Does anyone else run daily?

[...]

I hope I'll get some replies to this.

For me this is not just "chewing the fat", because exercise both before my cold turkey quitting of Klonopin and for all the months since then has been the center of healing.

I've just had two incredibly stressful days, and I truly do not want to walk one step, much less run. But I've worked up to this over many months time, and I'm going to try to push through it tonight.

I have hardly missed on day (night) in months other than when my joints were pretty much attacked during a really hard period last summer when my toes, knees, ankles and left hip all started hurting so badly that for awhile I had to slow down to a slower, painful walk.

I just can't be the only person in BB who runs, and who depends on running.

You posted on a Saturday, after Thanksgiving - even the runners are still sleeping off stuffing.  Give it time and you will get posts.  (Sorry to post here and get you excited when I am a non-runner!!!)

I'm not a runner, but I walk for an hour every morning. I usually walk 4-5 days then take one day off.  I've got Type 2 diabetes and my feet get sore after several days of walking. Taking a day off allows them to heal.

I used to run 10Ks when I was younger. Here in the desert Southwest we have "washes" (arroyos, or dry rivers that only flow when it rains) and they are very sandy. I'd run in the washes because it was a much more intense workout than running on pavement or hard-packed soil.

What's your question or issue about running?

Gaer-

You're not the only one... I've been a runner for years, but have run nearly every day (averaging about 25 days/month) for the last year, through my usage of Klonopin and after withdrawing. Running has always been a great way to ease stress and anxiety, and maybe I'm just hoping that it will bring some relief. I know you can't force your recovery, but it just seems like eating well and exercising would help with the healing.

I find that I'm so reliant on it that if I can't run for some reason (weather, other plans), I get anxious... just what I need, right?  :)

I'm looking forward to the day when I can have tons of energy and go for a run just for fun again, not just to ease anxiety or help with healing.

Lost

Hey Gaer,

I dont run everyday but I do swim 4-5 days a week . It has helped tremendously with my recovery. Specifically,  it helps relieve w/d induced anxiety and depression. However, the last few days I have been in a horrific wave due to a recent cut and havent been able to swim. The lack of exercise exacerbates my symptoms.....but im in a really bad wave so I cant exercise. .... a real catch 22.

I swear to god you can't make this bizarre shit up

Gaer-

You're not the only one... I've been a runner for years, but have run nearly every day (averaging about 25 days/month) for the last year, through my usage of Klonopin and after withdrawing. Running has always been a great way to ease stress and anxiety, and maybe I'm just hoping that it will bring some relief. I know you can't force your recovery, but it just seems like eating well and exercising would help with the healing.

I find that I'm so reliant on it that if I can't run for some reason (weather, other plans), I get anxious... just what I need, right?  :)

I'm looking forward to the day when I can have tons of energy and go for a run just for fun again, not just to ease anxiety or help with healing.

Lost

Lost, I've been talking about walking since I got here, last April. I started only walking, but the anxiety of withdrawal got me amped up so much that I wanted to move faster, and I sort of maxed out with the walking, so I started running only small stretches. Over time I moved more and more into jogging, and for maybe the last month or so I've moved it up to only running for at least 3 miles.

I have become totally addicted to the release, and I need it now. Last week we had a horribly rainy night, so I could not get out at all. I was miserable and did not feel normal until after running the next night.

I was never a runner, although I did run a few times a week, long ago, but I used to swim 2000 yds each day, so the need to move is something I have had most of my life.

Benzos killed that need. Now it is back...

Hey Gaer,

I dont run everyday but I do swim 4-5 days a week . It has helped tremendously with my recovery. Specifically,  it helps relieve w/d induced anxiety and depression. However, the last few days I have been in a horrific wave due to a recent cut and havent been able to swim. The lack of exercise exacerbates my symptoms.....but im in a really bad wave so I cant exercise. .... a real catch 22.

I swear to god you can't make this bizarre shit up

First of all, swimming does the same thing for me, but I do not have access to a pool large enough to swim laps, so I moved to walking and then running because it is right there - I just need to walk out the door to do it.

