did it feel like Acute? ( ie. Mental, physical, nausea, pulsing in my body, heart Palps, yet exhausted etc) .. sorry for listing off symptoms I just get worried if it's normal.

Funny during the windows I don't need so much reassurance as I do in waves. Sorry for bothering you with more questions. I'm just scared you know.

Jess, no need to apologize, we all have times when we need extra reassurance. I did have some bouts of acute-like anxiety, but they were intermittent and eventually went away. Hang in there. ❤️

Another thing to keep in mind, you crossed over to a lower equivalent dose of Valium so your body is likely treating it as a cut plus WD from Ativan. I would hold my dose until I felt better.

Hi everyone,

I am looking at transferring from a solid Diazepam pill to liquid Diazepam. I will transfer to liquid when I reach 2.5mg of Diazepam (after stabilising on the solid version for 2 weeks) and I'll stay on the same dose until I'm used to the liquid version. Has anyone else here done the switch? If so, how did it go for you?

Big thanks,

Nic

I switched from homebrew liquid (using dissolved tablets) to prescription liquid. The transition was pretty smooth. The prescription liquid tastes pretty gross (my friend Shayna calls it “minty bum flavor”). Otherwise I have no complaints. There are a lot of us here on prescription liquid so hopefully others will chime in too.

Thanks for sharing your experience Kitsune556. "minty bum flavour"  :laugh: .I'm glad the transition went well for you. Did you have any trouble transitioning when you went from a solid pill to your homebrew?