Lost mental health coverage as a result of insurance changes

[fa...]

Well guys after 12/31/13 I will no longer have my pdoc or insurance to cover any mental health meds. I was praying so hard that this would not come to frutition...and then BAMM!!!! I am trying not to spiral into an abyss of depression.

I have just tapered off Xanax and still have Ambien and Seroquel to deal with.

I just hope everyone gets to keep their docs and meds to finish this path we are going down.

I'll hold your hand if you'll hold mine....I hate to ask, but I think I am going to need some help!  :'(

makes me sad to see how people have to fight for their insurance. the whole system

seems to be a failure. i keep my fingers cross for you to find a solution.

very sad indeed. :o

Hi, let me warn everyone that overt political discussions are against the rules here.  Please limit yourselves to benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery related issues.

:thumbsup:

megan918

Hi fan,

The thread topic here raised my eyebrows as well, but when I saw your post I relaxed a little. If you've lost your insurance coverage as a result of the ACA changes, I'm sorry to hear that, and it's not a problem for you to express frustration about that as long as it doesn't turn into a political slapfest in here. All the politics of the ACA aside, this obviously has an effect on your withdrawal, and I am sorry for the added stress that is giving you.

I think that Ambien and Seroquel are both available as generics which should save you money, but I'm not totally sure. You should try talking to your pdoc about his rates for an uninsured person; I've had doctors see me for as little as $30 out of pocket at points in my life where I had financial difficulties.

fan - would it be okay if I changed the topic of your thread to "I lost my mental health coverage as a result of insurance changes", or something like that? It's more descriptive, and steps away from the politics of the situation.

Hi fan,

The thread topic here raised my eyebrows as well, but when I saw your post I relaxed a little. If you've lost your insurance coverage as a result of the ACA changes, I'm sorry to hear that, and it's not a problem for you to express frustration about that as long as it doesn't turn into a political slapfest in here. All the politics of the ACA aside, this obviously has an effect on your withdrawal, and I am sorry for the added stress that is giving you.

I agree, this could be a very real problem for people and it is a pertinent topic as long as everyone sticks to the facts as they pertain to benzo wd.

Interesting; now I see my new title inside the thread, and in the thread list for Chewing The Fat, but I still see the old name in the link to most recently updated thread from the main page. SIMPLE MACHINES FORUM IS MYSTERIOUS BLACK MAGIC!

:D

I absolutely abhor politics . . . so no worries of me getting political here. I just wanted to provide, hopefully, a bit of helpful info. The new laws for 2014 mandate mental health and drug related coverage, as well as the mandate of having coverage, and if you cannot afford it, you are eligible for help, tax breaks, etc. Here are a couple of links that I hope may shed some light.

Cheers,

SnapDragon

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-does-marketplace-health-insurance-cover/

https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/2014-in-214-words/

If you mean me, SnapDragon, I'm in Oregon. Not sure who you were asking, so figured I'd answer. Thankfully here in Oregon there is "Cover Oregon", a pool of policies to choose from, for those who qualify.

Oh, sorry I didn't clarify, I meant the original poster. In Oregon, you have plenty of affordable choices I read. I would love to move to Portland some day!