Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

I'm crossing over From Ativan to Valium and on on my 3rd day now and need advice. I had been  taking .5mg Ativan 2 times daily. Now I'm taking .375mg Ativan and 1.25mg Valium 2x daily. I started this to get on the Ashton schedule and because I was having withdrawal between my Ativan doses. As mentioned this is day 3 of that c/o. There is good news and bad so far and I'm confused on where to go. The good news is I'm sleeping a little better and have been feeling good for the first 10 hours after a dose. The bad news is that the 1 to 2 hours prior to my next dose are worse than what they were before I started the c/o. My question is, am I better off transitioning sooner to .25mg Ativan and 2.5mg Valium per dose so that I can start letting the Valium take more of the load or will that make matters worse and I should wait a bit. While on the Ativan alone I would have more extended periods between doses that I felt bad, and my sleep was terrible. Now the in between dose withdrawal are shorter but quite a bit more intense. I don’t know how long this c/o should take or the dangers. My doctor seems to think I can go pretty much direct from one to the other but I’m not sure I buy into that from what I’ve read. Compounding this problem is I’ve been prescribed generic lorazepam that is not scored so trying to cut a pill into an accurate 3/4 section is difficult. I’m also concerned there may be issues that simply haven’t had time to manifest and taking the next step may open a can of worms.

In case it wasn’t clear from my post above, my goal is to go from 1mg Ativan daily to 10mg Valium so I can start the Ashton schedule from that point.

Just understand Seemam....the crossover can be tough for some and you are going to feel it especially with Ativan and the reason is because the Ativan is leaving your system much more rapidly than the Valium is building up.  The Valium half life is like 200 hours like that. So just understand, what you are feeling is totally normal and there's a scientific reason for it.  I crossed over from Klonopin and I took 5 weeks to cross over.  It wasn't easy but a good buddy assured me that all that I was feeling was normal and she had it too - for me, I had severe head pressure, itching, and some other nasty side effects and w/d symptoms from Klonopin.  Some actually can cross over and be fine and feel better immediately but others can not and the slower crossover helps to ensure that. 

One thing that some will do is front load their Valium before they reduce or cut the other drug.  So next time, you may want to consider adding the Valium for a few days first and then eliminate the Ativan - you will be taking both at the same time but only for a few days.  That will give you a head start and may cut down on some of those severe Ativan withdrawals that you are likely feeling right now. 

Hi Seamam, I agree with everything Mom said. Just for another perspective, I crossed over from Klonopin in the Ashton timeline (I forget what it was now) and had no problems at all. I felt a bit sleepier from the Valium at first but no withdrawals. I wish you a smooth transition!

I so appreciate everyone who contributes to this thread, I've been sending members here who need your specific expertise, thanks so much for sharing it.  :smitten:

I so appreciate everyone who contributes to this thread, I've been sending members here who need your specific expertise, thanks so much for sharing it.  :smitten:

💪

Hello Everybody,

I am in hell. I have been on Valium for 20 years.  9 yrs ago I had to have several surgeries and was put on Oxycodone, then Vicodin over a 3 yr period.

. In order to taper off the Dr put me on Tramadol. That was a horrible withdrawal also...I continued on my valium, which prior to the surgeries I was on 10 mg or 5 mg a night for sleep.. Then I stayed on my Valium, hoping that I could taper off using the cutting method. I just realized that I have been in withdrawal now for 9 yrs.  Every horrible symptom has been going on for 9 yrs.

I  did get down to 1 mg or 3/4 during the day and 2 mg at night. But I am still suffering withdrawal on that dose. It hasn't worked.  I never took it during day before, because it makes me tired and I have to function

I have been tested for everything and I have no medical issues. I finally figured that I was in ongoing withdrawal for 9 yrs after seeing the CNN documentary with Lisa Lang It's getting worse now...and when I look at the water tapering method it makes sense to me.

I do not know if I should updose to get stable and comfortable . I have been just taking it as needed.

I do not know what dose to start at. I am guessing that my current dose that adds up to about 4 mg a day is keeping me in withdrawal.

I live in the Sherman Oaks area of los Angeles and can only find the old fashioned of substituting anti depressants (which I have tried and have never helped...only creating more side effects) and I do not want to be on drugs for the rest of my life

I went to AA and NA, but they all told me to just stop. I felt like a failure because I couldn't go through with just saying "no"

I also take Progeseterone and just saw on youtube that it STOPS the GABA transmitters from coming back.

I would so appreciate communicating with people because I feel so alone.

My mom was on Valium her entire life (and alcohol) She gave me my first Valium when I was 17, thinking that she was helping me.

Thanks for being there.

Hey Radha, welcome to bb.  The Lisa Ling show brought a lot of people here, most of us had no idea what was happening to us, did all the medical tests, came back fine, just like you.  It's a horrible experience knowing something is wrong, but not knowing what.  My husband accidentally came across an article on benzo's and stomach issues. our first clue. 

