what mechanism is responsible for me not being able to hydrate?

[On...]

Hi onedayatatime,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, can you provide more detail? I definitely experienced some bizarre thirst and frequent urination as a result of cortisol/etc issues in w/d, but I've never read anything that makes me think that's dangerous.

Well I'm very weak with elevated hr when I stand, constipated with very dry crp, and in the morning my urine is so yellow its scary and Idont urinate often. And when I do its very small ammounts and the yellow sinks to the bottom 

I've been unable to get very well hydrated in months and its getting worse

For me, magnesium helps a lot with constipation; it's more or less impossible to get constipated if you take enough of it, so that may be worth a shot. Try breaking the dose up and taking it 3-4x a day to have a more constant state in your belly.

I've noticed some of the same things you have, but they have gotten a lot better since I've been all the way off benzos. Very yellow urine first thing in the morning is, overall, normal, and doesn't mean much. If you wake up during the night, you can have some extra water to mitigate that, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

It sounds like you've got water moving through you faster than you'd like; that does sound like it could be a cortisol thing and therefore probably w/d related, but I don't think there's much you can do about it other than keep yourself hydrated.

Have you done the skin test on the back of your hand? Use one hand to pinch up skin between your fingers and then release it. If you are hydrated, the skin should go back to about normal within a few seconds. If not, if it stays ridged and doesn't go back to normal, then you could be dehydrated.

I've had real hydration problems, too. At least that was my perception. I drink a lot of water and still ave a very dry feeling mouth. But when a doctor looks, he says Im fine. My electrolytes are all fine when they test them.

I also had pretty major constipation. By major, I mean I went the entire month of September this year without an unaided bowel movement.  I started adding two teaspoons of ground flax seed to a tablespoon of olive oil and putting that on salad or vegetables. This really has helped immensely with the constipation. Within just a couple of days I was regular again.

Two things I also changed were -

I started drinking spring water instead of reverse osmosis. The general rule of thumb on water consumption is a minimum of half an ounce per pound of body weight. So if you weigh 160, you should drink at least 80 oz of water per day. At minimum.

I started eating more carbs, as in more vegetables fruit.

This is a miserable condition and I'm sorry you are going through it. I'm still feeling very dry but at least things are moving better.

Flip

I've felt dehydrated quite often through my taper, and I know what you mean: it's like no amount of water will satisfy me.

I'm wondering if this is yet another sensory misperception? That would make sense to me. I've heard/smelled/felt things that weren't true, been covered in sweat when it wasn't hot, etc., so it wouldn't surprise me if this was just another way the brain misfires and sends the wrong message.

That said, hydration is important, of course, so maybe doing the test Fliprain suggests would put your mind at ease?

I'm really sorry you're having such a hard time, OneDayataTime3.  :(

Open your mouth, drink one 16.9 ounce bottle of water.

Do this 4-5 times a day and you will be perfectly well hydrated.

Tex, I'm sure you don't want to come across as a mean-spirited passive-aggressive who's so threatened by human vulnerability that its very presence makes you feel frightened, small, and weak, compelling you to obsessively follow OneDay around the forum, leaving sad, transparent remarks that ultimately embarrass no one but you--am I right?

Back off. You can do it if you use all your might. I know you can!  :thumbsup:

Both good suggestions from Flip and NKN.

I tried what you said Flip, but I cant even pull any skin there. I can on the knuckles and they go back after a few seconds.

Btw, thank you NKN :)

Sodium helps with water retention and with relaxation too. I always have to increase sodium consumption at higher altitudes, in dryer climates, and in colder weather. Otherwise even huge volumes of water go right through me without hydrating me.

I became a serious believer when my Physical Therapist had me drink a cup of very salty water before sessions. He says dehydrated muscles are tight and not responsive to therapy. The sodium hydrates AND relaxes.

For me, magnesium helps a lot with constipation; it's more or less impossible to get constipated if you take enough of it, so that may be worth a shot. Try breaking the dose up and taking it 3-4x a day to have a more constant state in your belly.

I've noticed some of the same things you have, but they have gotten a lot better since I've been all the way off benzos. Very yellow urine first thing in the morning is, overall, normal, and doesn't mean much. If you wake up during the night, you can have some extra water to mitigate that, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.

