Day with the Dentist

[In...]

With my DR raging at all time high levels a trip to the dentist awaited today. Would have been so easy to cancel, but I managed to get out the door and drive the car there (with my wife in the passenger seat, just in case DR was too heavy).

Anyhow, it was tough sitting there with head lowered and bright lights shining in my face. Not too bad on the anxious feelings at all, managed to sit pretty still.

For the second time in w/d I took the advice of some here and got novocaine with NO epinephrine. I made it through the drilling on tooth one, but on tooth two it hurt too badly. She asked if I would try a little epi, so she put a little bit in there. Didn't work. So there I sat with half drilled tooth, not enough pain medication and memories of people who did take epi feeling like they were back in acute w/d. I bit the bullet and she ended up giving me about 75% of a full dose of the epinephrine. Ahhhhhh, sweet relief as they finished the drilling! And no added raging anxiety yet. It's been about 2 hours and all to show so far from the epi is possibly a headache.

So, buddies, if you are at the dentist and just the novocaine isn't working it IS possible to use epinephrine and not get tossed into a terrible wave. I'm already in a terrible wave so that could be a factor as well  :D

Good for you. Sounds like you only took as much as you needed. Your not just smart but brave.

I been thinking about taking a vicodin or pircicot to break a pain cycle but I like you worry about the consequences.

The "freezing" that the dentist gave me over 5 times in my w/d never affected me in the slightest,  I was in full acuted W/D the first 2 appointments to get teeth pulled.  The D/P kinda served as a buffer for the pain and anxiety in a strange way.  So it CAN be done.

If you are really sensitive to meds and foods and stuff in your w/d you might want to do as Innadaze and ask your dentist to give you the novocaine without epi first, or just try a little bit.

Congrats on walking through your fears Innadaze!  Happy that it wasn't "soooo bad" for you.  I can relate.