flu and otc pain meds

[Co...]

I have the flu ( or upper respiratory illness)...took 15 mg of Codiene but font want to take more if I can avoid it....what is the general thought on aspirin ...can I take both aspirin and tylenol alternately for body pain...still holding at. .035 of L..morning only...moderate w/d s/x....Obsid..are you out there?.....thanks for any advice..

I had the flu twice last winter, lucky me.  I took only Tylenol and that seemed to help the fever and the body aches.  Some people have no problem with aspirin, I have just not taken it much as an adult.  Try to drink a lot of fluids, I found tea was the most comforting thing for me.  I also took cough medicine with codeine because I could not sleep at night due to the constant cough, I had no problems with it.

pianogirl

Hi:

I had a very bad flu last month and did initially take some aspirin while tapering lorazepam but the aspirin provided little relief. I researched the subject a bit, spoke with my pharmacist and decided to take 180 mg of the OTC antihistamine fexofenadine (Allegra). It worked really well to reduce the respiratory symptoms while seemingly not interfering with the lorazepam. My concern was initially that anything I would take forthe flu would induce sedation and that this would synergize with the sedative effects of the other drugs I was taking. However, the claim with fexofenadine is that since it does not resdily cross the blood brain barrier it has little to no sedation. After two days of taking it, my respiratory symptoms started clarifing as I was turnign the corner with the flu as a whole, so I stopped taking it. But for the 2 days I did take it, it really provided significant relief.

Thanks so much Laser and Pianogirl...it has been 15 years since I have had significant illness..just another gift from benzo w/d....will definitely try the Allegra...also the homeopathic remedy seems to at least provide immediate relief to sore throat....the good news....the w/d s/x seem no worse....I'll take it....stay well out there...take your C...or whatever you do defensively to ward off winter illness....wishing buddies many windows ...and tons of support in between...coop

[76...]
Cooper: There are lots of OTC flu meds that can help you be comfortable through your flu. Personally, I would try to avoid codeine if possible, but regular pain meds and benadryl flu formulations with added meds in them for muscle aches should be okay. Pick one that covers all your symptoms - stuffy nose, aching, fever, coughing...they come in amazing combinations and should help ease your suffering.

Thanks Obsid...I think the codiene advice is right on track...my w/d headaches had almost completely gone away and have returned with the small amount if codiene I have been taking...if I can tough through benzo taper I can survive an upper respiratory illness....at least when the illness is gone, it's really gone....thanks again Obsid....wishing you wellness and many many windows....cooper