Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

A very simple question today for the group.

Is there anyone here who was on clonazepam (Klonopin), who crossed/switched to Valium and had a horrible time tolerating it from the beginning, but stuck to Valium and who eventually recovered ?

I'm just thinking if I should force it. What I sort of expect: first few months: horrible daytime sedation, exhaustion/lack of energy, depression, little sleep, obviously at some point in time I'd be tapering and while my body would still be adjusting to the new drug (would take months at least), I'd be tapering and exposing my body to lots of changes. And tolerance to diazepam's sedating properties would develop after a while.

Sorry for the negativity. The situation is very difficult and I have to decide if I should force myself on diazepam. So hence my question ... has there been somebody ...

Is there anyone here who was on clonazepam (Klonopin), who crossed/switched to Valium and had a horrible time tolerating it from the beginning, but stuck to Valium and who eventually recovered ?

I'm just thinking if I should force it. What I sort of expect: first few months: horrible daytime sedation, exhaustion/lack of energy, depression, little sleep, obviously at some point in time I'd be tapering and while my body would still be adjusting to the new drug (would take months at least), I'd be tapering and exposing my body to lots of changes. And tolerance to diazepam's sedating properties would develop after a while.

Sorry for the negativity. The situation is very difficult and I have to decide if I should force myself on diazepam. So hence my question ... has there been somebody ...

I can't answer for your question concerning crossover from clonazepam, but I was polydrugged by antipsychotics and it was impossible to withdraw from it, I was unable to eat, to breath, blood diarrhea, amnesia and so on. Then I took diazepam in addition for five months, the symptoms became less dangerous and I managed to withdraw from antipsychotics, but once I was only on diazepam I had to updose very high a small dosage and was stuck for another three-four months before tapering diazepam. In some extense it was a kind of crossover.

liberty, about this:

I know I have mentioned to you before that jjrosk crossed from klonopin, had a difficult time, but eventually recovered completely. He jumped at the end of July. He is available via PM. Perhaps you could talk with him?

Liberty,

Klonopin and Lorazepan are short live benzos, are very effective and quick,  but It will leave your system quicker than Valium,

I think before cross over to Valium, you have to be a little stable in Klonopin and stress situations.  It took me 6 months to start cross over  to Valium, but once I was in the worst moment I decided to do it.  so far is the best thing I did.

Tex

liberty, about this:

I know I have mentioned to you before that jjrosk crossed from klonopin, had a difficult time, but eventually recovered completely. He jumped at the end of July. He is available via PM. Perhaps you could talk with him?

Katz,

How is your:  "Flyin' free now . . ."  ,  I'm glad you are zero benzo. 

i'm on way way, but slow,  no hurry.  feeling better this week than before. 

Hugs

Tex

Xavier, In your signature you use the term failed, what does that mean?  Cross

I wanted to be drug free so fast that I starded an unrealizable taper consisting in cutting one 0,33mg diazepam drop every 5 days, eventually I was unable to sleep, unable to digest anything in july 2014. Then I updosed tapering with wisddom. In november 2014 I met the same issues though I was tapering at a moderate rate. Then it became an even slower taper.

I know I had read this paragraph before but never remembered it.

Maybe this is why my mom is doing worse?

This should be a Sticky for all newbies.

"This logic further extends to the size of your cuts. The smaller the cuts you make, the less the shock to your system, and the less pronounced the withdrawal symptoms triggered by the cut. It is not recommended that any individual cut represent more than 10% of your total dose at a given time. Thus, it is preferable to make smaller and smaller cuts as you go, though this can be very difficult as you approach the end of your taper."

http://www.benzo.org.uk/FAQ1.1.htm#15

liberty, about this:

Thanks, but he was on 'only' 0.5 mg vs. 2 mg for me. I read some of his posts.

Switching at lower doses is different.

anyone here c/o to diazepam from clonazepam...tapered then gave up and jumped ship to go onto another benzo and then c/o a second time to diazepam?