So , if I am wrong you correct me okay?  The only meds you are on now is progesterone and Valium.

You think you are averaging 4 mgs a day and your symptoms are really bad right now?

Can you give me some dates on when you tapered the other meds and how long you think you have been on 4 mgs?  Tell me about your symptoms.  There is no water titration, it will either be 💯 whole milk, a pharmaceutical Liquid Diazapam, or that same stuff pharmacies use to mix with you can get off Amazon.  When you are ready to taper, we will help you through all that.  If it is really important you are functional, you may need to updose. 

You are in the right place, I promise will be here for you.  Mary 💜

Hey DSGers,

Is it normal for you to feel like absolute bu##crack when you make even a slight cut in your dose?

Brain constriction, dizziness, lead feeling, bandy legs, marionette feeling?

I make no more than a .02mL cut, and I feel absolutely terrible.

Dave.

Hi Crowman,

Don't know if it's normal from everyone,  but it sure is for me.

I get hit by the smallest cut. And usually the following day. Makes it so hard to get off this poison.

Good luck with your taper.

Hey DSGers,

Is it normal for you to feel like absolute bu##crack when you make even a slight cut in your dose?

Brain constriction, dizziness, lead feeling, bandy legs, marionette feeling?

I make no more than a .02mL cut, and I feel absolutely terrible.

Dave.

Hey Crowman, how long have you been cutting that amount?  Are you functional or really symptomatic?  Have you considered holding to give your brain and central nervous system an opportunity to stabilize, giving your body a chance to catch up with your taper?  Mary 🍀

Hello all

Just dropping in to say--hi.

Been cutting a bit last few weeks. Down to 4.5 mg as of today.

Cheers

Awesome job!!!  :thumbsup:

Thank you--CandiceJM. And OregonKatz and OliveKitty--much appreciated.

CandiceJM--Your pace is also up there in the awesome area.

Cheers

Hello Everybody,

I am in hell. I have been on Valium for 20 years.  9 yrs ago I had to have several surgeries and was put on Oxycodone, then Vicodin over a 3 yr period.

. In order to taper off the Dr put me on Tramadol. That was a horrible withdrawal also...I continued on my valium, which prior to the surgeries I was on 10 mg or 5 mg a night for sleep.. Then I stayed on my Valium, hoping that I could taper off using the cutting method. I just realized that I have been in withdrawal now for 9 yrs.  Every horrible symptom has been going on for 9 yrs.

I  did get down to 1 mg or 3/4 during the day and 2 mg at night. But I am still suffering withdrawal on that dose. It hasn't worked.  I never took it during day before, because it makes me tired and I have to function

I have been tested for everything and I have no medical issues. I finally figured that I was in ongoing withdrawal for 9 yrs after seeing the CNN documentary with Lisa Lang It's getting worse now...and when I look at the water tapering method it makes sense to me.

I do not know if I should updose to get stable and comfortable . I have been just taking it as needed.

I do not know what dose to start at. I am guessing that my current dose that adds up to about 4 mg a day is keeping me in withdrawal.

I live in the Sherman Oaks area of los Angeles and can only find the old fashioned of substituting anti depressants (which I have tried and have never helped...only creating more side effects) and I do not want to be on drugs for the rest of my life

I went to AA and NA, but they all told me to just stop. I felt like a failure because I couldn't go through with just saying "no"

I also take Progeseterone and just saw on youtube that it STOPS the GABA transmitters from coming back.

I would so appreciate communicating with people because I feel so alone.

My mom was on Valium her entire life (and alcohol) She gave me my first Valium when I was 17, thinking that she was helping me.

Thanks for being there.

You're not alone, ever.  I promise.  :smitten:  I'm so sorry that you are suffering.  Your story is so similar to the masses of people who have been placed on benzos along with other medications... so many times I have read that a person was given another medication to treat the side effects of the one they are on.  And so on and so on.  Please know you're going to find your way through this.  Many people feel their worst when they are in tolerance before they begin their taper.  There's no where to go but up from here. 

If you want to micro taper using a liquid- you can get a prescription for liquid Valium- either made by the pharmaceutical company, or a compounding pharmacy.  If your doctor refuses to switch you to a liquid to taper, you can make your own from your pills.  There's tons of advice on how to do this, here on this forum.  Benzos are not soluble in water, so you need to use a tiny amount of either either vodka or propylene glycol to dissolve the tablet, and then disperse it in a liquid.  Again, tons of information on here to do this correctly.  Many people find they have to take time to stabilize on the liquid when switching to it from tablet form.  Hold as long as necessary until you feel ready to begin reducing.