I can't BELIEVE someone tapered you down from 8 mg. K to nothing in such a short time. If you do more reading you'll find out that the number one cause of major problems comes when people are forced into a cold turkey, which is exactly what you went through.

I did the same thing to myself, but I was only on mg. of K!

Gary

You posted on a Saturday, after Thanksgiving - even the runners are still sleeping off stuffing.  Give it time and you will get posts.  (Sorry to post here and get you excited when I am a non-runner!!!)

Patience is not my biggest character strength. ;)

I'm not a runner, but I walk for an hour every morning. I usually walk 4-5 days then take one day off.  I've got Type 2 diabetes and my feet get sore after several days of walking. Taking a day off allows them to heal.

I used to run 10Ks when I was younger. Here in the desert Southwest we have "washes" (arroyos, or dry rivers that only flow when it rains) and they are very sandy. I'd run in the washes because it was a much more intense workout than running on pavement or hard-packed soil.

What's your question or issue about running?

Tex, I don't think I had any major questions. I was just looking for support from other people who also need exercise of the walking/running kind and who find they really need the release from the exercise.

Daily running, walking, swimming, anything aerobic would fit what I was looking for.

It seems to me that things like lifting weights are different because the emphasis there is not on the same thing.

Maybe I am looking for a place where people will kick my butt a little if I get lazy!

I would run 2.5-3.5 miles 5 days a week right up until I quit c/t.

I need to run to feel good. My breathing and muscle tightness issues still do not allow for it 8.5 months later. Some days I can barely manage a 1 mile walk due to intense leg muscle pain and tightness.

The release of exercise feels sooo good.  I couldn't work out for a long time, because my heart rate would spike up really high and I'd get so dizzy I could hardly stand (let alone walk/run).  That had a big negative impact on my mood.  Now I can do a bit again, and can't wait to be able to do more.  The ideal workout for me is 45-60 min of cardio (enough to sweat lots) + 30 minute of weight-training.  Weights help with muscle tightness and joint pain.  Great job on staying consistent with the running, gaer!

It's all about distractions.      I went off 15 months + ago I was told that aerobic exercise 5 hrs before bed would help a person sleep and it's a great distraction.  I don't think I've missed more than a few days, even after 3  surgeries.(I'm also a workaholic overachiever) My insomnia was so bad. I'm not even sure if it worked or works but it's a great distraction.  I ride my recumbent bike apx 45 min  7 days a week. I started Tai Chi  about 10 months ago. I am going to class Mon through Friday 1 1/2 hours a day, great distraction.

I have got to add - I never feel well enough to exercise. I always force myself and l'm always glad I did.

I must also tell you I have lupus and fybro and more and I haven't felt good or pain free in apx 13 + years so I have learned how important exercise is. It's the only thing that has helped with my sx, BUT I NEVER WANT TO GET STARTED. 

It's all about distractions.      I went off 15 months + ago I was told that aerobic exercise 5 hrs before bed would help a person sleep and it's a great distraction.  I don't think I've missed more than a few days, even after 3  surgeries.(I'm also a workaholic overachiever) My insomnia was so bad. I'm not even sure if it worked or works but it's a great distraction.  I ride my recumbent bike apx 45 min  7 days a week. I started Tai Chi  about 10 months ago. I am going to class Mon through Friday 1 1/2 hours a day, great distraction.

I have got to add - I never feel well enough to exercise. I always force myself and l'm always glad I did.

I must also tell you I have lupus and fybro and more and I haven't felt good or pain free in apx 13 + years so I have learned how important exercise is. It's the only thing that has helped with my sx, BUT I NEVER WANT TO GET STARTED.

I've never enjoyed running, and I still don't. I used to love swimming long distance. I don't think I have ever been a natural runner. It never feels effortless, never felt effortless. I don't get any feeling of a "runner's high" while running, and I am always glad it is over.

The only time it felt was when my anxiety was so high during withdrawal that I actually felt like I was running away from "the benzo monster". At that time I could feel that as I pushed, some of the fear/terror would let up.

I wanted to know which other people here are continuing with the hard exercise or whatever they can do because lately I have just wanted to quit. It has been REALLY hard to make myself go out each night, and the only reason I have not yet thrown in the towel is that when I don't do it, I feel like crap later.

