What am I doing wrong?

[sl...]

Please bear with me if I seem a bit incoherent, but I need to get some things out...

I stopped my daily doses of Alprazolam last Christmas Eve, and took my last Valium in early May of this year. Currently, I am taking 6mg of Seroquel every night about 2 hours before bedtime and have done so for just over a year. Every day I have the "cog-fog" as well as varying degrees of tinnitus. Plus, I'll get sudden bouts of light-headdedness. As a result, I have been pretty much homebound. I'm afraid to drive anywhere, let alone go see a doctor. My energy level is almost non-existent, yet I feel blessed when I get 7+ hours sleep a night. Can anyone give me some advice/insight as to what I can do differently? I have cut junk food out of my diet and try to eat more fresh fruits and veggies ( I had a couple recent blood sugar spikes) and I want to stop the Seroquel, but if I don't take it I can't sleep more than 3-4 hours.

I dunno, I just need some advice...

My advice, since you've been off benzos since May 5, would be to VERY SLOWLY taper off the Seroquel. I'm sure some former Seroquel users can address any problems they may have had.

Have you tried benadryl (available as a generic) and melatonin for sleep? I take on 25 mg. generic benadryl capsule and one 5 mg melatonin  at 10 p.m. and by 10:30 p.m. I'm out! I generally wake up about 3:30 or 4 a.m., but that's because of my prostate screaming at me to empty my bladder. I stumble to the bathroom and back, and usually am asleep again within minutes. I average 7-1/2 to 8 hours of sleep every night.

I came off Valium 21 days after you did, but I don't have any other psych meds in the mix. You've got the Seroquel, so that's probably what is holding up your recovery. You can Google "seroquel withdrawal" and find out how to get off, or go to the search here at BB in the upper right corner and try seroquel-related searches.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response, Tex...

I have tried the Melatonin route a couple of times (5mg) and although I did sleep well, I wound up being groggy the next day (in addition to the regular symptoms I described before). I even tried cutting the tablet in half but it has a semi-liquid center.

In regards to the Seroquel, I'm taking 1/4 of the smallest dosage available (25mg). I'm just wondering how much it is hindering my overall recovery. I want to stop, but when I don't get enough sleep my symptoms really rev up.