Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I know of some who feel their cuts on Day 5 with Valium.  As you said, I think metabolism and other factors are definitely at work here.  I also think that weight may be a factor as well - I read an article that spoke about this somewhere.  The more a person weighs, the longer the medication stays in their system.

I was wondering about this. Considering that diazepam is especially lipophilic it makes sense that those who weigh more (specifically more body fat) would have the drug stay in their system longer.

Hi group

Agree, so many factors to consider when tapering. Even lenght of use could be a factor. The 14 day guideline is like a point of reference or evaluation point to either wait or cut. It is really like all have stated -- a personal decision and not a fixed number of days and hours.

I held 4 mg for many months becasue I made heavy cuts during crossover and stortly after that with valium. And I was a short time user.

Looks like----------it is time for me to lose some weight!

This article is interesting--https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-anxious-history-of-valium-1384547451

Cheers

Blue, I agree, I didn’t notice much effect at 4 mg and less. At this point in my taper I’m certain it’s not doing anything for me.

Kit

It is an interesting topic.

Last month, I told my doc that 4 mg had no noticeable effect. He said what do you mean; I stated that I do not feel any mental/physical changes.

He then stated---it is because you are tapering.

I would guess such is good. Valium loses it effectiveness fairly rapidly (read somewhere). Yet we are not craving and increasing the dose.

Any thoughts.

Also, how did it go with your fairly rapid taper from 4 mg to 1.5 mg.

Cheers

Blue, I agree, I didn’t notice much effect at 4 mg and less. At this point in my taper I’m certain it’s not doing anything for me.

Kit

It is an interesting topic.

Last month, I told my doc that 4 mg had no noticeable effect. He said what do you mean; I stated that I do not feel any mental/physical changes.

He then stated---it is because you are tapering.

I would guess such is good. Valium loses it effectiveness fairly rapidly (read somewhere). Yet we are not craving and increasing the dose.

Any thoughts.

Also, how did it go with your fairly rapid taper from 4 mg to 1.5 mg.

Cheers

I tapered from 20 mg to .48 mg last year in 10.5 months. 4 mg to 1.5 mg in about 10 months, so much slower this time around. Honestly, my taper last year was much easier. I didn’t run into trouble until I jumped and things got scary. This time around I’ve been a lot more careful, especially slowing it down the lower I get. I took 69 days to drop to 3 mg, 100 days to drop to 2 mg, and likely 200+ days to drop to 1 mg. There have been times where I thought, maybe if I took a bigger dose it would alleviate my anxiety, but I know after I reinstated last year that updosing won’t help, so I haven’t. I have never “craved” benzos thankfully. When I was on Klonopin I got much more immediate relief of anxiety, Valium has never felt like that for me.

That was really interesting Blue. I can see why Diazepam is the benzo of choice to taper.

I don't think I've had any therapeutic benefit from Valium since I got below 3 mgs. I definitely feel I've been healing and my receptors have been up-regulating as I taper. That is as long as I go nice and slow and hold if I have to. It seems the lower I go the better my cognitive function.

Val, I agree, we shouldn't taper according to a time factor but by symptoms. I've kindled too and it's completely manageable as long as you go slow and hold if you have to

Hi group

I got a kick out of my doc on a zoom appointment. Told him I am down to 3.2 mg. He said to continue with your 5 to 10% and don't worry about it (like Ashton states in her manual). I asked him what he thought about my 3.2 mg dose and he smiled and said--that's a baby dose.

Also, have a question about benzo belly. I came across the term and wondered if anyone has had the sx while tapering V.

Cheers

PS - Jwl et al. Glad you found my V metabolite comment to be interesting. Appreciate it.

Hi group

I got a kick out of my doc on a zoom appointment. Told him I am down to 3.2 mg. He said to continue with your 5 to 10% and don't worry about it (like Ashton states in her manual). I asked him what he thought about my 3.2 mg dose and he smiled and said--that's a baby dose.

Also, have a question about benzo belly. I came across the term and wondered if anyone has had the sx while tapering V.

Cheers

PS - Jwl et al. Glad you found my V metabolite comment to be interesting. Appreciate it.

Yes, benzo belly is pretty common blue,  my guess a huge majority of us have it or had it.  I have it off and on.  Lots of gaba receptors in the stomach.  :). Very unpleasant, the worst is how big your tummy can blow up.  :(

Mary, I'm glad you mentioned GABA receptors in the gut. I take GABA supplements and although it doesn't cross the BBB I feel that it helps my benzo belly. I think I read that the gut also produces more Serotonin than any part of the body. It was one of the main things my Function doc had me address

Mary, I'm glad you mentioned GABA receptors in the gut. I take GABA supplements and although it doesn't cross the BBB I feel that it helps my benzo belly. I think I read that the gut also produces more Serotonin than any part of the body. It was one of the main things my Function doc had me address

What's the name of the supplements, I would love to read up on them  ;)

Hi group

Cheers

Yes, benzo belly is pretty common blue,  my guess a huge majority of us have it or had it.  I have it off and on.  Lots of gaba receptors in the stomach.  :). Very unpleasant, the worst is how big your tummy can blow up.  :(

Thanks Mary for the confirmation.

Indeed, the tummy expands like one has consumed a soccer ball.

And a cacohonic uproar in the gut! Seems better today.

