Problems with family

[Ch...]

I had a bad day today. I wanted to go into town and my parents came home. My mother wanted to sit beside me while I drove. However, I snapped at my father and told him that he does not do much for me, that I am sick and cannot drive well. He yelled at me saying I don't want to get well among other things and he slammed the doors and went back into town. Later he came home still upset and would not let me take the car to get cigarattes. After a long stressfull day I feel like I needed to vent. He was off the wall mad, I was shocked that he got so upset about the truth, I mean all I wanted was a little understanding and help from him, instead of always telling me I am fine. He has a prior heart attack and I was concerned seeing him so crazy. But, I could not control myself when I told him he does not do enough for me, which is the way I feel. He went to bed without taking his heart medication and I feel like a burden in his way. I will most likely go back to Toronto and deal with this withdrawal on my own. I am still shaken up and can't get out of my mind what has just occurred.

Chris I am also from Canada,

Dealing with family can be very difficult. I guess I can imagine it's difficult for them as well. My family has witnessed me completely snap and display a son that was out of his mind. Fortunately they didn't call the police and I remain under there roof during this ordeal.

It's good you came here to vent, we are here to listen!

I hope you can clear the air with your father once the dust settles.

Cheers,

Fonz

another Canadian here. I have snapped many times, especially at my parents. Rage has been a common theme throughout my benzo use and withdrawal period. My parents too think I am not doing anything to help myself, not willing to get better,etc. I get no validation, no support whatsoever. You're not alone... We will all get through this!

I understand it is hard on them. But, they don't have withdrawal to deal with and they have their mind. This whole mess started from the other day as a psychiatrist told them I still can't be in withdrawal, and my father trusts doctors. I am from east coast in Canada, and there are probably four to five psychiatrist in this city and unfortunately not too many know about this syndrome. Anyway, a few more weeks and I am out of here, I'll stumble around the best that I can in Toronto, I know I wonth die from this so far out.

I had a girlfriend get mad at me and say "You like being sick!, you will never get better!".. Ahhh, I'm sooooo lucky I didn't get locked up that day, I was PISSED and in my mind very nearly out of my mind.. Honestly the devil came out that day.

It's so tough when no one will listen.

I grew up In NB, about 30min from Moncton. I'm now on the west coast of NL. How about you guys?

I understand it is hard on them. But, they don't have withdrawal to deal with and they have their mind. This whole mess started from the other day as a psychiatrist told them I still can't be in withdrawal, and my father trusts doctors. I am from east coast in Canada, and there are probably four to five psychiatrist in this city and unfortunately not too many know about this syndrome. Anyway, a few more weeks and I am out of here, I'll stumble around the best that I can in Toronto, I know I wonth die from this so far out.

just out of curiosity where are you from? I'm in Halifax. The mental health system is not great in the maritimes. It has been extremely difficult to see a psychiatrist. The one time I saw one nothing was ever acknowledged about benzo withdrawal. not helpful at all.

I used to live in Vancouver. The mental health care is 1000x better out there. The doctors,nurses, counsellors, quality and speed of care. All of it is better.

I am in Fredericton, New Brunswick..There are benzo wise doctors in Toronto, and I also find the medical care to be much better. They do not do mineral tests in NB  if you request one, because it is too expensive, but that was not a problem in ON.

It's certainly seems to be common to hear that the east coast has poor medical facilities etc. Unfortunately psychiatrists in this country seem to be primarily focused on medication only. For this reason I personally will never see one again  :P  I can certainly vouch for a psychologist though as they provide beneficial skills to cope. I guess a psychiatrist would be good for a diagnosis but it will always lead to drugs.

Chris , I snapped at my dad yesterday! He's always insinuating that I can get up and going .... No worries. He says.... Just get up and forget about it. U look ok... Ect. I snapped and said .... Stop trying to say I can help being like I am. Do u think I would like being unwell all the time! .... And a few other things. ...I feel bad.

But , I am sick of being censored. I can , on a bad day , worry all day about what he is thinking and how I can't help him. He's 82 and he's up and around, I'm not.

It can mess with our head for sure. But , I think our parents worry about us. No matter how old we are. Or how old they are for that matter! Really, we are so miserable and all we need is understanding , isn't it.          I am sending u a hug, things will get better. I'm sure of it.    Pinkee