If you can avoid updosing, I would.  Try tapering first and see how your body handles it.  Your total daily dose is 4 mg, so maybe begin with a reduction of .013 mg daily, (which would equate to a 10% monthly dose reduction).  After your first month, calculate what 10% is of your current dose at that point and divide it by 30 to find your new daily reduction.  We call this method a daily liquid micro taper.  Some people reduce the entire 5-10% in one cut and then hold until they feel stabilized.  That method is called cut and hold.  You can experiment with these methods to find what works best for your body.

You're going to make it through this, give yourself love and grace for being so brave to begin the journey towards freedom from benzodiazepines.  And remember, you are never, ever alone. 

Hello all

Wanted to get some feedback/input into fatigue as a sx of tapering.

Presently, take my dose mid-evening. Even with sufficient sleep wake up often not feeling rested with a busy thought process (improving slowly).

The day time fatigue is more of a sluggishness with heavy eyes. Yet, unable to nap--just can't fall asleep during the day. As if a 24 ounce cup of coffee would perk me up. Refrain from coffee and my dozens of tea varieties (nearing expiration) even skipping decaf process (FYI--one can make decaf tea with either loose or bags by steeping 1 minute which release nearly all the caffeine--the caffeine referred to as--theine by tea tasters. Pour the liquor out and refill for about four minutes depending on variety--for about 80+% caffeine free).

Feeling like a cup of rose tea as I type!

I drink, likely, too much lavender and chamomile tea and prefer it on the strong side. That is all I drink these days. 

Must admit I do take a trazdone 50 mg and have used it extensively in the past. It can cause daytime sluggishness. Using it to complement taper and thereafter.

Like everyone there is more to my story then the sig and will discuss once near or at taper completion.

I know--I am long winded.

Cheers to all

Really getting slammed here at .75mgs. I’m micro tapering and going slow so I’m not sure what is causing this. Is it possible that I have entered maybe the acute phase while at the end of my taper ?

Feeling really discouraged today. I was so close to being free from this. Now I feel terrified of what’s to come and if I’ll ever get off.

Really getting slammed here at .75mgs. I’m micro tapering and going slow so I’m not sure what is causing this. Is it possible that I have entered maybe the acute phase while at the end of my taper ?

Feeling really discouraged today. I was so close to being free from this. Now I feel terrified of what’s to come and if I’ll ever get off.

CMZ, this is a quote from Cant that really I knew but never heard it explained so well.  It's about slowin down, way down, if you are really symptomatic at lower dose.  I hope it helps.  Mary

"Cant quote on going slower

It wasnt realy intensity levels that made me slow right down at the last, though there sure were moments, It was my intent to cushion the point where my body was transitioning onto its own chemistry".     

Hello all, it's been a while since I posted anywhere here. Since my last visit I have switched from klonopin to valium for tapering purposes. Presently I am at .5mg once per day. My problem at this point is it seems to have no effect whatsoever and I'm having a lot of symptoms of withdrawal from depression to nausea and other gastro problems. By far the worst symptom is the nausea and little to no appetite.

I have a theory that I have reached tolerance on the .5mg once a day and it is basically keeping me in a constant state of withdrawal. Does this sound plausible to you guys? If so should I just jump off and get on with the healing instead of keeping the wound open? I could ask my doc if we could switch to something else but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Hello all, it's been a while since I posted anywhere here. Since my last visit I have switched from klonopin to valium for tapering purposes. Presently I am at .5mg once per day. My problem at this point is it seems to have no effect whatsoever and I'm having a lot of symptoms of withdrawal from depression to nausea and other gastro problems. By far the worst symptom is the nausea and little to no appetite.

I have a theory that I have reached tolerance on the .5mg once a day and it is basically keeping me in a constant state of withdrawal. Does this sound plausible to you guys? If so should I just jump off and get on with the healing instead of keeping the wound open? I could ask my doc if we could switch to something else but I don't know if it would be worth it.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I’m at .75 and feel exactly the same as you do. I’m so confused with what I should do. 

CMZ, this is a quote from Cant that really I knew but never heard it explained so well.  It's about slowin down, way down, if you are really symptomatic at lower dose.  I hope it helps.  Mary

It wasnt realy intensity levels that made me slow right down at the last, though there sure were moments, It was my intent to cushion the point where my body was transitioning onto its own chemistry".   

Thank you Mary. I’m really confused. I feel like this small dose is making me sicker. And keeping me in tolerance. Idk if I should jump or keep tapering. Or hold. It’s driving me insane. 

Thank you Mary. I’m really confused. I feel like this small dose is making me sicker. And keeping me in tolerance. Idk if I should jump or keep tapering. Or hold. It’s driving me insane.

How long have you been at .75 CMZ, imo , jumping when you are so symptomatic, is not a good idea.  Give your body some time, seeing you post over the months, I know that is a really hard choice for you.  But then, others might tell you something else.  And everyone is different, so what does your gut tell you?  At least , maybe try to get to .50.  If you could jump in better shape, maybe the next phase wouldn't be so hard.  It's a tough decision and I wish you  all the luck. , Mary 💚