The release of exercise feels sooo good.  I couldn't work out for a long time, because my heart rate would spike up really high and I'd get so dizzy I could hardly stand (let alone walk/run).  That had a big negative impact on my mood.  Now I can do a bit again, and can't wait to be able to do more.  The ideal workout for me is 45-60 min of cardio (enough to sweat lots) + 30 minute of weight-training.  Weights help with muscle tightness and joint pain.  Great job on staying consistent with the running, gaer!

I was never unable to move, and I don't know why. I had horrible spikes, but I never got too busy to stand. When I had the BP spikes I think I got so pissed that I went out thinking that if I died, it would just be over, and if I could keep moving, maybe the worst of the terror would lift. No matter how crappy I felt, I was always able to at least walk the 3 miles, with my little android device playing a book.

For the last week or so I have been feeling very heavy, and sluggish, and I want to slow down. My legs have felt like they weigh 300 pounds, and it has been pure willpower to continue. But I still feel way better when I finish.

gaer, I walk/jog also for the release of anxiety..The pay off is feeling soooo much better having done it. It sets my day a lot better. Like getting the cob webs out of my brain and body. At the beginning of withdraw had to REALLY push myself. One time I was so fatigued in the middle and wanted to lay down on someones lawn, but somehow made it home. I push myself through a lot of days…..Happy trails!!!!  :smitten:  Jude

gaer, I walk/jog also for the release of anxiety..The pay off is feeling soooo much better having done it. It sets my day a lot better. Like getting the cob webs out of my brain and body.

That is exactly what I have tried to say! Then there are nights - and last night was one of them - when I try to wipe the rest of the day out of my mind.

Yesterday was just a fluster cluck! By the time it was time to run, I didn't want to run. I didn't want to do anything except break stuff, or scream, or maybe fight with people, but it was too late to fight with anyone, because everyone was asleep.

So I made myself run, and with every step I was sort of chanting: "Take THAT, stupid planet, take THAT world!" and I ended up moving faster because I was so hostile.

And after I came in, I actually enjoyed the rest of the night and didn't even want to go to bed, which I'm paying for a bit to day. :)

At the beginning of withdraw had to REALLY push myself. One time I was so fatigued in the middle and wanted to lay down on someones lawn, but somehow made it home. I push myself through a lot of days…..Happy trails!!!!  :smitten:  Jude

At the beginning I was so amped up that my body was screaming for release that I actually did too much and maybe injured myself. At one point I could not walk from one room to the other without really wincing, and I had to totally stop. And that may have been withdrawal, screwing up my joints and muscles. For about 2 months EVERYTHING hurt, so just when I was trying to run more, I could barely limp around. And I remember I ALSO sat down one night, because my shoelace came untied, and I was so dizzy that I could not tie it standing up. So I sat down on wet grass, and like you I didn't want to get back up.

The hardest thing for me now is that my sister-in-law is a marathoner, so she can run forever and averages some ridiculously low time per mile that makes me feel like I'm on a walker. So last night when I made my 3 miles in under 30 minutes, even though I felt like Superman, I know that any real runner would think that I hardly move, but I try to measure myself the average person my age, who mostly thinks exercise is walking to the bathroom and back with a walker. ;)

I actually find that running in the morning helps wash away some of the morning anxiety, and after my body settles down post-run, I usually get a couple of hours where I can somewhat sit and relax and do some work on the computer. I hit some crazy fatigue at the 4-month mark about 3 weeks ago that turned my decent 3 and 4-mile runs into 2 to 3-mile run/walks, but that seems to be improving just a bit.

Jude, when did your fatigue lift (or at least begin to improve)?

