Author Topic: Told to maybe post this over here for any insight or help.  (Read 8658 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Told to maybe post this over here for any insight or help.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:27:38 am »
Please stay away from all mental hospitals , I worked in one for many years and believe me when I say they will make you worse , I witnessed horrible physical and emotional abuse of patients and when I tried to do something about it I was told to keep my mouth shut if I didn't want to get fired , eventually I got fired for speaking out about the abuse , I'm still traumatized and I wasn't even a patient there , when you go into a mental hospital you become a cash cow for tons of people and nobody cares about anyone getting better it's all about money , mental hospitals make people crazy and if you think you're crazy now you have no idea what you are in for , I had seen patients being beaten , thrown against the wall , thrown out of windows , kicked in the privates , chained to a fence and much much more , I understand that you don't feel well mentally and I know how hard that is but don't think for a second you can trust doctors or people workin in mental hospitals , if I were you I would consider going on a small dose of whatever you were taking , I take chelates magnesium and vitamin d around 600mg a day and it helps a little with my anxiety , I also take one capsule of omega 3 fish oil a day and it seems to help a little with head pain , I hope you will feel better soon
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 10:34:00 am »
Seems like you are on the right track but I wouldn't even go to any detox
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 11:16:08 am »
Please stay away from all mental hospitals , I worked in one for many years and believe me when I say they will make you worse , I witnessed horrible physical and emotional abuse of patients and when I tried to do something about it I was told to keep my mouth shut if I didn't want to get fired , eventually I got fired for speaking out about the abuse , I'm still traumatized and I wasn't even a patient there , when you go into a mental hospital you become a cash cow for tons of people and nobody cares about anyone getting better it's all about money , mental hospitals make people crazy and if you think you're crazy now you have no idea what you are in for , I had seen patients being beaten , thrown against the wall , thrown out of windows , kicked in the privates , chained to a fence and much much more , I understand that you don't feel well mentally and I know how hard that is but don't think for a second you can trust doctors or people workin in mental hospitals , if I were you I would consider going on a small dose of whatever you were taking , I take chelates magnesium and vitamin d around 600mg a day and it helps a little with my anxiety , I also take one capsule of omega 3 fish oil a day and it seems to help a little with head pain , I hope you will feel better soon

[...], this is criminal and disgusting. its damn unbelievable.  >:(

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 11:39:40 am »

[...], this is criminal and disgusting. its damn unbelievable.  >:(
Yep it is and it's much more common than you know , nobody cares about " crazy " people they are only in institutions and group homes to make other people rich ( workers , guardians , owners of group homes ) it's a disgusting business , I'm still traumatized by all the horrible things I had seen

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 03:28:16 pm »
Oh, I personally have no intentions of going to a mental hospital.

It's just one of the things we finally cleared up yesterday when talking about the lack of many care options in this State.
I've already been in Detox, 10/29, and have no intentions of going back...

Main issue now is how to stablize me.
I don't think any Dr. is going to put me back on Xanax at 6 mg, because I was having bad Interdose WD's then. (They wouldn't write that amount anyway...)

Right now it seems the new Dr. wants to go back to Valium that I was given in Detox. He asked me to sign a waiver so he could the medical records from the Detox Center to see exactly what they did. I told him I believed they started me at 60 mg of Valium for the first day or two, then began the rapid cuts.

So he started me at 30 mg of Valium, which I thought was too low. Just sedates for about 1 to 2 hours and then the Anxiety really crashes through. Just seems wierd taking it now compared to taking at the Detox. I guess maybe because I was already on Xanax a long time and at a high dose, putting 60 mg of Valium in when I arrived was much different. Now after the detox and 4 Hellish days before the ER put a stop and brought me half way out, going back up using Valium seems a Lot different...

It may have a long half life, but seems to have a very short beginning duration of affect. After 2 hours, I'm breaking through.
The Ativan the ER gave me does a better job of keeping things at bay, yet have to dose Far too much and high.

Why I was asking if the Valium the new Dr. started me on was too Low, or since Ativan seems to somewhat work better, should I talk to him about maybe giving "Klonopin" a try since it also has a decent half life? Possibly better for anxiety/panic than Ativan? Just want to completely get stable for now.
A little lost on what to do or ask. Depressed about the whole situation... (6 months ago I was doing fine, and through the summer and fall everything has went extremely downhill.)

I eventually want to do a taper, but right now I want just a bit of normal back in life to take a break from what I just went through first.
I've never really given klonopin a try is one reason I asked, or thinking about asking him. Or perhaps 30 mg of Valium Is far to low considering my past usage of Xanax and what I was given as soon as i went into Detox. 60 mg.  I thought since the Ativan somewhat brings a bit of normal back, that isn't klonopin more potent and better?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:39:16 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 08:59:35 pm »
Hello Cochese.  It's worth taking the Valium for a week or so before drawing any conclusions about the strength of the dose.  This is because Valium accumulates slowly to a max concentration in you.

If I was in your situation I would do my best to put up with those awful bouts of anxiety (what some people call the "dreads") and cross over to 30mg Valium or a little more.  If you start at a higher dose then your taper will be longer.  I would hold at that dose for at least 3 or 4 weeks to make sure you are stable.

Just to clarify what I wrote because I think it may have been misunderstood.  I was trying to say that 30mg taken for a week may turn out to be about right if your symptom is mainly states of heightened anxiety. 

