Help! 2.5 months off and I feel as if I am going backwards!

[Sn...]

Hi to all,

Around the 2 month mark I felt as if I was getting a little better than wan this past week I feel like I did the first  week of WD. Lost my appetite again today just like I did the first week, tremendous muscle spasms in abdomen. Really bad headaches.

Did anyone else have setbacks like this 2.5 months out?

Peace and Blessings

Snufi

Hi. This what I am feeling. I am on my 8th week of xanax and physical symptoms are really bad. Severe chest pains, headache, hard to breath, palpitations. I feel like I never ever in my life felt this way. Been to ER 4 times last couple of weeks. Its insane. I am so stressed and tired from all of this. I don't know if its withdrawals or plain anxiety doing it to my body. But I know that even before meds I never in my life experience any pains beside PMS. I started xanax because my primary thought I had anxiety because I developed cough and was fatigue, not I am totally disabled with all these pains that I never ever felt before in my life.

Maybe people who are off meds longer can write something about their experience with withdrawals and if it is normal to feel so bad after such long time.

Yestarday I was at ER and nurse kept on telling me that its my anxiety and that I need some meds. I told her I was on xanax and just got off and that I never ever before felt this bad. But she told me that people with anxiety do not like to take meds. So it made me think maybe it is anxiety and I do need meds. This is confusing. None of doctors believe that after 2 month I could have withdrawals and its very discouraging. All doctors say its general anxiety you have. I did meet one neurologist from columbia university who did say that I could experience withdrawals for around 6 month because the meds screwed my cns really bad. But this was just one doctor. Recently I saw cardiologist and he said that withdrawals ends after 72 hours, I am like seriously. So if it ends after 72 hours what am I feeling all this 2 months. I definelty was not like this when I went on meds. I don't mind taking something if I know I have just anxiety not withdrawal. Its confusing.

Hi Snufi,

I am 2 months out today.  Four days ago I thought I was turning the corner.  Then since that window, I feel like I am back at the first week of withdrawal.  I am so nauseated and weak.  My stomach seems to be my main symptom.  I also get a migraine almost everyday. I just feel like I have the flu. I am so disappointed.  I guess now I will look forward to the 90 day mark.  I really didn't believe I would have this much trouble on a so called small dose.  It really is like they say, non linear.   

Hope it gets better for you soon.

~Wishing you well,

Mama2

Gemma--the main symptom of w/d boils down to the nervous system dysfunction and the anxiety. They're kind of one and the same. If you didn't have severe anxiety BEFORE going on these meds, then that is what you should gauge by (in my opinion). The other thing I've discovered with medical professionals (and I say this as someone who just got diagnosed with my abdominal injury after a MONTH AND 1/2) is that it's best to just not even mention extreme anxiety or benzo w/d to them if you want any real diagnosis. That may sound irresponsible medically, and probably is, but if you are there for a specific problem they won't look at it unless you ask for them to JUST look at that one symptom/cluster of symptoms. I had a doctor last week ignore what is either a muscle injury or a hernia (which is, I guess by definition an extreme muscle injury) once I brought up the w/d. Told me to keep a symptom diary for a week and come back while insisting I had a psych dx that I was trying to hide (I have none). He has now been reported and negatively reviewed all over the web, but still, you get the point.

Snufi, I had this happen. In my case, I'm pretty sure it was the injury that caused the giant wave of symptoms. My brain couldn't tell the difference between injury and just pushing me into fight or flight, or something. Or it just happened at the same time out of horrible coincidence.

[26...]
Month three seems to be the worst for many buddies. Hang in there...it is quite normal that this is happening, and is a sign of healing. Too bad we can't be put into a medically induced coma for month three and avoid it all together (just kidding of course).  Hold on...it is temporary and avows that you are doing some real healing.

Thanx for all the replies.  Sorry to hear all of you are going thru this too.  Why isn't it that there isn't any tv commercials on the benzos and their side effects.  Sure wish I would have known about the problems with this poison before I started taking it.