Lost

gaer,

I have never been a runner but I was an athelete in high school and college (baseball). I played softball through the hell of this wd but when I was in the heat of it I left my house one day and started walking because I did not know what else to do. From there I started running and walking when I went out and eventually was running a few miles every day. Out of nowhere it all crashed. The help that it was giving me seemed to turn on me and now my asthma has kicked in to full gear and I get very fatigued with little tasks although I am still working. Running seemed to put me right into a wave. Really weird! I actually fell in love with running the first time in my life while feeling my worst. Hope I can take it up again soon. Feel better buds!

fg

I definitely share everyone's frustration when it comes to intense cardio. Before benzos I use to be so active and was able to play sports for hours on end. I was even lifting 3-4 times a week without a problem. I've barely started lifting again about a month ago but sometimes my tendons won't permit it. 4 months ago I started walking around the block and at the mall which helped a lot. Then I slowly worked my way up to power walking on the treadmill. Now I'm able to run on the treadmill for 15 minutes only to stop because of nauseousness. I now push myself to do a few sets of weights and 20 minutes of intense cardio a day. It's getting better but it's just taking so long. Month by month it feels like I'm able to do more and more.

I definitely share everyone's frustration when it comes to intense cardio. Before benzos I use to be so active and was able to play sports for hours on end. I was even lifting 3-4 times a week without a problem. I've barely started lifting again about a month ago but sometimes my tendons won't permit it. 4 months ago I started walking around the block and at the mall which helped a lot. Then I slowly worked my way up to power walking on the treadmill. Now I'm able to run on the treadmill for 15 minutes only to stop because of nauseousness. I now push myself to do a few sets of weights and 20 minutes of intense cardio a day. It's getting better but it's just taking so long. Month by month it feels like I'm able to do more and more.

Also, things change from day to day. But I have to blame most of my not running or doing other harder stuff from being ON the benzos, not off. Over the years I just lost touch with it, and I think it was because I always felt so dull.

I didn't start out running though. I slipped into it. I was so amped up that I was just desperate for something to stop the nerves.

Three nights ago I was very tired, so I walked part of the distance, which I have not done for a long time, then two nights ago I was really dead from going to Book of Mormon with my wife. That was really heavy stress, even though it was fun, and I was exhausted when we got home. I did not even wake up until 2 AM, so I skipped running.

But I felt pretty awful.

Last night I did not feel like doing anything, but I was pissed at myself for tanking the day before, so I really pushed. It seems like the harder I push, within reason, the better I feel afterwards, and I sleep WAY better.

Gaer,

I push myself out of frustration sometimes too. It's like I tell myself I use to be able to do this before so I push hard. But then I crash so hard later that I don't feel like working out the next day. It's like when you people get older and they tell themselves they can still do it like when they were younger. It's the same analogy for me except sometimes it tends to bring out the anger out of me. Hopefully one day we can do the things we use to do before benzos ruined our lives.

Gaer,

I push myself out of frustration sometimes too. It's like I tell myself I use to be able to do this before so I push hard. But then I crash so hard later that I don't feel like working out the next day. It's like when you people get older and they tell themselves they can still do it like when they were younger. It's the same analogy for me except sometimes it tends to bring out the anger out of me. Hopefully one day we can do the things we use to do before benzos ruined our lives.

I have had nightly spikes in energy from the first day I jumped. They peak after midnight. I don't have the feeling of HAVING to exercise now. Earlier I did. I just HAD to go out and at least walk. It made me crazy to just sit here, and I could not sleep.

It's different now. I feel like I have a choice. If I can't, I can still feel OK. I can still sleep. But I just don't feel as well.

It is always struggle at first to run. I have said again and again that I am not a natural runner. Usually I want to slack off, or not even run, just slow down into a lazy walk. But the harder I push myself, the better I feel when I am done.

I have been doing this for many months, so it is not new to my body. I know how I will feel afterward, and what I will feel a few hours later, and the next day. I just feel better in all ways, and that is what pushes me to keep it up!

I'm a crap runner but I'm doing it more-or-less daily first thing in the morning before the rest of my family is up.

I run or run/walk because it clears my mind, reduces anxiety that builds up in my sleep and wakes me every morning, because getting my heart rate up moves my blood around and stimulates the happy endorfins. It also puts me outside breathing in fresh air, listening to the birds and making use of my senses. All good.

I have to push myself most times, and the enjoyment is mainly afterwards for me and my wife and kids when I greet them less obsessed with how crap I might be feeling that day, possibly even with a bit of cheer about me.

However it's done, keeping active has always been helpful for depression, anxiety and these days for withdrawals.