I know it sounds crazy...that's because I am crazy from this drug

As you see in my sig this is what I did. Back in March I gave up and thought I could try a different benzo and live my life

it actually was working for awhile and then because I felt good I came off Zoloft in 4 weeks (15yrs on it)  since then I have been crashing BAD

Lorazepam is giving me (or its still w/d from Zoloft after 6months off) bad symptoms that I never had before

so I am wondering if I have kindled to badly to even think of going back to diazepam

so is there anyone on here who can relate?

Liberty I did indeed c/o to diazepam from clonazepam and was ok essentially...but when I got down to the last 4 mgs I was tired and beat up and wanted my life back so I gave up....going on to lorazepam has been a HUGE mistake..

so I did not "heal" or even complete my taper...so I am an epic FAIL all the way across the board now

I am trying to figure whether to go back to the diazepam or try to get off the Lorazepam  just hate dosing 4xs a day and actually NEEDING it

Liberty I did indeed c/o to diazepam from clonazepam and was ok essentially...but when I got down to the last 4 mgs I was tired and beat up and wanted my life back so I gave up....going on to lorazepam has been a HUGE mistake..

so I did not "heal" or even complete my taper...so I am an epic FAIL all the way across the board now

I am trying to figure whether to go back to the diazepam or try to get off the Lorazepam  just hate dosing 4xs a day and actually NEEDING it

Hi laineyk,

Wow, you a lot of post,  Lorazepan is the worst pill of the benzos, I hate it.  IMO  you should be stable on Lorazepan then follow the Asthon method to cross over diazepan and hold and don't look back.    Prozac helped me a lot.  now only 10 mg Prozac.

Good luck

Tex

lainey,

´anyone here c/o to diazepam from clonazepam...tapered then gave up and jumped ship to go onto another benzo and then c/o a second time to diazepam?´

Can you tell me in a few words why you ´gave up´ ? The ´tired and beat up´ ?

As you can see in my signature, I have been on lorazepam. I was doing fine at first, till I developed tolerance-dependence to the hypnotic, amnestic and sedative properties of the lorazepam.

The lorazepam actually felt like an improvement in the beginning. More sedative than diazepam (but not in a miserable way), almost a hypnotic.

I think that clonazepam is the worst drug of all, perhaps followed by lorazepam. Especially when taken more than once a day !

Back to diazepam or tapering the lorazepam. Tough call. I guess you must do what you think is best. Btw, I recognize the ´is it time to take the lorazepam yet´ feeling ...

I guess it technically doesn´t belong in this thread.

If only there was a neutral benzo with a long duration of action that does not accumulate excessively in fatty tissues like diazepam. That might be the holy grail !

For me, clonazepam used to last 24 hours. I still get the 24 hours, but it really starts to wear off after 17/18 hours.

Hi there! Apologies for interrupting the flow, but I've just posted my success story here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=144781.0

I used to hang around on this thread, and got lots and lots of help from folk on here. So a big hello to those who were around 6 months back and for the past few years. And to those I'm not acquainted with, I trust a little 'success' in getting off might be a boost to you!

-Bolders

Hi there! Apologies for interrupting the flow, but I've just posted my success story here:

I used to hang around on this thread, and got lots and lots of help from folk on here. So a big hello to those who were around 6 months back and for the past few years. And to those I'm not acquainted with, I trust a little 'success' in getting off might be a boost to you!

-Bolders

Hi Bolders,

Yes this is my tread home, I got a lot of support from here,  Many  left this tread,  many of them are Benzo free,  some went to another tread,  but always people came back to say hello and update their status.  Congratulations for your success story!! 

I'm glad that lately I'm  seeing more and more success stories.

take care

Tex

Liberty, I gave up because I was so tired of feeling like complete and total crap every single day. My daughter got married this past June so in March I felt like in order to function in preparing for the upcoming event I had to make a change

I too felt that in the beginning the lorazepam was more helpful. But since I came off the Zoloft it has been a nightmare. I walk in a state of total fog and woozy all day long

with diazepam I had windows almost EVERY night...no such thing with lorazepam

I just fear that the diazepam will not have that effect on me and I will be even farther behind the "8" ball so to speak.