It seems like life is just passing me by.  New grandson born and can't even help out because I need help myself.  I just wonder what is going on now with my gaba receptors.  Surely by now some have grown back.  There are days when I don't even feel human but like some alien from outer space.  Humans are suppose to heal.  I could have had the flu 10x over by now and have healed.  More research needs to be done on this drug and its consequences

Peace and Blessings

Snufi

Month three has been the worst for me. You are not having a setback in your healing, just more sx. I had prepared myself before it happened for things getting worse as I had read on here many times of people thinking they were mostly healed and then getting slammed again. Just keep swimming.

I started to backslide for 3 months or so (months 4-6) and then got better from there.  unfortunately, very common in this healing to go back and forth and feel like you are getting worse again, but it always turns around.

Thanx for all the replies.  Sorry to hear all of you are going thru this too.  Why isn't it that there isn't any tv commercials on the benzos and their side effects.  Sure wish I would have known about the problems with this poison before I started taking it.

It seems like life is just passing me by.  New grandson born and can't even help out because I need help myself.  I just wonder what is going on now with my gaba receptors.  Surely by now some have grown back.  There are days when I don't even feel human but like some alien from outer space.  Humans are suppose to heal.  I could have had the flu 10x over by now and have healed.  More research needs to be done on this drug and its consequences

Peace and Blessings

Snufi

I agree. Trouble is, they only advertise things that can make money and these are all (all, right?) generics these days, so they're not huge moneymakers in the first place. But I completely agree. If I have to blog myself silly and start leafleting every doctor's office in town, I'll do whatever it takes to raise more awareness of the potential dangers. It doesn't matter that most people get off of them with no problems if it's a game of Russian Roulette as to who will end up like we have.

Just do what it takes for now to get yourself well. Try every non-drug relaxation method in the book, and do your best to get your nervous system calmed down while you wait for the natural healing process to continue and then complete. I realize we can't calm it down completely or we'd have no symptoms at all, but it helps at least a little.

Hi Antonious. I know what you mean about misdiagnosis. When i was on xanax, every doctor i went to with symptoms brushed it off to anxiety because they saw i was taking xanax. I think i shouldn't have mentioned it on paper work.

Yesterday i went to ER after a huge panic attack due to severe chest pains. While in ER i asked doctor to evaluate my tonsils because they very swollen for like a week and hurt. My WBC was elevated also. But he didn't even wanted to check for bacteria, just said its viral and nothing to be done. Also, i told him i developed an yeast infection and my gyno is out of town for 2 weeks and i cant see her. I took that one day pill for it, but didn't help. I was even bleeding a little. But he didn't want to refer me to be seen by gyno at hospital. He didn't even refer me anywhere for emergency appointment. I am lucky I found an office that could take me tomorrow. All other offices i called I would have to wait for like a week because I am a new patient. I hope nothing serious is going on, but I do feel ill like I have an infection. I just cant believe how irresponsible our health care is sometimes. All they cared was t check for my cardiac enzymes, kept me there for 6 hours and did nothing. I spoke to my cardiologist today and the ekg done at the hospital reads that the leads were connected badly. And they didn't even redo it. He used this inaccurate ekg to evaluate my chest pains. This is insane. And this hospital is considered very good. 

Sorry just wanted to share my experience.

I'm in month three c/t from Xanax and feel pretty bad.  Wake up with every muscle hurting and blaring tinnitus.  For a few hours in the afternoon it relents a LITTLE and then by nighttime, it's back to having the flu again.  I have a few things I commit to do so I can't completely hide out, but have very little energy and always feel like I'm totally faking it.  The symptoms are impossible to ignore or distract from completely. 

I would never have imagined that withdrawal lasted so long.  And most people wouldn't believe it if I told them so I don't broadcast it. 

And apparently it is likely there will be a few more months of this, at least,  Not much to do but accept it.  What else is there?