Ashton Manual

[So...]

I just read parts of the Ashton Manual and I can honestly say I am now very depressed.  She says that in some people some of our symptoms possibly can be permanent because the GABA/BZ receptors fail to revert back to their pre-benzo state.  Are you telling me that my anxiety, panic attacks and phobias might be permanent?  I am so upset....does anyone have comments about this.  I wish I never read her manual.  If I stay like this I will not make it.  I am in need of support from my BB.  I don't want to upset anyone.

I think it's pointing to these listed here:

"often leaving the nervous system hyperexcitable (paraesthesiae, formication, muscle twitches, fasciculation, sensory hypersensitivity, tinnitus, jaw and dental pain, insomnia etc.) or generally unregulated/uncoordinated (cognitive) problems. Being functional changes, they are potentially capable of resolving which is why many people do notice gradual, if incomplete, improvement over the years."

It's very rare most people probably have just as much chance as never being on a benzo and developing anxiety disorders, panic disorders etc. Before benzo's, I had these "disorders" but wasn't nearly as intense as they are now. Many can testify as having these problems without ever taking a benzo or any other drugs. It's just highly exaggerated in wd and should go back to how you felt before benzos.

No I never did.  I was put on Valium as a muscle relaxant.  These are all new horrible feelings I have never experienced.  What did she mean when she said if incomplete, improvement over the years?

Because of the science behind it, people want to know definitive answers. It's basically saying that some stuff can be left over from benzos to cover all areas. Not as intense, obviously and highly tolerable unlike the way we feel now. Basically, its saying you might, in very rare cases, experience a change that stays with you post wd. It could be sensitivities to food etc.. You can have that without going on benzo's, but because the writing is specific to it, it's covered.

Though these are rare even in cases of use for over 20+ years with a horrible wd experience.

To make it more simple to understand. A person goes through the process and says they still have joint pain. It is possible to start feeling joint paint in general, it's life. But because this person was on a benzo, it's going to be documented.

How do you know that it is rare in people with 20 plus years of withdrawal?  Where does it say that?  I really appreciate your advice.  You have made me feel a lot better.  I am going through some very intense withdrawals right now, any hope I can cling onto is very helpful to me.  Thank you!

i think its important to know that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that permanent brain damage results from benzo use. valium has been around since 1963 and there have been zero studies linking it to any irreversible damage. its easy to get scared from reading horror stories on this site, but try to stay positive!

In the protracted section:

"Many of these people have taken benzodiazepines for 20 years or more and/or have had bad experiences in withdrawal. The incidence of protracted symptoms in those who have undergone a slow taper under their own control is almost certainly very much lower."

[04...]
Sonria I've taken benzos for forty years and have it straight from the horse's mouth (Prof. Ashton) that I will heal but it's going to take time. I expect everything to clear with time so hang in there and don't worry as it's counterproductive. It's better not to read too much as our nervousness systems exaggerate everything out of proportion. One day we will be completely free, look at Bliss Johns.

Since I went cold turkey am I still going to recover?  I did not know I should of tapered.  I am having a horrible time right now.  Really do not know what to do!

Since I went cold turkey am I still going to recover?  I did not know I should of tapered.  I am having a horrible time right now.  Really do not know what to do!

Hi, people who cold turkeyed off benzos do recover.  I did a c/t about 4 years ago (hospital 4-day detox, same thing) and though I reinstated several months later due to an unrelated health scare, I tapered off early last year and am now 20 months off.  I feel better than I did before or on Xanax, which actually worked quite well for my anxiety.  I've had anxiety issues all my life, though.  But now, my anxiety level is lower than it's ever been before.

Don't worry about what you "should have" done.  That never does any good.  Just keep living day to day, distract yourself from obsessing about your symptoms, and you will eventually heal!

:smitten:

If she did say that, I am very confident that it was pure supposition and not an empirically based conclusion.

Strike that thought from your mind. :oXo:

Sometimes reading horror stories or technical data can really mess you up.  I'm doing that today.  Fears, hopeless, catastrophising.....making my symptoms of anxiety far worse.  We all do this...remember, it's not your brain....it's the drugs.  I know it's hard to control, but we have to try.  This is not forever.  Bliss speaks of over 5,000 of her contacts and all have healed.  Time is the

Healer. Try reading only success stories for awhile.  Wishing you well.

Hi Sonria and all bb:

I've been on this site for over three years.  When I found the Ashton Manual in 2010, I not only found out what was happening to my husband, I found out what happened to me in the 80's from Valium.  I was validated from what I went through.  I healed from it all, that was 28 years ago... my husband is almost healed 100%...  This is what I wanted to share with you:

http://benzowithdrawalhelp.com/2012/09/07/bliss-answers-our-questions/

Read and re-read this.  You will heal, you do totally heal..  I know first hand with myself, as well as my husband. 

Hugs to you, Pattylu

It is interesting how different people reading the same thing have opposite reactions. I actually read the Ashton Manual when I need encouragement and inspiration. It uplifts me even more than success stories for some odd reason. Everyone is different. I'm sorry that you found it upsetting.