Need help gaining weight before taper

[So...]

Any ideas on how I can gain at least 10-15 lbs in a month? So, I can start my tapering?

My Dr wants me gluten free, so that has killed everything I was eating to put weight on. I was eating PB&J on toast, and Cheerios. What is it with gluten??? I thought that taking Omega 3 would help the inflammation, since I don't think that I have a sensitivity to it. And, my sed rate was perfect. No inflammation in my body. And, my heart feels better when I eat Cheerios. Is a little gluten okay?

I think that I will cut out the bread, but keep with my Cheerios?

I do have a hard time with too much dairy and eggs. (Can't eat eggs without toast)  :)

The meat and veggies are not putting any weight on me. I don't have a smoothie maker, and no energy to make them. And, not much energy for cooking.

Any ideas on gluten free cereals? I can't even find gluten free bread in my small town.  :(

I have been eating peanut butter by the spoonful. And, drinking boost shakes, but still keep losing weight. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Some potato chips. A little bite of ice cream every day. I also eat a baked potato every day. And, half of an avocado. Plus meat and veggies. Not a fan of sweet potatoes. I eat lots of real butter on everything.

I can't have anything soy, because of my thyroid.

This just sucks!! And, is so frustrating. Being scared of what to eat is what got me put back on the danged benzo's.

Please help!!

Denise  :smitten:

Why does your doc want you on gluten-free? Have you been diagnosed with Celiac disease? If not, there's no real reason to go gluten-free. I think it's kind of today's "fad" disease. I know people who DO have Celiac disease and get sick if they eat food that's not gluten-free. But if you haven't been diagnosed as having Celiac, I don't get where your doc is coming from...

Eat a Southern diet. Chicken fried steak and sausage gravy. Biscuits and sausage gravy. Fried chicken. Mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Fried eggs and grits.

Or a Southwestern diet. Refried beans. Tacos. Enchiladas. More enchiladas. Lots of chips and salsa. Albondigas (meatball soup with potatoes). Carne asada. Breakkfast burritos -- chorizo (Mexican style sausage), eggs, cheese and potatoes.

Damn, now I want me some green chile, cheese and chicken enchiladas!

Why does your doc want you on gluten-free? Have you been diagnosed with Celiac disease? If not, there's no real reason to go gluten-free. I think it's kind of today's "fad" disease. I know people who DO have Celiac disease and get sick if they eat food that's not gluten-free. But if you haven't been diagnosed as having Celiac, I don't get where your doc is coming from...

Eat a Southern diet. Chicken fried steak and sausage gravy. Biscuits and sausage gravy. Fried chicken. Mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Fried eggs and grits.

Or a Southwestern diet. Refried beans. Tacos. Enchiladas. More enchiladas. Lots of chips and salsa. Albondigas (meatball soup with potatoes). Carne asada. Breakkfast burritos -- chorizo (Mexican style sausage), eggs, cheese and potatoes.

Are you going to come and cook all of that for me?  :laugh:

My Dr is on this gluten free kick. He thinks gluten is bad for everybody. He says that it alters things in our bodies, and can cause a host of health problems, like cfs, fibromyalgia, brain fog, migraines.

Do you avoid any foods because of gluten or msg?

I have noticed a lot of buddies on here going gluten free. Is it supposed to help?

I lost a lot of weight due to the Ativan. As my apeptite slowly came back, I tried to pack on the pounds every way I could. But what I learned was that my slow regain of weight was directly proportional to my Ativan dose and was largely (though not completely) indepndent of my diet.

I weighed myself daily and plotted this against my Ativan dose over 4 months. The correlation was striking. That said, I ate a high fat diet (e.g. stopped trimming the fat off those delicious ribeyes) and when I had no apetite, I drank a delicious (vegan) SuperFoods meal replacement drink. All you need to do with these is to shake them up really hard, though a blender will get rid of the chunks. Instead of using water or juice to prepare them as directed, I used whole fat milk which. These dietary practices helped to stymie my weight loss, but all told, weight gain really was more dependent on my Ativan dose.

I also exercised regularly which certainly stimulated my apetite.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Smoothies are good. I make one nearly everyday with milk, half a banana (you could use a whole one - lots of carbs there), frozen blueberries, and chobani plain yogurt. If you have issues with milk, maybe try rice milk or almond milk and eliminate the yogurt. Go for more banana. You could use different things in them. I've even mixed in PB to give it some extra flavor in the past but without the berries. PB on a banana is also good.

You could try adding healthy carbs like baked potatoes. You could make potato salads for extra calories. Most store delis have them already made and they have lots of calories. Also, chicken salads - deli made so you don't have to cook and they add mayo and other things for calories.

For big calorie boosts carbs are the fastest way there along with fats. Take whatever you would eat and just add carbs and fats into them. Doesn't even have to be unhealthy ones. Olive oil and nut butters are healthy though the nut butters have higher glutamates which for some trigger symptoms. Veggies that are high in carbs would be good. Most squashes are. Ripe fruits can do it too. Papaya, bananas, mangoes.