Cheers

Hi, I have a question for the group. I'm very new at this. So far I've been cutting every 3 wEeks. I've been feeling ok but no great. This time I've waited a couple more days. I when am I in danger of reaching tolerance. I'm pretty sure I'm not one of those people that can cut and hold for months. When I have a few days or feeling good or better is that my cue to cUt?  Thanks

TG, I usually give it a week of feeling good before I start making cuts. The way tolerance was explained to me is that you’re on a set amount of drug and it’s no longer doing what it did. If you are tapering then it’s withdrawal, not tolerance. I hope that makes sense.  :o The thing to pay attention to is your symptoms. Valium is sneaky because it and it’s metabolites have a long half-life. That means symptoms can sneak up on you. The other thing is that you go as fast as you are comfortable. If you’re comfortable with a certain level of symptoms then stick with a particular taper rate.

Thanks for your reply. I am functional but not feeling great. i am able to cook drive spend time with the family and do some online work during the week.  Some days, I have just a couple of meetings other days, my meetings are all day. Other days I'm laying down.  I have faint anxiety most of the day and I have constant chills. I also have depresion, which I never had until Valium. I'm going to wait a few more days to cut 1 mg from my afternoon dose. Thanks again

Mary, I'm glad you mentioned GABA receptors in the gut. I take GABA supplements and although it doesn't cross the BBB I feel that it helps my benzo belly. I think I read that the gut also produces more Serotonin than any part of the body. It was one of the main things my Functional doc had me address

What's the name of the supplements, I would love to read up on them  ;)

Hi Mary. It's Now GABA 500 mgs

Hi, I have a question for the group. I'm very new at this. So far I've been cutting every 3 wEeks. I've been feeling ok but no great. This time I've waited a couple more days. I when am I in danger of reaching tolerance. I'm pretty sure I'm not one of those people that can cut and hold for months. When I have a few days or feeling good or better is that my cue to cUt?  Thanks

I agree with Kit, I would not worry about tolerance and I would definitely not let it be a factor in how fast you taper. I've held for 6 months and 2 years on Valium and have only felt better after each hold.

I agree with Kit, I would not worry about tolerance and I would definitely not let it be a factor in how fast you taper. I've held for 6 months and 2 years on Valium and have only felt better after each hold.

Great advice for sure.

Thanks for the replies.  waiting a month versus cutting at 3 weeks made a big difference. I had more energy and way more functional. TG

I am finally down to 4 mg!!..YEA.

I am still thinking of trying to switch to Rx Roxanne liquid instead of making my own liquid from pills for my taper portion of my dose.

For those of you that already switched to Rx liquid, did you notice an increase in WD SX for a period of time after you switched or did you feel the same as you did before. I am just trying to prepare myself for what to possibly expect if I do switch to Rx liquid. I know we all react differently to each type of med, but I would like to hear what you experienced after you switched to Rx Liquid for your taper.

Thanks to all

JoJo :smitten:

JoJo

Congrats on getting down to 4 mg. Yay

I know many people who have no problem with Roxanne, but for me-

not good at all. I’ve tried it twice, both times HUGE uptick in symptoms and long time to recover.

I use Builder’s formula with Vodka. Pretty easy process

xx Lil

I am still thinking of trying to switch to Rx Roxanne liquid instead of making my own liquid from pills for my taper portion of my dose.

For those of you that already switched to Rx liquid, did you notice an increase in WD SX for a period of time after you switched or did you feel the same as you did before. I am just trying to prepare myself for what to possibly expect if I do switch to Rx liquid. I know we all react differently to each type of med, but I would like to hear what you experienced after you switched to Rx Liquid for your taper.

Thanks to all

There is a little adjustments when you switch to liquid. Not necessarily an uptick in symptoms but it's just different. I think liquid metabolizes differently than pills. It usually takes me about a week or so to adjust.

JoJo

Congrats on getting down to 4 mg. Yay

I know many people who have no problem with Roxanne, but for me-

not good at all. I’ve tried it twice, both times HUGE uptick in symptoms and long time to recover.

I use Builder’s formula with Vodka. Pretty easy process

xx Lil

Thanks Lil,

I use the vodka method now, but it has always been hard on my stomach. I was just thinking the Rx liquid may be a bit easier. Pills alone do not bother me, but when I dissolve them is when I have the stomach issues.

Thanks to all

There is a little adjustments when you switch to liquid. Not necessarily an uptick in symptoms but it's just different. I think liquid metabolizes differently than pills. It usually takes me about a week or so to adjust.

Thanks Jwl,

I may just have to give it a try to see if I can tolerate it. If not, I can always go back to dissolving pills in vodka. Using Rx liquid would be easier than dissolving pills in vodka and one less thing to have to think about. Just mix Rx with water..done.

Hello everybody,

I'm new on the forum and already have a question. So right now I'm tapering Clonazepam, my beginning dose was 0,75 mg and now I'm at 0,47mg, I'm having lots of withdrawal symptoms. I was wondering if switching for valium is a smoother way to taper ?

Thank you !

Hello everybody,

I'm new on the forum and already have a question. So right now I'm tapering Clonazepam, my beginning dose was 0,75 mg and now I'm at 0,47mg, I'm having lots of withdrawal symptoms. I was wondering if switching for valium is a smoother way to taper ?

Thank you !

How long did you take to taper from .75 to .47 mg? It’s possible that you’re symptomatic because you’re going faster than your body can handle. That being said, I switched from Klonopin to Valium and have found Valium to be much easier to taper.