Feeling unable to take meaningful breaths, while on Ativan.

[An...]

Since yesterday, I started to have "air hunger " issues.

My sinuses feel plugged, yet I smell foul smells that do not exist. I cannot breathe through my nose, and feel like I am running out of air ..

It is a frightening symptom, that borders into panicking .. :'(

Breathing through my mouth, somehow does not fix the problem ..

Has anyone experienced this symptom?

Please, any thoughts or help will be appreciated ..

Thank you, Anu

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [An...]

• [mr...]

• [Th...]

• [In...]

Bumping this for you Anu.  Hopefully some other buddies will respond.  Breathing problems are well documented on BenzoBuddies.  Unfortunately a lot of buddies have this problem. 

Sure I had this and your right it is horrible.  It shouldn't last too long, mine breathing issues lasted about 2-3 weeks.  Try to place your face into a fan for a few seconds, that can help. Please try not to panic (I know easier said than done) as  this will make ANY physical worse. Tell yourself that it will definitely end.  The body knows how to heal itself, patience is what we need.

I have battled this over 6 months. Slowly it is getting better.

I've found that lying on my back and drawing the air into my belly instead of into my chest works best. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Over time when it comes back it gets easier and easier to get that breath. It came back again yesterday for me, but I am able to get the breath in even while walking. It is just harder and I have to concentrate to do so. Eventually it will be gone for both of us  :thumbsup:

Hi, for me that was one of my worst withdrawal symptoms and I just want to tell you that it does get better and now for me has completely gone away :thumbsup:

For me I tried not to panic, told myself I was getting enough breath, not turning blue, or gasping, it was just a horrible feeling of not being able to draw in a satisfying breath and yes I called it air hunger too, always trying to yawn or stretch to take in that  deep breath.

It will get better and then be gone!

Ladygrace 12 :smitten:

>:( I have the air hunger symptom too. It is my main symptom along with feeling like I was shot in the head. My head hurts and something is not right chemically, I get weird taste in my mouth, mood changes every few minutes. But, struggling for air like a fish out of water all day is the worst symptom, if that would go away I could handle the head hurting and my moods changing. Another weird side effect is that when I quit with the rapid taper, I developed what looks like a hole in my right cheek, looks like I got hit with a golfing ball in my face and it left an indent.  :tickedoff:

I have been tapering from Lorazepam  >:D for 9 months now and throughout my entire taper I have experienced breathing difficulties on a daily basis. :sick:  In addition to feeling like I can't always get a deep breathe, I also have a problem with talking.  When I talk, I feel like I don't have enough air to keep talking and the longer I try to talk, the worse it gets and I get pressure in my head and raw feeling in my throat...so I try to avoid talking much if I can.  I keep hoping that I will wake up one day and it will stop ...but so far, it hasn't.  I've even had extensive medical testing just to be sure there isn't some other cause....but all tests come back just fine.  When researching benzo w/d, I read that breathing difficulties are one of the many w/d symptoms.........lucky us, NOT !! :sick::(

Hoping that it will stop soon for both of us........ :smitten:

Ive been in tolerance this last year and this has been one of my main symptoms..

I can take a deep breath, but I feel like there was no oxygen in it, very unsatisfying, and makes me panick a bit...

I just slow down and breath deep and evenly (in and out)..

ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO BREATH OUT AS DEEPLY AS YOU BREATH IN, OR YOU'LL HYPERVENTILATE YOURSELF...

This helps it pass, just stay calm, and it works its way out....

This is my mom's worst symptom, but she has copd.

She has had the plugged nose feeling ever since she started the first taper in 2011.

It went away last summer at the 6th month, but came back after reinstatement.

She desaturates very easily and needs supplemental oxygen.

It has slightly improved recently, but issues still arise off and on.

I sure hope this symptom goes away soon.

I hope yours doesn't last long.

Breathing out for 5 seconds, then breathing in for 3 and pausing really helps settle things down.

I get it too and it is the sx I hate the most. Like inadaze, I feel better lying on my back for some reason? If I lay on my right side it get way worse. Left side is still not comfortable but doable. Sorry you have this, it really sucks and sometime make me want to run to the ER!

Sure I had this and your right it is horrible.  It shouldn't last too long, mine breathing issues lasted about 2-3 weeks.  Try to place your face into a fan for a few seconds, that can help. Please try not to panic (I know easier said than done) as  this will make ANY physical worse. Tell yourself that it will definitely end.  The body knows how to heal itself, patience is what we need.

Thank you cuddle for your response and encouragement ..

I am sorry that went through this too ..:(

You are giving me some wonderful ideas, that I will try ..Another problem that compounds the breathing is this crying .. :'( which makes things worse ..

I am grateful for your help.  :smitten:

Love, Anu

I have battled this over 6 months. Slowly it is getting better.

I've found that lying on my back and drawing the air into my belly instead of into my chest works best. I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Over time when it comes back it gets easier and easier to get that breath. It came back again yesterday for me, but I am able to get the breath in even while walking. It is just harder and I have to concentrate to do so. Eventually it will be gone for both of us  :thumbsup:

Thank you for responding Innadaze ..What a situation that we got ourselves into ..:( I am happy that yours is getting better ..I will try the techniques that worked for you ..Hopefully it will be gone soon ..

Stay well Innadaze  :smitten:

Love, Anu

Hi, for me that was one of my worst withdrawal symptoms and I just want to tell you that it does get better and now for me has completely gone away :thumbsup:

For me I tried not to panic, told myself I was getting enough breath, not turning blue, or gasping, it was just a horrible feeling of not being able to draw in a satisfying breath and yes I called it air hunger too, always trying to yawn or stretch to take in that  deep breath.

