Is it possible

[Ks...]

Is it possible to taper slowly enough (like very, very, very slowly) that you experience little to no withdrawal symptoms?  Or is it inevitable that you will eventually reach a "withdrawal dose" no matter what?

I feel like utter shit and this is day one of a .0625 cut off 2mg Ativan.  I can only imagine what it'll be like if I ever get off this.  I have been on and off so many drugs that I think my body has had it.  I have lost over a year of my life thanks to psych drugs and symptoms.  I just can't imagine how it could get any worse but if this is day one I honestly feel like I am doomed.

Symptoms are 50lb. head, devoid of any emotion, basically a zombie.  I feel like I'm going to topple over any minute.  I am scared that withdrawal is going to make this negative state of mind a permanent one.  It already has become one somewhat.  I am scared that if I feel this awful with the drug, there is no way I will be able to get off of it.  My life is at less than zero.  If I go down any further I will be put back into a psych ward and then I will truly be screwed.

I cannot believe I'm essentially a drug addict.  And I can't believe that all I am offered for help is more drugs.  If this is the life I have to work with I don't want any part of it.  I really don't.  Sorry if this post is too dark.  All I have left is the person who does everything for me now that I am a psychological invalid.

I don't know the answer to your question, Ks1994, and I have real concerns about people developing tolerance withdrawal when they stay on benzos too long.  However, many have had success using the liquid titration method.  Very tiny reductions made every day or two seem to result in less intense symptoms.  I'm never going to have to taper off Ativan again but if I did, that's the method I would use.

As you've acknowledged, you are on or have come off a number of meds so it is hard to tell what is causing what.  I was in a similar position in 2008 when I found this forum.  I was only looking to get off Ativan, Ambien and Seroquel long enough to get shock therapy ( ECT) for depression deemed by doctors to be untreatable by meds and talk therapy.  I had been incorrectly diagnosed and treated for bipolar disorder and on every anti-depressant available.  In short, I was a suicidal mess.  I found out I was experiencing tolerance withdrawal and that benzos can cause depression and decided to grit my teeth and get off Ativan that I had been using as a crutch for about 18 years.  I took 6 months to get off 3 mg by splitting my pills and while it was very hard at times, I also had periods of feeling better than I had in years.  All this is just to say you won't always feel like crap as you taper down.  And again, do look into the titration method, okay?

Is it possible to taper slowly enough (like very, very, very slowly) that you experience little to no withdrawal symptoms? 

Resign yourself that tapering will not be easy, it may be the hardest thing you ever do. Going slowly may cushion the blow, but there is no easy out from under the grasp of these insidious drugs.

I feel like utter shit and this is day one of a .0625 cut off 2mg Ativan.  I can only imagine what it'll be like if I ever get off this.  

Actually, from what most people report, it is pure heaven to be finally off and healed from benzo addiction.

I just can't imagine how it could get any worse but if this is day one I honestly feel like I am doomed.

It may get worse before it gets better. But if you give up you are doomed. Gather the strength to taper and you will not be doomed; quite the contrary.

I am scared that withdrawal is going to make this negative state of mind a permanent one. 

Thats the drug talking son. Dont believe its lies. I too, easily fall prey to its deceitful lies. You must believe there is a way out; read the success stories. I presume they are all real.

My life is at less than zero.   I was there too. At this point in my taper, I am still suffering wd sxs, sometimes severe, but I would say I am no longer at "less than zero."

I cannot believe I'm essentially a drug addict.  And I can't believe that all I am offered for help is more drugs. 

You are not essentially a drug addict. You ARE a drug addict. We all ARE (were) here. Start believing that most Drs will only offer you more drugs for your problem. Unfortunately, this is how most are trained. You must begin to depend on yourself to climb out of this rabbit hole they put you (us) in.  This is where your journey to freedom begins! We can do this. :thumbsup: