Pain Pills

[So...]

Hello.  I am having a lot of pain.  Is it ok to take Tylenol with Codeine while I am in withdrawal?  I have to take something, I was just wondering if this will hurt me.  Thank You!

Hi there, paracetamol seems to be fine.. A drug withdrawal naturopath I saw said that codeine binds benzo's to the tissues? She has done it for 20 years.. When she explained it, it all made sense. Just try paracetamol, it doesn't seem to cause probes with people in withdrawal. Xx

MissMoo...Paracetomal is Acetaminophen which is over the counter.  It does not help for my kind of pain.  What do you mean that Codeine binds with Benzo?  I am not taking Benozs anymore.  I thought some more people would be able to answer this, but I guess this is a doctor question.  Does anyone else have any ideas to my question?  Thank you!

I use codeine and paracetamol . In my country they are called pain tablets. I have no problems with them ,I find them helpful. Occasionally I take 2  ibuprofen . I am careful with them because they can affect my stomach.    Hugs    Pinkee 

Codeine won't hurt your withdrawal from benzo's. I used codeine and paracetamol myself throughout my wd.

I don't know where Miss Moo's naturopath got her information. Codeine is addictive but occasional use in benzo wd should be fine.

yup I've used it during w/d and there has been no revving of symptoms.  Only on 2 occasions though.  Usually advil does the trick but after some dental work I was hesitant to take the tylenol w/ codeine I was prescribed but I did and I never experienced any negatives.  Like I said only took it twice because codeine is addictive and has a withdrawal if one gets hooked.

Codeine is in the opiate family so i don't think it will affect the GABA receptor's. i am tapering from an opiate.

i would say if you are in severe pain, taking a codeine would be all right. all in all, i would say the brain doesn't need any other drugs while healing from benzo's. that is the point i would like to get to when i taper this last 3 mg from suboxone.

i do take excedrin when i have severe head pressure and headaches. it also seems to work for body aches.

Hello.  I am having a lot of pain.  Is it ok to take Tylenol with Codeine while I am in withdrawal?  I have to take something, I was just wondering if this will hurt me.  Thank You!

this is one thing i can't understand . why not just grind your teeth and accept the pain

and keep off this chemical crap, it won't last forever and your body will be clean.

is it just me thinking like this or is it common sense ? ???

this is one thing i can't understand . why not just grind your teeth and accept the pain

and keep off this chemical crap, it won't last forever and your body will be clean.

I live with chronic pain because I have 6 compression fractures in my spine due to osteoporosis.

I use extra strength tylenol every day. I stay well under the daily limit.

I would grind my teeth and accept the pain but unfortunately it would also mean restricting my mobility which is bad for me too.

I live with chronic pain because I have 6 compression fractures in my spine due to osteoporosis.

I use extra strength tylenol every day. I stay well under the daily limit.

I would grind my teeth and accept the pain but unfortunately it would also mean restricting my mobility which is bad for me too.

i am so sorry Chinookwind, thats different of course and terrible. i was refering to wd pain

of course. 6 compression fractures .... this must be painful. so sorry. :(

That's okay Morreweg. I'm still pretty spry and able to get into all sorts of mischief, lol.

The tylenol enables me to go for walks and stay active. I wish I didn't have to take it.

Hope you're having a nice day.

Chinook

If your pain is really bad, I see no point in denying yourself some relief.

I use Tylenol . . . can't take NSAIDs as I have to be kind to my stomach. Had an ulcer. Just stay within the daily limit for Tylenol and don't take it for days and days on end. It can be damaging to the liver if you overuse it.

I started to take Tylenol for the godawful headaches I used to get in w/d. Never had headaches before that time. My doc said go ahead and take Tylenol. No need to suffer!! Fortunately the period of headaches passed.

If something like Tylenol can bring you relief, I wouldn't (if it were me) mess with preparations that include codeine. It's so easy to grab for something stronger when you really don't need it. But that's just me. (Remember, it was grabbing for pills that got some of us into the mess we are now in). Start off with something OTC and see if that works. It might!!!

Be well.

Okatz

That's okay Morreweg. I'm still pretty spry and able to get into all sorts of mischief, lol.

The tylenol enables me to go for walks and stay active. I wish I didn't have to take it.

Hope you're having a nice day.

Chinook

thanks and a nice day to you as well. getting into mischiefs is a good thing, it will

keep you young . take care. :laugh::smitten:

I agree with Oregonkatz,

I would try tylenol or advil or even aleve first.  I found that these regular OTC pain meds actually work!  I got too used to reaching for a prescription for everything.  This is just my experience though. 

I really appreciate all of your comments, but I have to tell you that I am not taking the pain pills for withdrawal.  I have compressed discs in my neck and I have horrible numbness and pain down my arm.  I have had surgery, but it made it worse.  I have to have another epidural steroid injection......not happy about that.  I hate putting all that stuff in my body.....but at this point I need to do something.  Thank you!

Codeine is in the opiate family so i don't think it will affect the GABA receptor's. i am tapering from an opiate.

Well, it's not quite so black and white, unfortunately.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1497896

Opiates and the opioid peptide enkephalin can cause indirect excitation of principal cortical neurons by reducing inhibitory synaptic transmission mediated by GABAergic interneurons.

I suspect this is why some people see a short term spike in symptoms following opiate use. That said, I myself used OTC codeine preparations when I was severely ill with a virus several times during my taper, and did not have any problems as a result. I have seen some people have negative reactions or dependency to codeine on here, but as long as you don't use it very often it should be fine if it doesn't make you feel worse.

Well, it's not quite so black and white, unfortunately.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1497896

Opiates and the opioid peptide enkephalin can cause indirect excitation of principal cortical neurons by reducing inhibitory synaptic transmission mediated by GABAergic interneurons.

I suspect this is why some people see a short term spike in symptoms following opiate use. That said, I myself used OTC codeine preparations when I was severely ill with a virus several times during my taper, and did not have any problems as a result. I have seen some people have negative reactions or dependency to codeine on here, but as long as you don't use it very often it should be fine if it doesn't make you feel worse.

thanks, i was actually looking for something like this before i posted-- and only came up with codeine being in the opiate family. and even though i am on suboxone which inhibits a regular opiate like a Norco to work for pain or the way it's supposed, i took a few Norco for some period cramps and i couldn't believe how it made my brain have the sensation that it was 'rolling' around so i figured it had some "indirect excitation" principal to it. that is why i wrote to the OP that it's best to leave the brain alone during this time.

but things like compressed discs and fractures sure could get in the way at times. that must be awful to have that.