It will get better and then be gone!

Ladygrace 12 :smitten:

From your lips to God's ears Ladygrace ..:) Thank you for responding ..I am sorry that you suffered this too, but am happy that it went away ..

Stay well ..Sending you thoughts of wellness, and healing .. :smitten:

Love, Anu

>:( I have the air hunger symptom too. It is my main symptom along with feeling like I was shot in the head. My head hurts and something is not right chemically, I get weird taste in my mouth, mood changes every few minutes. But, struggling for air like a fish out of water all day is the worst symptom, if that would go away I could handle the head hurting and my moods changing. Another weird side effect is that when I quit with the rapid taper, I developed what looks like a hole in my right cheek, looks like I got hit with a golfing ball in my face and it left an indent.  :tickedoff:

Hi Chris, I am so saddened that you are suffering :( I know and feel your pains,  as I too have unbearable head symptoms ..:(

I will keep you in thought and prayer ..Everyone heals, we just have to bear the pain, until we get to the end of the tunnel ..

Stay well ..Love, Anu :smitten:

Ive been in tolerance this last year and this has been one of my main symptoms..

I can take a deep breath, but I feel like there was no oxygen in it, very unsatisfying, and makes me panick a bit...

I just slow down and breath deep and evenly (in and out)..

ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO BREATH OUT AS DEEPLY AS YOU BREATH IN, OR YOU'LL HYPERVENTILATE YOURSELF...

This helps it pass, just stay calm, and it works its way out....

Hi Benzy, thank you for taking the time to respond .. :smitten:

I am sorry that you have suffered with this too ..:( I appreciate the breathing techniques and will do them ..I hope that it will pass Benzy, because I get frightened and near panic ..:(

You take care of you ..I am grateful for your help .. :smitten:

Love, Anu

Thank you mrtmeo for your support and encouragement ..

I am so sorry that your Mother experienced this terrible symptom ..:(

God bless her and God bless you for the care you give her .. :smitten:

Please take good care ..

Love, Anu

Hi brunette,

I am so very sorry that you are suffering, with this monster ..:(

You have been tapering for a long time, so you will be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon ..Just hang in there ..At the end of this insidious journey, everyone heals ..

Thinking of you, and wishing you well.  :smitten:

Love, Anu

I get it too and it is the sx I hate the most. Like inadaze, I feel better lying on my back for some reason? If I lay on my right side it get way worse. Left side is still not comfortable but doable. Sorry you have this, it really sucks and sometime make me want to run to the ER!

Hi cool,

Thank you, I appreciate your response ..I am sorry that you suffered ..But you are a success story, and now you can go on and heal .. :smitten:

I know about running to the ER :( Along with this "air hunger " my BP gets unstable too :( The whole experience is frightening, and we did not choose it.. I deal with horrific head pressure, plus numerous other debilitating symptoms ..:(

You look after yourself, and stay well .. :smitten:

Love, Anu

Anu,

One more thing to consider is panic attacks. I've been having this sx so bad lately and it has been unbearable. I looked up panic attacks and for me anyway it seems spot on. I had never had a panic attack before quitting benzos so they are new to me. Seems deep breathing helps me somewhat too but crying could definitely make it worse. Does crying make you feel better after you're done? I haven't cried in years. Sometimes I feel the urge but never do. I hope you improve soon.

Hi cool,

I know panic attacks :( They are horrific ..I am so saddened that you are going through those cool ..:( Magnesium Glycinate helps with anxiety, maybe it will help with panic attacks too ..

The crying is a terrible symptom that I got while holding this tiny Ativan cut ..It is part of this depression, that has me by the throat.. :'(

I read somewhere that crying is good, that it releases toxicity caused by these evil drugs.

But this type of desperate crying I am not sure about.

Hang in there cool ..This is a journey that we must walk, one step at a time ..Only time is on our side it seems ..

I will keep you in my prayers .. :smitten:

Love, Anu

I also have bursts of the desperate crying Anoushka. It is difficult, but from what I have read is another symptom of withdrawal. Sometimes if feels good afterwards, other times not as good. Especially difficult when you are already out of breath. You will make it through all of this and the symptoms will get lower and lower with their intensity. Take care!

Ive been wondering if Ive coincidentally developed COPD, thats what it feels like..

Awww Benzy,  I hope not ..If you are concerned, maybe it will be a good idea to have it checked.

But it probably is a benzo symptom.

Some months ago, I would jump up in the middle of my sleep gasping for air ..Like sleep apnea ..Oh boy, was that frightening ..:( Thank the Lord it went away after a few weeks.

Isn't sad that we are suffering through all these horrendous symptoms, and no one is held accountable?

Stay well Benzy .. :smitten:

Love, Anu

Thank you so much Innadaze ..

But I have a long way to go ...I am holding a tiny Ativan cut, for 8 weeks now,

experiencing all these painful symptoms, with no stability in sight ..:(

I feel hopeless, and am consumed with despair .. :'(

I have lost perspective as to what to do anymore ..It seems that the longest I hold to get stable, new symptoms pop up to deal with ..

Take care Innadaze ..

Sending you thoughts of well being, and healing  :smitten:

Love, Anu

Along with the "air hunger " feeling, I get these terrible smells in my nose, or sinus.

They are awful, and they choke me, and I even have them in my sleep..They wake me up, and I try to chase them off by covering my nose with my hands or arms, to no avail ..

Any room I walk into, I cannot get away from these odors, that do not exist.

They really make my labored breathing much worse..:(

I wonder if anyone here has dealt with this symptom.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ..

Warm thoughts of healing to everyone  :smitten:

Anu