autonomic dysfunction

[bl...]

hi again. 

I am wondering if there is any known connection between benzo withdrawal and autonomic nerve dysfunction.  especially in alcoholics with co-addictions.  does anyone know the answer to this?  thanks!

Well, I"m no expert, but there are many autonomic nervous system symptoms that flare up during benzo withdrawal (wd). This is what causes heart palpitations, light headedness when standing too quickly, shortness of breath, etc.

The sympathetic nervous system(the fight-or-flight portion of the autonomic nervous system) kicks in during wd as your GABA receptors are being deprived of benzo. This is also what can contribute to insomnia, anxiety, tremors, etc.

So, in a word, yes there is a connection. 

Hi, I'm new here but this is what I know. I have had everything from adrenal malfunction to liver malfunction, and semi paralysed diaphragm muscles, which feel like someone knocked the wind out of me. The breathing is so bad I can barely speak. I also have low low temp and high temp and low high blood pressure. (postistional type). I used wikipedia to learn everything I could on all of the brain systems that are affected by benzos. It really helped me, especially about neurogenisis, (which is the good news). Good luck, you will find it fascinating.

Cheers, Wonder Woman

hi again. 

I am wondering if there is any known connection between benzo withdrawal and autonomic nerve dysfunction.  especially in alcoholics with co-addictions.  does anyone know the answer to this?  thanks!

Hi Blick,

As a recovering alcoholic who is tapering off valium, I can tell you YES!  Alcoholics can experience autonomic nervous system dysfunction for some time after they quit.  Since alcohol and benzos are cross addictive drugs, benzos can cause the same symptoms.  I experience low/high body temperature.  I get up in the morning full of anxiety and my body temp is around 97.  Then later in the day, it's 99.6, then back down later in the evening.  Every part of the nervous system is affected by benzos or alcohol.  Only time will heal our poor brains from what either of these drugs do to them.

Wishing you quick healing!

Missy