should you have an empty stomac

[...]

I was wondering if I should make sure not to eat before taking my little pill of Valium. I don't see how that little pill could get in my blood stream with food in my stomach.

I was wondering if I should make sure not to eat before taking my little pill of Valium. I don't see how that little pill could get in my blood stream with food in my stomach.

Hi abby,

I have never heard of anyone snorting valium, I'd be afraid of irritating your mucous membranes or something. The drugs have a way of finding where they need to go whether there is food or not. Some specify to take food with them to avoid stomach upset and others do say to take on an empty stomach. Does your prescription printout say to take on any empty stomach?? My klono printout says I can take it with food if it upsets my stomach. My diazepam (valium generic) printout only says do not eat or drink grapefruit juice while taking this medicine.

T2

Hi Abby...

I am sorry I am not familiar with your story :) I will read up after I post.

I would suggest you do NOT take it on an empty stomach. If you are titrating, the benzo's, in my opinion I tend to feel them quicker and a bit stronger when I crush them and mix with milk and the drink..I get a bit more of a "sedated" feeling with this method, as opposed to taking them regularly..This is not the case for everyone, your milage will vary..

But with most meds, I don't think an empty stomach is such a hot idea...it's always good to have food in there! :)

Which ever works best for you though!

And good luck

-Scott

Abby,

I just rad you are snorting them..I went back and read your posts. I am not sure about valium but most benzo's that I know of are NOT water soluble, therefore will not absorb through the mucos membranes. so it is a waste. That is not good for you at all to get all that stuff up there, not to mention the fillers in the pill. Please use them the way your doc perscribed them.

Scott33,

Thanks for the advise. I only snorted the crushed valium a couple of times. Not to get to gross, but when I would blow my nose it was on the tissue. With it being such a small amount any way, I freaked out knowing the valium wasn't getting my blood stream.

I have heard that alcoholics and opiate users would not eat because the food absorbed the drug.  I do not get a 'buzz' with the little 1.25. I sure would like something to relax me.  I remember before the pills, I would lay on the couch watching TV and fall into a deep sleep. I haven't slept like that in many years, thanks to the benzo's.

Hi abby, I understand about wanting something to relax you, but there comes a point where we have to stop relying on the pills to do that as we are trying to come off of them. Have you tried any chamomile tea? I find that relaxes me ...I drink a cup or two a day.

Give it a shot if you have not tried it. Or meditation?