It sounds like you've got water moving through you faster than you'd like; that does sound like it could be a cortisol thing and therefore probably w/d related, but I don't think there's much you can do about it other than keep yourself hydrated.

okay, I have chelated magnesium drs best that you can take 3-4 times a day and an all natural one you take only once. I've been taking the all natural one, but I think ill switch to the other so Ican take all day long.

Thanks Spengler

Oh btw my urine before benzos had never been so yellow. Even in the mornings it was pretty clear. Do you mean for benzo wd?

Hi Onelove, long time no see, Sadly I've seen better days

Wow, thanks for the info, I didn't know sodium helped absrption, I was actually worried it would dehydrate me. I will try it. So just sea salt?

Hi Oneday,

Are you still reducing or are you holding?  Just wondering.

I'm sorry you are going through all of this. :smitten:

Hi mylilcappi :)

I'm still reducing, but it gets harder and harder. I'm just waiting for some healing

It sounds like you're having some water retention. This is weak kidney function. Dehydration is the body fluids (lymph) becoming stagnant.

I've been dehydrated myself. What I did is to ditch heavy protein foods, starches and dairy for a while. I stick to a mostly fruits and vegs diet, it helps with these kind of issues.

OneDay You need to get the Beta Blocker Propanolol ASAP... will help u with your process a ton, look in to it

You really think so? ill look into it but I'm afraid of modern medicine in general. Everything I've ever taken was a mistake and only gave me health problems. From my experience I take one med makes m sick so I have to take another med to cover up the problem and so on.

I'm not trying to be rude. Maybe propanolol would help, but I do know my bp is mostly in the low range with scary  spikes here and there.

You really think so? ill look into it but I'm afraid of modern medicine in general. Everything I've ever taken was a mistake and only gave me health problems. From my experience I take one med makes m sick so I have to take another med to cover up the problem and so on.

I'm not trying to be rude. Maybe propanolol would help, but I do know my bp is mostly in the low range with scary  spikes here and there.

Hey Oneday, I agree with you there, look into what I wrote, maybe that will help.

It sounds like you're having some water retention. This is weak kidney function. Dehydration is the body fluids (lymph) becoming stagnant.

I've been dehydrated myself. What I did is to ditch heavy protein foods, starches and dairy for a while. I stick to a mostly fruits and vegs diet, it helps with these kind of issues.

Good idea. I actually had my brother pick up veggies and fruit and some other things today. Already ahead of ya  ;) well not for that reason but it works out

OneDay You need to get the Beta Blocker Propanolol ASAP...
\

rsx2009, I realize you're new here, but it's against forum rules to tell people what meds to take. You can make recommendations and talk about how such-and-such has helped you, but telling someone they "need to get" something ASAP is kind of against the rules...

I know your intentions were good, it's just that there are guidelines...

OneDay You need to get the Beta Blocker Propanolol ASAP... will help u with your process a ton, look in to it

Hello rsx2009.  I highlighted the bolded statement above to let you know that this is what is considered a prescriptive post.  Being prescriptive like this and telling a person exactly what to do is against our rules.  We are not qualified to give direct medical advice. 

Here is our rule:

•Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do, are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments for other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our [Guidelines regarding the giving of medical advice document located on this link.]

Here is an example of a non-prescriptive way to get your point across:

If I were in your shoes, I would speak with my doctor about a beta blocker like propanol.  I believe this might help you.

Thank you.

Juliea

BB Team

oneday,

are you taking any other meds like benadryl, vistaril or any other antihistimines? i've been taking some benadryl almost every day and i know that's why i wake up so parched. the only water that does hydrate me at least for a little while is the "real water"...

do you know the one i'm talking about? it comes in a blue bottle. i don't normally like water that comes in plastic bottle but this one really hydrates. i think it also heps with electrolytes. i also drink distilled water. the real water is also very alkaline. here is a link to it:

http://drinkrealwater.com/about/

No, I don't take benadryl or hydroxyzine anymore I started to have a bad reaction to them.  They give me terrible anxiety and scrambled my brain and that was months ago when I felt significantly better. Who knows what it would do to me now

Thanks for the link, ill check it out