Antibiotis for surgery??

[Is...]

Hi all,

I just got back from my pre-operation consultation for face skin cancer. The Dr said he wanted me to start antibiotics 1 day before operation and for a total of 7 days.  He wants me to take Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg. 

I am scared that it will rev up my sxs more plus kill my stomach.  After vomiting for 2.5 months I had to rehab my stomach.  I an afraid the antibiotics would kill my gut.

On the other hand the dr does not want my wound to get infected so he does antibiotics for a precaution.

Has anyone taken Doxycycline or any other antibiotic? Will it make me worse? Oh my what a dilemma.

I have taken macrobid and cipro, which is a fluoroquinolone without problem. Others have been sick on antibiotics. It is VERY individual. If you have problems, you can aak the doc to switch you to a different one that doesn't bother you as much. A good probiotic really helps.

I have had 3 surgeries in the last 6 months and a super bad infection called cellulitis a few months ago. I had to take antibiotics for all. I posted the same question and was told by the smart bb to take tha antibiotics. I did ,and if it flared my sx, it was only  noticed in the last surgery which was a bunion surgery. I was under apx 45 min to  an hr. And the  flair was mainly nausea.  The Doc took me off the antibiotic after about a week. The flair could have been from the anathisia.  Good luck

I have taken several antibiotics during my taper and the only one that bothered me was Cipro. That made me nauseated.

If doxy bothers you, as NewMoon says, you could ask to be switched to another antibiotic. I asked my dr to knock off the Cipro and was put on another drug that didn't bother me.

And yes, taking a probiotic is such a good idea as the a/b will kill all bacteria . . . even the good ones . . . and the p/b will put the good ones back in your gut.

Hope this helps.

Okatz

I was told by several reliable sources to eat yogart that has ( forgot what it's called) in it. Someone will know what the ingredient is, it's common.  It will keep you from getting diareia.  Good luck