Gluten is something many are sensitive to but under ideal circumstances, the body can handle it pretty well. WD introduces the worst circumstances so now people who were able to eat it and not notice consequences find it to be problematic because all these processed foods have toxins our bodies could handle before but now it just adds issues and worsens WD. Very little to no gluten would be best if the doctor wants that. I don't know if you are up for cooking but there are some excellent gluten free mixes out there. Pam's is one and you can make things like muffins and pancakes and even breaks with it. If I remember correctly, it's like bisquick but the cleaner version without gluten. Link below to pam's gluten free baking mix on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4/185-2581730-5866814?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pams%20gluten%20free%20baking%20mix&sprefix=pams%2Caps%2C178

Thanks everyone!! You have given me some ideas!

Are grits a good thing? I love them with lots of real butter?

I have noticed my appetite going away once I started the Ativan. What's up with that?

Are you going to come and cook all of that for me?  :laugh:

My Dr is on this gluten free kick. He thinks gluten is bad for everybody. He says that it alters things in our bodies, and can cause a host of health problems, like cfs, fibromyalgia, brain fog, migraines.

Do you avoid any foods because of gluten or msg?

I have noticed a lot of buddies on here going gluten free. Is it supposed to help?

He's likely on this fad because gluten causes issues for many people only they don't realize it. Our bodies as a norm can process it unless we have major issues with it. But it has been discovered that people can be sensitive to gluten and it can trigger other health issues or add to them. So under ideal circumstances, you could probably have gluten with minimal to no noticeable issues, though you could still have some inflammation from it or it could be more work for your system to handle. In WD, these things that we could process before like sugar and processed foods, now are problematic because essential they create more work for the body or are toxic just enough that it adds to WD where before WD it was not an issue. The body can handle a large amount of unhealthy things as a norm when we are healthy, but when our health is not ideal, each one of these things can cause more problems than it is worth. I suspect this is why so many people develop many sensitivities during or after WD. The body is processing as much as it can, but these things are too much for it to handle in the middle of WD. Thus, it reacts quite harshly to them to protect itself against being further compromised.

That makes sense. It was all of those fears that made me lose 40 lbs in three months. I just started eating more and now my Dr wants me off the gluten. I think that I will at least stick with my Cheerios for now. Too many good vitamins in them.

Hi:

I love cheerios!  Eat 3 bowls of it in the am, along with two english muffins with peanut butter. Since I began my taper My appetite has grown. A this need for sugars, espcially candy, cookies, pies, etc. Mostly chocolate.

I  don't care much about what's been talked about things being glutin free. i don't pay attention to it; think it's another fad thing that's already been posted. Tex67's southern diet seems right on. Also if you have chicken eat it with the skin. And use mayo if you're gonna have a sandwich. And butter. Homemade mac and cheese is good. Las. too is good too. Make sure you eat veggies or a salad with lunch and dinner to keep your diet healthier.

I've been eating like a pig since my taper, three or four meals a day plus a constant cookie in my mouth. Haven't gained a lb. Hoping I will. Pizza? Add additonal cheese to it. Creamed soups you can buy? Try those super high calorie protein shakes you can buy at the store. Oh, I also eat granola bars. They are high in calories, especially if you can eat two or three. I eat them every day. Benzogirl.

I agree with all who are leaning towards the Gluten Free being more a fad than not. Also agree there are some who really cannot tolerate Gluten. IMO if you have not experienced trouble with it or specifically been diagnosed as having a problem with it, I'd say phooey on it and eat whatever sounds good to you, that doesn't cause you trouble. That having been said, some of the guidelines I have seen for during tapers and w/d are to take it easy on sugar and salt (cookies, ice cream, dessert, etc.), avoid caffeine, chocolate and especially alcohol. Also - not that you can't have some Cheerios that indeed do have some vitamins in them, but bear in mind they are also somewhat high in sugar and IMO, vitamin wise, you'd be better served with a good multivitamin.

I did not loose quite as much weight as you, but could also stand to have lost some. My appetite is now returning . . . which is a good thing, but I don't necessarily want to put back everything I lost  ;)

Best of luck  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

SnapDragon

Oh, yeah, the last post mentioned eating like a pig and it reminded me: roast some pork loin and make PULLED PORK. Roast it at 325 or so until it just falls apart. Shred (aka pulling) it, mix in some high-calorie barbecue sauce, and hum, you have one heck of a good meal, with leftovers!

As for gluten, I'm sticking with my "fad of the month" theory. It'll sell a lot of diet books and make a few people rich, like the South Beach Diet did, and then in a month or two everyone will be on the Pulled Pork Diet, or something...

People will sell anything if there's a buck to be made...

Oh, yeah, the last post mentioned eating like a pig and it reminded me: roast some pork loin and make PULLED PORK. Roast it at 325 or so until it just falls apart. Shred (aka pulling) it, mix in some high-calorie barbecue sauce, and hum, you have one heck of a good meal, with leftovers!

