Help with Tail End of Klonopin Taper

[Ad...]

I have been doing a slow (perhaps too slow) taper off Klonopin since 2007. I've had a pretty erratic tapering schedule, with cuts every two weeks to holding two months one time. My physical and mental symptoms are so bad now that I don't have any windows of good and I'm rapidly deteriorating.

I'm currently at 0.25 mg. My last taper was two weeks ago. I want to taper 0.05 mg every two weeks until I'm done. Should I taper even when I don't feel stable? It's difficult because I don't really stabilize, yet I don't want to make myself worse. At this point, I feel like staying on the drug is the worst thing I could do for my mind and body.

Any advice on what I should do in regards to dosages and schedules would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Adie,

Do you feel better after a few weeks of your last cut, or do you feel better within a few days of a cut? Or is it that you never feel better?

Hi Adie,

The reason I asked about this is because you are suffering even though you are on a small dose and are tapering slowly. For a small number of people, benzos can illicit effects opposite to those intended - these are termed Paradoxical Effects. In such circumstances, we will usually experience some relief when we cut our dose, but symptoms usually arise again after some time. The best solution is to taper off as fast as you can sensibly manage, but still at a sensible taper rate. The good news is that you are on a low dose, so you should be off soon anyway. I suggest that you might try speeding up your taper and see what happens. When at a very low dose, there are limited consequences of ptentially tapering too quickly, so I think there is a lot to be said for 'going for it' and see how it goes. Of course, if you feel worse, you should slow down again, but the fact that you felt better shortly after your previous cuts is highly suggestive that you should continue to make new cuts sooner rather than later.

Good luck, and keep us up to speed with your progress.

I've read about Paradoxical Effects before and wondered if that might be what's going on with me.

Since I've been going two weeks between cuts, would going one week be too quick? Or would something like 10 days be more sensible?

I really appreciate your help, Colin.

You are on a mall dose, and cuts you propose are small - it is hard for me to to think of 0.05mg cuts to Klonopin as anything but small at 7-10 days apart. The thing to do is to try it once and see what happens. If you are suffering paradoxical effects, you will feel better for getting off sooner rather than later.

I'm going to try cutting at a week and see how I do. If it doesn't go well, I'll hold until 10 days.

Thank you so much. I'm so happy about being so close to the end.

• 4 weeks later...

Colin, I want to say thank you. You helped me so much throughout my withdrawal. I'm happy to report today was my first day without Klonopin.  ;D

I said it before and I mean it - it would have been impossible without this site and all the wonderful support. Thank you.