Addict or dependency...anyone

[49...]

[49...]

I struggle with the label "drug addict."  My benzo wise doc, family, friends, therapists tell me a developed drug dependency.  I do understand my body became addicted to clonazepam at the same time I never exhibited any substance or drug abuse behavior.  I stupidly took medication as prescibed, questioned my doc a few times about tapering...he thought it was controlling my anxiety we'll.  of course, now I know better.

When I created my very first stupid taper then crashed.  My husband and I deep irately searched for a program to help me through my taper.  I was shocked to learn most of these programs were for addicts.  My insurance wouldn't cover the costs because it was determined I wasn't an addict.

Question.  I know the difference between substance abuse and dependency.  I have tremendous compassion for those addicts seeking help.  It seems the industry wants to label us addicts and work our "steps."  A very effective program for those who need it.

Comments!

Interesting thoughts WillDoIt . . . Having gone through "the steps" myself, many many years back, I agree there is a difference between substance abuse and adverse reactions to a "normally" prescribed drug. Only problem is, in both cases, addiction is the accurate term. Your body is addicted or it would not be screaming in withdrawal. However, it is a travesty the way we are treated by many uneducated and / or uncaring health care individuals. On one of my ER trips from the extreme w/d from prescribed low dose Clonazepam, until they finally realized what was going on, they were indeed treating me like I was a substance abusing druggie, which could not have been further from the truth. It is also unfortunate that many health insurance providers will not currently pay for any mental health or substance abuse problems. Come this January 1st though, at least here in the U.S., it is mandated that they must.

I'm about to shut down for the day - time for me to slow down, no bright lights, etc., in order to sleep better. I'll check back again tomorrow.

I wish us both a good night's sleep  :sleepy:

LAH

SnapDragon