I just know that sitting like this is going to make me lose my mind.

[5b...]

Liberty, I gave up because I was so tired of feeling like complete and total crap every single day. My daughter got married this past June so in March I felt like in order to function in preparing for the upcoming event I had to make a change

I too felt that in the beginning the lorazepam was more helpful. But since I came off the Zoloft it has been a nightmare. I walk in a state of total fog and woozy all day long

I just fear that the diazepam will not have that effect on me and I will be even farther behind the "8" ball so to speak.

I am a bit confused Lainey, have you considered crossing over to Diazepam?  I crossed over to Diazepam from Ativan and it was an overnight change in my moods and symptoms.  Ativan was a nightmare for me, and the Diazepam got much better once I started to liquid titrate with a drop every 3 days.

You should cross over to Valium.

mountain, if you look at my sig. I did a c/o from clonopin  back in 2014...tapered from 15mg to 4mg that's when I gave up...so stupid

Dr suggested I try lorazepam....so here I am 8 months later and on lorazepam and maybe a bit sicker then while on diazepam.

so that's where I am at...trying to figure if I should c/o AGAIN

Slow is the best way to go...I was doing the dry cut and hold .5mg every 2 weeks and it caught up with me and BIT ME where the sun don't shine.

won't make that mistake again

ok so here is my tentative c/o schedule. I would hold each change for 3 days per Peart schedule

6:00am                          11:00am                          4:00pm                        10:00pm

.25mg L                          .25mg L                            .25mg L                        .5mg L

.25mg L                          .25mg L                            .25mg L                        .25mg L / 1.5mg D (3 days)

.25mg L                          .25mg L                            .25mg L                          2.5mg D

then I would continue with each dose the same way until all diazepam, It would come to be 7.5mgsD

If I need to increase that I can

anyone want to chime in with comments?

[5b...]

ok so here is my tentative c/o schedule. I would hold each change for 3 days per Peart schedule

6:00am                          11:00am                          4:00pm                        10:00pm

.25mg L                          .25mg L                            .25mg L                        .5mg L

.25mg L                          .25mg L                            .25mg L                        .25mg L / 1.5mg D (3 days)

.25mg L                          .25mg L                            .25mg L                          2.5mg D

then I would continue with each dose the same way until all diazepam, It would come to be 7.5mgsD

If I need to increase that I can

anyone want to chime in with comments?

so you are following schedule 8 from the Ashton website of course taking into consideration the dosage you are currently doing but replacing Diazepam at the intervals?

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s8

She would start making half your dose Diazepam but I am unclear as to you how one titrates Ativan.  I am unfamiliar with liquid titrations of Ativan so I am unclear as to how you get to 1/2 of .25 of Ativan.  Hopefully someone who is familiar with that will chime in.

This chart is what I used and it worked beautifully(although I went to fast over the summer).  It was scary to go down to the once a day dose but it does balance out in your body. I thought I was unable to get through the work day without dosing all day but I was able to do it.  I know this will work out for you too. Before you know it, you will be in the low numbers too.  I would also consider vodka titration once you hit 4 mg of Valium

I cut my .5mg pill in 1/2 to get .25mg  then I cut that in 1/2 to get .125mgs

I am using Reg Pearts c/o and I am being conservative with the amount of diazepam..only because most all other equivalent charts do not agree with Ashtons.

Hi Lainey

I don't have anything worth while to add regarding a cross over back to valium, because I never had to do one. However I think when you were on valium you didn't want to consider a daily taper (sorry if I have you confused with someone else)? So if you do cross back over to valium I really hope this time you will consider it because I can almost guarantee it will make a huge difference to your taper.

-Bolders

Hi Bolders

I've just read your success story and I'm so happy for you. Go out and live your life now. You deserve it.