Burning Mouth Syndrome Sufferers: Does Xanax or Klonopin relieve it better?

[07...]

Feeling tired, sore and very achy today. Also my BMS seems way worse than usual.

Coincidentally I had to switch from the regular .5 mg Xanax to .5 Alprax (generic alprazolam) this morning. Can't think that this could cause it. I have checked all ingredients and that are identical except for the colour. Pfizer is not making Xanax here from December 1 (for commercial reasons it says on their web site). I've never used a generic before but I can't see this would be a factor.

I have read many articles about this syndrome which has no known causes and no cures. I know it is treated with Klonopin or some of the older antidepressants. Klonopin is not prescribed for anxiety here in Oz - just as an anti convulsant.

Has anyone any experience with comparing the efficacy of the two drugs? I would be most grateful for some informed wisdom.

Thank you.

Xana

Hi Xana,

My mom and I both had burning mouths for a few years.  Coincidentally we were both also taking benzos during those years…she was taking a sleeper and I was taking Xanax.  Her pharmacist made up a compounding liquid to swish with that helped keep the burning under control.  Looking back and knowing what I know now, I'm thinking the burning was a side effect of benzo use.  Mine is gone now but not sure when it left.  Mom's…sadly, we'll never know.

I see C/T BB November 27th 2013… you're not leaving us, are you?  :-[

Challis 

Thanks Challis. Mine developed towards the end of the Valium taper when I was around 4mg Valium per day (I think). I thought it was a withdrawal symptom as many here have described it. I presumed it would go when I reinstated Xanax. It didn't. My psych had no answers and couldn't say if it would EVER go. Since reading up on it and my GP confirming what I had already diagnosed myself, I realise no one knows for sure what causes it. My dentist just didn't have a clue.

I never had it when taking Xanax for all those years. Do you remember at what stage of taking Xanax you were at when yours developed?

I hate it.

Yes, I am leaving today.

Thanks for being my friend.

Xana x