Forced to take Antibiotics - Prostate Infection - HELP!!

[pa...]

Dear all,

I'm on month 7 or 8 (lost count) and I was doing GREAT.  I really was healing quite nicely.  My mind was clearing up but I was experiencing discomfort in my lower abdomen for weeks and weeks.  I thought it was the withdrawal, but my doctor said it is a prostate infection.

I told him I am terrified of taking Cipro or any other flouroquinoles antibiotic because I've heard it messes with GABA receptors and can make things REALLY bad for people who are sensitive to those sorts of things.  So he prescribed me Doxycycline, which is not a quinolones antibiotic and he said it should be okay.

I took it for 4 days and was fine, but then got slammed with crazy symptoms.  I felt like I was tripping on acid.  I was dizzy and the ground was moving, and I was slammed with acute depression.  The doctor told me to discontinue until the side effects subside and then he will prescribe another non-Cipro antibiotic.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I am worried I will never be cured of this goddamn infection because I won't be able to handle the antibiotics.  I'm also worried because the doxycyline didn't seem to do anything.

My life was just starting to get back together but now it's fucked again.  I haven't been able to work for two days and I'm worried if it continues like this I will lose my job.

I would appreciate any insight anybody can offer.  Please!

Thank you,

PFG

I have no idea if you have a prostate infection or not; if you really do, then unfortunately, fluorquinolones are among the most effective antibiotics.

That said, I was misdiagnosed with a prostate infection during my first taper, and my whole problem turned out to be muscle tension in the pelvic floor, which can apparently cause pelvic/stomach/genital pain, sexual issues, bladder issues, etc -- all the same stuff that prostate issues can solve.

Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/Headache-Pelvis-Expanded-Edition-Understanding/dp/0972775552.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_prostatitis/chronic_pelvic_pain_syndrome

If you don't want to take the antibiotics, see if you can get an appointment with someone who knows what CPPS is, and see what they think of your symptoms.

For what it's worth, I took cipro for a month, did not have any adverse reactions, but also did not find it helpful.