Brain damage as a result of long-term benzo use

[Ki...]

I have been in recovery for 2.5 years. I was on various benzos including Xanax, Klonopin, and Temezapam for 10-11 years. My memory has improved greatly, but I have developed some sort of ataxia--uncontrollable limb and neck movements that started during withdrawal and into my recovery. My doctor has mentioned that I see a neurologist for an MRI and possible treatment. I am on disability (not for this reason) and cannot afford to see a Neurologist. I know I need to get this done, though.

Is there anybody else that has been in recovery for a long period of time that is suffering from brain damage or other long-lasting withdrawal symptoms?

I am almost 3 years off and still have some pretty significant cognitive problems and a handful of other symptoms. Although I think that most people do recover in the first couple of years there are a fair number of people here who have been dealing with beyond the commonly quoted 6-18 month timeframe.

Professor Ashton mentions the possibility of brain damage but I really don't think that most of us have structural damage. I have had windows where all of my function returns (although usually not everything at once) which tell me that this is most likely not something that is going to be permanent, regardless of the cause. And even if you don't get windows I don't think that proves that you do have structural damage. Some people simply do not follow that recovery pattern.

If you are looking to connect with others who are in protracted wd you might want to join the BenzoBuddies protracted support board. You have to "opt in" to this board or you won't even be able to see it. Directions are in my signature.

I've wondered why downregulation of receptors isn't considered damage.  I know that it's not necessarily permanent, but I looked up the definition of damage and it states:

Damage :Physical harm caused to something in such a way as to impair its value, usefulness, or normal function.

Maybe the problem is the word harm? But when you lose the normal function, permanently or temporarily, of something wouldn't that be damage?

WWWI

I think it's that the term 'brain damage' implies that it is permanent. Downregulated can return to normal with time. Brain damage is something like a stroke or actual head trauma. So I think it's just a matter of the body healing over time. Neuroplasticity is an amazing and wonderful thing. We are healing as we taper and when we stop. For some it just takes longer. But I don't think that it means damage is permanent though there are some whom it takes a long time for a myriad of reasons.

Absolutely not.

This kind of posting really does not help anyone. I mean, think about it, if these drugs caused actual brain damage they would have been pulled years ago.

Does it take a long time to heal? For some of us, yes... but brain damage? It's unlikely.

Yes . My understanding has always been that brain damage and permanent brain damage are different.  I have mentioned in several of my posts that my  CNS and brain has been damaged from benzos always thinking the damage would heal over time. I may understand it wrong but I bet I not alone. Mayde when I heal I'll be able to understand things better.

I have been in recovery for 2.5 years. I was on various benzos including Xanax, Klonopin, and Temezapam for 10-11 years. My memory has improved greatly, but I have developed some sort of ataxia--uncontrollable limb and neck movements that started during withdrawal and into my recovery. My doctor has mentioned that I see a neurologist for an MRI and possible treatment. I am on disability (not for this reason) and cannot afford to see a Neurologist. I know I need to get this done, though.

Is there anybody else that has been in recovery for a long period of time that is suffering from brain damage or other long-lasting withdrawal symptoms?

I am curious if you had taken any other drugs besides benzodiazepines?

In so far as our 'functionality' is indefinitely compromised, I do believe this is 'damage'. The effects are certainly indistinguishable from damage. There may not be physical atrophy (a la strokes), but the neurochemistry is so altered that Id consider it indirect damage. I remember one old thread in which the science of withdrawal is broken down. The HPA axis is heavily dysregulated and w/d has similar effects to recovering from corticosteroids.