I didn't noticed you mentioning other disabling symptoms (brain zaps, confusion, shooting pains, tinnitus, lack of balance, lack of co-ordination, etc), so I assume your 30mg dose may be getting close to the right dose for you.  Over the coming weeks you would adjust to the valium and these states of dread would start to get better then when you are okay you may feel ready to make your first cut.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:32:29 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 12:17:29 am »
Hi:

The stories about the mental "health" care facilities sound like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, only worse. Poor [...] and others here with mental health facility experiences. With Klonopin, I would not recommend it as an alternative. True, you will feel better since it is strong like xanax and Valium is much weaker, but believe me, I am struggling off of Klonopin and it hasn't been that long since my taper began and still have most of it in my system. It's strong strong stuff and very difficult to taper off of, at least from my own experience so far. Try reading threads from The Klonopin Klub here. That will give you a good idea why they call it the beast. You'll pay for it sooner or later.

My pdoc is using the Ashton Method, using valium as part of the taper plans. After being on K for so long, high dose 8 mg 10+ years, to me taking a 10 mg = .5 K valium dose is like eating a piece of candy, that's how weak it seems to my system. If you decide to take K, expect more relief from it than you would valium because it's as strong as xanax. BTW, valium should not leave your system after two hours; it's very long acting; more so than K. It's just weaker so that's why your feeling little relief. Plus, going from 60 mg to 30 mg is insane.

Having previously been on xanax 13 mg (yes, it's true that much), for 10 years my withdrawal was C/T in detox overnight and I can't describe how bad it was for me. Just like you. That's when my psych immediately put me on 8 mg of K. I didn't at the time know K was addictive. The doc was not benzo wise and thought my withdrawal was just my natural anxiety/insomnia at play. She also thought I was bipolar, even tho I never had a manic/depressive state in my life. How Wrong!

Can't offer anything more than support and good wishes. Good luck. Hope you find someone right who can help you that doesn't live in an entirely different state (and state of mind). [...].

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 12:40:36 am »
Hello Cochese.  There's a lot you have to contend with and I am sorry to hear it.  You mention going to get a doc who will provide some diazepam to do your own taper with.  That sounds like a good idea. 

Sometimes diazepam can be very hard to get because U.S. docs rend to view it as a particularly dangerous benzo.  If you're having problems getting diazepam (and I have heard of people repeatedly being turned away by docs who won't prescribe it for them) then you may wish to consider clonazepam which is what many people here use.

I wonder why they view it this way? As opposed to any other benzo.

I always wonder about that too. [...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 12:46:40 am »
I agree with the others. Detox facilities are grossly inappropriate for getting off benzos

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 09:25:59 am »
I agree. Detox Centers seem to make a bad situation even worse. Like causing a PSTD type syndrome where even thinking about it causes pain, and also Hesitation, More Anxiety, to even want to try to get off again, period...  It certainly Shell Shocked me! One reason I would like to be completely Stable and Hold for a bit in Peace. Mom isn't well at all and would like to have her down for Thanksgiving from the Assisted Living she is stay at. Me and her both have went downhill this summer. Since my Dad passed in 2008, I've kind of become that void. A Brother and Sister who never helped with either Dad, or Mom. I'm in control of everything regarding her. VA Custodian, Power of Attorney, etc..., etc...  I'm about broke, may lose rental house, possibly nowhere to go, etc... One reason I almost didn't go to the Detox Center because I knew I would be bad after leaving, despite the person who worked there telling me it would only be for 2 weeks. yeah, right. Even my Pdoc didn't try and snow me that bad. (And people wonder why my anxiety has been through the roof for so long. ;) )

Thanks for the lastest replies [...] and [...]!
The info, thoughts given were actually the type I wanted to hear about.

I only have a 1 month experience with Klonopin that was tried about 4 years ago just as an experiment with my Pdoc to see how it effected me. Didn't kill me of course, but thought it was much weaker than Xanax, seemed to take a Lot longer to do anything, and that anything seemed weaker? Or just maybe the difference made it seem that way compared with Xanax. Only took it for that 1 month and went back to Xanax. Though after researching the past 2 months, it seems the majority say otherwise.

(I never liked Ativan either because it didn't seem to do anything other than give me a headache and sick feeling. Yet know after the Detox experience, it's a different situation. Helps me feel like me more than anything at the moment.)

The splitting Valium doses was a great idea, and thanks. I will try that later today. (I also agree that maybe 30 mg is insanely low, but my former (As of last Wed.) Pdoc called yesterday and said the same about the accumulation over time that will/should happen. She was concerned that she hadn't heard from me because she knew how bad I was and wanted to make sure i was alright. (Alive)

Starting the Valium over is also have some effects that i didn't experience at the Detox Center. (Though I know it could be related to different circumstances. One was coming down from Xanax and using it only 6 days from very high to low. The other is now like beginning anew.)

Seems to effect my breathing more. Worries me with my possible lung issues. (Ativan isn't doing so, or nowhere near as much.) Far more Weak Legged and Fatigued?
Some things I will need to talk with my new pdoc about, plus the suggestions given here this evening. Things I need to consider and make my mind up about. It's why I ask those questions because I hoped someone/people here would have more real life experience and my time is running short to decide.

(Seems that has been the case the past month. Very quick choices to make, just like the Detox Center. I was kind of Pushed into that asap. That alone caused more stress those past 2 weeks before going. Would I be cutoff? Would I consider going? etc... Basically told I had no choice. I knew very well I was having signs of Interdose, tolerence issues, yet a Klonopin or Valium taper was discussed before the Pdoc decided I wouldn't be able to do it, nor would she even consider anything remotely close to a long taper. Then decided I just needed to go in and get out it out. Said tapering was just prolonging...)