Tinnitis

[sh...]

Hi:

Has anyone had rocketship tinnitis on benzos.  Mine is getting worse and it has been keeping me awake at night. Didn't sleep a wink last PM. Last night was my first totally sleepless night ever. I don't know what is going on. Is there anything one can take for tinnitis?

Kendall

Hello,

That has been one of my worst symptoms and thankfully it is going away as I start to get windows of peace ! Hang in there. You will heal too !

AMA 

Tinnitus has been one of most stubborn sxs during my taper. It gets worse, the gets better, then worse then better again. The lower you go in your taper can exacerbate it but it passes eventually. People who've had it during taper, report it gone for good after being off benzos for a little while. Si, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

In case you're wondering I still have it, some days it gets quite high, I'm sort of used to it now, then it goes down again.

An upper back rub calms it down for me. There is a formula containing mostly gingko biloba that has been around for a long time. If you want to try a supplement you can read about it at tinnitusformula.com

After 35 years of intrusive tinnitus, I can assure you there is no cure on the books, yet. What does happen, however, is you habituate to it and it recedes. Many people have it and live and cope just wonderfully. You get into trouble when you focus on it. Good luck and keep the faith that the tinnitus will not be an issue down the road.  8)

Ear ringing drove me nuts the whole time I was tapering, and I thought the ringing was the problem. For me it turns out the ringing is just a noise that I can more or less tune out (even when sitting in very quiet environments), and the problem was that all of the stress and anxiety of w/d was making me freak out about the ringing and interpret it as a threat/pain when in fact it's just a neutral sensation.

I also think that muscle tension increases my ringing, and I've certainly had all sorts of problems with that.

I'm almost 8 months off now; if the ringing went away at some point that would be great, but if it doesn't I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it still won't be a very big factor in my life.

There's heaps and heaps of white noise and all other colors of noise on youtube. Some last 8 hours to 24. It helps me a lot to ignore it. As if I focus on it....panic feeling ensues and it's all downhill from there.

When my ears go from head noise sizzling to static, then ramps up to high pitch ringing and I lose hearing? It always goes right back down, within about 20 seconds. I rarely am in complete quiet. Not these days. Can't stand that. Also any type of physical activity makes it become less noticeable for myself.