Author Topic: Tenacious Tinnitus Club Ė Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis  (Read 177431 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tenacious Tinnitus Club Ė Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis
« Reply #2320 on: July 08, 2020, 03:21:58 pm »
Hi [...],
Sorry, I have constant 24/7 hissing Tinnitus. It used to be different ringing sounds in each ear but now itís more hissing in my head and very soft ringing in my right ear which sounds like morse code. Iím sorry I canít be of help. Hang in there... Iím[...] the silence in this group means people are healing and we will get some success stories with Tinnitus soon.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2321 on: July 08, 2020, 05:18:53 pm »
I have it in one ear. Its gone [...]. Itd a high pitched ring. Somet8mes your ears feel blocked. Does anuone gwt pain in there ears. Im sorry, I hope it leaves soon for us.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2322 on: July 10, 2020, 05:15:57 pm »
[...]
Yes the ear pain comes with it, pricking pain and sometimes pressure in the ears. The fact that yours comes and goes is good. Here is some ppl on this site who have healed from Tinnitus.
Idm27 - 14 months
[...] - 2 years
Julie4530 - 10,5 months
SaveMe - 1 year
Retire2010 - 3 years
Cupcake - 2 years
Tabbycat - 18 months
Dexter - healed
Stotched -  9 months
[...] - 8 months
Natedogg77- 16 months
TigerLilly - 1,5 years
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:31:16 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #2323 on: July 10, 2020, 06:11:57 pm »
Hi [...],
Sorry, I have constant 24/7 hissing Tinnitus. It used to be different ringing sounds in each ear but now itís more hissing in my head and very soft ringing in my right ear which sounds like morse code. Iím sorry I canít be of help. Hang in there... Iím[...] the silence in this group means people are healing and we will get some success stories with Tinnitus soon.

Thanks, Trying. I have it 24/7 as well, but a high frequency sound in sync with my pulse. I distract as much as I can. Iím thinking of wearing ear buds all day with music playing.
At this stage Iím not sure how much of it is still related to benzo damage and how much is stress induced. Doesnít really matter I suppose.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2324 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:39 am »
I still have tinnitus , hissing kind.  Lately every other day it bothers ,  mostly in the afternoon or evening ,  spikes during activity or when I get tired .  Sleep is mostly ok , but waking up in hissing as well,  it reduces after waking up and may return later on the day or not .

[Buddie]

« Reply #2325 on: July 16, 2020, 03:03:34 pm »
Thanks for giving an update Erik,
Tinnitus is distressing on its own, to have to deal with it along with other symptoms is hard on all of us. So getting updates is very welcomed here. Itís so wrong that you took the meds for only 4 months and are still sick. Itís so wrong. From what Iíve read, I think your Tinnitus will go, especially because itís getting better and you have days when itís not bad anymore. Hang in there.
Mine has been transitioning from full solid ringing to Morse code ringing, and now a hissing in my ears and brain, with some Morse code still sometimes breaking through. I hope the Morse code goes away and Iím left with just the hissing as thatís less annoying. And hopefully that will go away too. It takes so long.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2326 on: August 04, 2020, 02:56:57 pm »
Hi guys - joining this club.

I was prescribed Lorazepam for insomnia resulting from tinnitus just over a year ago - I was taking around 2mg per day but Iím now at 0.75mg per day.

The Ativan wasnít a cure but it 100% took the loudness of the tinnitus down to where I could lead somewhat of a normal life - this isnít because I was relaxed the drug psychically made the tinnitus quieter - it almost happens instantly after each dose.

Iím at a point now where Iím quite low in dose and the tinnitus is back louder and more instructive than ever before - Iím also having bad anxiety because of this and just genuinely feel all over the place, insomnia, static vision, real bad light sensitivity etc - lots of weird symptoms.

The other day my tinnitus was unbearable and I couldnít stand it - I made a decision to take 2mg Ativan and the tinnitus completely reduced in volume, it was like instant relief. [...] annoyed I did this as Iíve worked so hard with tapering but whatever whatís done is done.

I would be able to kick this drug easily if it wasnít for tinnitus - how am I supposed to get off something that is actually helping something? But is killing my body/brain in the long term? As I do want off the Benzos but I canít see a way out with the tinnitus being maddening.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Iíve tried everything to just learn to live with the tinnitus but itís SO loud, my brain just cannot habituate to that level of torture! I also have Hyperacusis, again Ativan helps with that.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Did you get off the Benzos? Was your tinnitus hell again? But did you get used to it? Iíve read that tinnitus is the last thing to go in Benzo withdrawal, but as I had tinnitus prior the starting the Benzo, Iím not sure this is withdrawal if you see what I mean? This is complex. Is this new loudness my new normal or will it settle down?

[Buddie]

« Reply #2327 on: August 05, 2020, 12:18:52 am »
Hi [...], I was in a similar situation to you, I got SEVERE tinnitus and hyperacusis in one ear following a sudden hearing loss. That's what got me on benzos to begin with, I could not sleep or function without them. [...] I don't have hyperacusis anymore, I started working with an audiologist to treat it (mainly by listening to white noise for 4-6 hours a day at a comfortable level so my ears would adjust to sound stimulation). I was still on benzos when I started treatment and noticed improvement after a month. I think after a year I was [...] much back to normal hyperacusiswise. I don't think I had started tapering yet though. Sounds would irritate some days while I was tapering but it was more of an emotional reaction than a physical one.

The tinnitus I still have. Some days the ringing is very soft, more of a wind noise, and I can barely notice it while other days it can spike up. The spike days don't happen very much anymore, they are spacing out further apart. Most of the time I can hear it but it isnít very loud. I take melatonin and play music and a fan at night and I can fall asleep. I'm not on any meds now and my tinnitus is way better than it was before or during benzos. I had rough days while I was still tapering, the volume would go up and down.

My main problem now is a second kind of tinnitus that sounds like electrical zaps in a Morse code pattern. My ear dr says that sound is caused by muscle spasms inside the ear which can be triggered by stress or lack of sleep. He said they [...] surgery to cut the muscles and that would fix it, but of course that makes me nervous. I'm just waiting it out and trying to avoid stress for now. I haven't seen anyone else on here with that specific problem so don't assume you'll get it.
Theres also a success story of another buddie who started benzos for tinnitus but is fine now:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=57868.0

Edited to add: I was on a fast acting benzo, Xanax, similar to Ativan, but couldnít taper directly since my symptoms were so bad. I crossed over to Valium and tapered from there. It wasn't easy, but it was so much better than continuing to taper Xanax. So that's an option if you can't get any lower on Ativan.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2328 on: August 05, 2020, 05:43:25 pm »
Hi [...],

So happy to hear youíre off the Benzos and coping with the remaining tinnitus. Itís the hardest thing ever coming off this stuff especially when it helps the tinnitus (albeit fleetingly) - was your tinnitus super loud and was it multi-tonal/various pitches? Your post gives me hope that Iíll be able to live with some residual lower tone tinnitus, but the volume itís at now is INSANE!

Good to be connected with you!

[Buddie]

« Reply #2329 on: August 06, 2020, 02:17:06 am »
It was super loud, the first day it literally sounded like I was pressing my ear against a car horn. It lessened a little soon after but was still extremely loud. I had lots of different sounds, from a soft whir, to a wind noise, to multiple sounds like someone running a wand over a xylophone, to a single loud tone.  Klonopin and later Xanax lowered the volume just enough and made me drowsy enough to sleep.