Author Topic: Ashton Manual  (Read 4311 times)

[Buddie]

Ashton Manual
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:01:58 am »
I just read parts of the Ashton Manual and I can honestly say I am now very depressed.  She says that in some people some of our symptoms possibly can be permanent because the GABA/BZ receptors fail to revert back to their pre-benzo state.  Are you telling me that my anxiety, panic attacks and phobias might be permanent?  I am so upset....does anyone have comments about this.  I wish I never read her manual.  If I stay like this I will not make it.  I am in need of support from my BB.  I don't want to upset anyone.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:36:00 am by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Ashton Manual
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:19:07 am »
Where does it say that?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:26:55 am »
I googled Ashton Manual permanent damage, and I read what she said.  Please let me know what you think! 

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:35:31 am »
I think it's pointing to these listed here:

"often leaving the nervous system hyperexcitable (paraesthesiae, formication, muscle twitches, fasciculation, sensory hypersensitivity, tinnitus, jaw and dental pain, insomnia etc.) or generally unregulated/uncoordinated (cognitive) problems. Being functional changes, they are potentially capable of resolving which is why many people do notice gradual, if incomplete, improvement over the years."

It's very rare most people probably have just as much chance as never being on a benzo and developing anxiety disorders, panic disorders etc. Before benzo's, I had these "disorders" but wasn't nearly as intense as they are now. Many can testify as having these problems without ever taking a benzo or any other drugs. It's just highly exaggerated in wd and should go back to how you felt before benzos.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:39:10 am »
I hope I did not upset you [...]....I certainly did not want to do that.  I am just upset and wanted advice.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:41:18 am »
No, you didn't. Benzo's do :P

Did you have problems with anxiety before benzos?

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 06:44:41 am »
No I never did.  I was put on Valium as a muscle relaxant.  These are all new horrible feelings I have never experienced.  What did she mean when she said if incomplete, improvement over the years?

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:59:37 am »
Because of the science behind it, people want to know definitive answers. It's basically saying that some stuff can be left over from benzos to cover all areas. Not as intense, obviously and highly tolerable unlike the way we feel now. Basically, its saying you might, in very rare cases, experience a change that stays with you post wd. It could be sensitivities to food etc.. You can have that without going on benzo's, but because the writing is specific to it, it's covered.

Though these are rare even in cases of use for over 20+ years with a horrible wd experience.

To make it more simple to understand. A person goes through the process and says they still have joint pain. It is possible to start feeling joint paint in general, it's life. But because this person was on a benzo, it's going to be documented.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 07:23:19 am »
How do you know that it is rare in people with 20 plus years of withdrawal?  Where does it say that?  I really appreciate your advice.  You have made me feel a lot better.  I am going through some very intense withdrawals right now, any hope I can cling onto is very helpful to me.  Thank you!

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:30:21 am »
i think its important to know that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that permanent brain damage results from benzo use. valium has been around since 1963 and there have been zero studies linking it to any irreversible damage. its easy to get scared from reading horror stories on this site, but try to stay positive!