As for gluten, I'm sticking with my "fad of the month" theory. It'll sell a lot of diet books and make a few people rich, like the South Beach Diet did, and then in a month or two everyone will be on the Pulled Pork Diet, or something...

People will sell anything if there's a buck to be made...

Is this how you eat? Does msg bother you at all?

Hi Denise,

Could you add some granola in with your cheerios, it's pretty high in calories.

Are you okay with raw egg? I'll rummage around for my recipe for eggnog, I used to whip some up every morning for extra protein and calories (no alcohol ... of course, lol).

I like smoothies too, we have a big blender but I'm too lazy to use it because it's always such a production to wash it.

I saw some Hamilton Beach single serve blenders for smoothies at the grocery store yesterday, they're only about $16.

Eat your wheaties!

Hugs,

Chinook :hug:

I don't know what's available in your town but where I live you can just switch to products made with rice which is gluten-free. Rice cereal, pasta, bread, even sweets. No need for diary when there are tons of alternative milks; rice, almond, coconut, potato, hemp. Try a health food store if it's not available at the grocery store. Two of my family members must eat gluten-free otherwise they get severe IBS.

Try snacking on nuts.

For some reason nuts can cause weight gain even when on a lowcarb diet.

Also, when we eat more protein than our body needs, it will turn to sugar and store as fat.

If u don't want fat, do some body building.

Try snacking on nuts.

For some reason nuts can cause weight gain even when on a lowcarb diet.

Also, when we eat more protein than our body needs, it will turn to sugar and store as fat.

If u don't want fat, do some body building.

Great advice. Nuts are chock full of nutrients and packed with major calories! And the same with the bodybuilding (ladies too!; key term "some").

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have got to something!!

I lost another 3 lbs this last week.

I weighed 183 in July, and now I am down to 136. I know that 136 is not a terribly low weight, but to lose that much that fast is just not healthy.

If I could get my heart to stop racing, maybe my body would settle down and let the weight come back on, or at least stop losing. But, it runs a marathon all day and night.

Hello,  I also lost so much weight that it started scaring me.  I did go gluten free because my stomach hurt so bad.  I kept a food journal and realized that I had to go lactose free also.  I finally started gaining weight by eating a lot of fried potatoes.  I boil the potatoes skin and all.  The smaller ones work better but any potatoes will do.  I put them in the refrigerator and after they're cooled off I cut them up and fry them up in olive oil. After a while I started gaining weight.  When I ate a sandwich with rice wraps I added a pile of potato chips.  I also eat corn bread that I make with Bob's Mills GF flour and cornmeal.  I've gained about 12 pounds since my low point.  I also buy coconut ice cream which isn't cheap but I splurge on it.  Kind of cold this time of year though.  Good Luck.

Hello,  I also lost so much weight that it started scaring me.  I did go gluten free because my stomach hurt so bad.  I kept a food journal and realized that I had to go lactose free also.  I finally started gaining weight by eating a lot of fried potatoes.  I boil the potatoes skin and all.  The smaller ones work better but any potatoes will do.  I put them in the refrigerator and after they're cooled off I cut them up and fry them up in olive oil. After a while I started gaining weight.  When I ate a sandwich with rice wraps I added a pile of potato chips.  I also eat corn bread that I make with Bob's Mills GF flour and cornmeal.  I've gained about 12 pounds since my low point.  I also buy coconut ice cream which isn't cheap but I splurge on it.  Kind of cold this time of year though.  Good Luck.

Coconut ice cream? Does it have sugar in it? What brand?

Thanks for the idea on the potatoes.

Hi Denise,

Could you add some granola in with your cheerios, it's pretty high in calories.

Are you okay with raw egg? I'll rummage around for my recipe for eggnog, I used to whip some up every morning for extra protein and calories (no alcohol ... of course, lol).

I like smoothies too, we have a big blender but I'm too lazy to use it because it's always such a production to wash it.

I saw some Hamilton Beach single serve blenders for smoothies at the grocery store yesterday, they're only about $16.

Eat your wheaties!

Hugs,

Chinook :hug:

Thanks Chinook!!

Ummm, not a fan of eggnog.  :P

But, I really do need to find me a small blender and use it for smoothies. I am not a fan of yogurt, but it mat not be bad with some fruit blended with it.

Replying on the coconut ice cream.  Sorry for the delay in answering, I don't come on Benzo Buddies real often.  The coconut ice cream is Luna & Larry's Organic Coconut Bliss.  The sweetener is Organic Agave Syrup.  I like the Chcolate Hacelnut Fudge and the Dark Chocolate the best but they also have mint and cherry.  Good luck with gaining some weight. 

[4b...]

I can't recommend organic coconut oil enough! EASY to digest, high in fat and calories, and will give you energy.

Also, avocados, nuts/seeds that are soaked. :)