Down to ~50% and feeling strange

[te...]

Hello all,

I've been using the whole milk titration method to taper off my normal .5mg/day dose of Clono.  I've been titrating at a rate of 10% every 14 days-I'm currently at 58% of my normal dosage.  Things have been going relatively well until the last few days.  I feel very groggy and nauseated.  I feel like my head is going to explode and I'm edgy.  I'm unable to concentrate very well. 

Anyway, I'm wondering what I should do. 

1.  Stay at my 58% dosage for a few days

2.  Slow down my taper rate to something like 10% every 21 days

3.  Keep going at my current rate and hope I feel better soon

Thanks for any advise.

Hello all,

I've been using the whole milk titration method to taper off my normal .5mg/day dose of Clono.  I've been titrating at a rate of 10% every 14 days-I'm currently at 58% of my normal dosage.  Things have been going relatively well until the last few days.  I feel very groggy and nauseated.  I feel like my head is going to explode and I'm edgy.  I'm unable to concentrate very well. 

Thanks for any advise.

Hi tekksan,

If you are feeling a little rough, there is no reason you shouldn't hold at your current rate a few days until you are feeling better. Then start again and if you continue to become symptomatic,  you can always adjust schedule to slow it down some. Take care!

T2 :smitten:

Hello all,

Thanks for any advise.

Hello.

I can really relate with how you described that rough patch. I too am titrating and when I do hit a patch like that, I will hold my current dose for a few days. Sometimes even after a few days I still feel not-so-good, and I will begin to titrate back down slowly and I usually always end up feeling better...sometimes it is longer than others.

But I agree, If it were me, I would stay at my dose for say 1,2,3 extra days or so, and see where you are at then :)

Keep us posted.

-Scott

I've held at my level of 58% of my regular dose now for three days.  I still have a nasty headache, but I think I'm going to go down to 57% tonight.  Scott, how long do you hold when you feel "rough"?  I'm wondering if I should wait until I feel completely normal or trudge along with my next % drop and see how I feel. 

I've held at my level of 58% of my regular dose now for three days.  I still have a nasty headache, but I think I'm going to go down to 57% tonight.  Scott, how long do you hold when you feel "rough"?  I'm wondering if I should wait until I feel completely normal or trudge along with my next % drop and see how I feel. 

tekksan -

Scott's been on a bit of a break and I don't know if he will see your question today.  I can answer one part of it:  I don't know if it is possible to feel completely normal while tapering.  It's more a matter of "can I function like this?"

I didn't titrate but when I hit a rough patch dry cutting towards the end, I held for 3 extra days and didn't feel better so I made my next cut.  I didn't end up feeling worse after that cut, either.  Just same old, same old.

Hope that helps.  :)

Since I only take my dose at night, I'm wondering if I split the dose between the night and the AM if that would help me out any.

For example if my dose tonight was 57ml, if I took half of that - 28.5ml tonight and then stored the other 28.5ml in the fridge, wake up tomorrow and then drink it, would that help ease my w/d symptoms any?

Yes, splitting your dose would probably make your taper a bit smoother. Though if you are taking it for insomnia, it's better to keep the full dose (or at least a larger portion) at night. If you do change to twice a day, do it in increments. Switch out a bit from the night dose and add it to the morning dose. Maybe 10 or 20% at a time.

Hmm...I might try that if this headache doesn't go away (it's been with me now for about a week).  But I do have trouble sleeping so maybe I'll hold off...Is a persistent headache common?  If so, does it go away or can I expect to have this for the next several months?

Thanks

Hey tekksan,

I had the most horrible tension headache on my second cut on the klonopin. It last from about day 4 till day 16. My face, upper jaw, temples, teeth, and even ears hurt. I have read some other posts of people who were tapering off klonopin who also complained of this tension headache. I am now on day 4 of my third taper and am not having the headache this time. So, yes, you can pretty much bet that the headache is w/d.

I don't know about you or anyone else, but when I have done a cut, usually days 4-7 are when I get the most w/d s/x. If that is the same for you, then if you wait 3 extra days and are still not feeling  great, but decide to cut, you will stay have an extra about 4 days till more w/d (time for your body to realize that you have cut again) will hit. Does that make sense??

I know that those headaches can be very annoying and it seems like EVERYTHING irritates me when having one! Hope yours goes away soon!

Lori Lee :smitten:

Hi Tekksan,

I am very sorry I did not get to this earlier! Beeper nailed it though. What I do is this: when I hit a rough patch it my titration I will hold for 3,4 and sometimes a 5th day...if it is not resolved by then (most of the times it is) I will begin my cuts again, you just want to be sure not to hold too long. Sometimes once I begin the cuts again, the bad feelings will level out and I will better..I know it's weird but it works that way sometimes.

I know stuff like this can take the wind out of your sails for a little bit, and thats ok!!. Do not beat yourself up and dont feel any pressure. You are doing great, and things like this do happen from time to time, but you WILL get past this!

Please keep us updated.

Thanks for the posts guys.  I put some peppermint oil on my temples and forehead to try and get rid of that nasty headache that I've had for like a week and it seemed to work.  After about 30 minutes, my headache was gone.  Then, about 30 minutes after that, I got really really dizzy.  So dizzy that I stayed home from work today.  I went ahead and reduced my dosage from 58% to 57% and I woke up still dizzy.  I don't think the 1% drop made anything any worse but I'm wondering where this dizziness came from. 

Is that common, to go from headache to dizziness?  My current taper rate is 10% every 14 days.  I'm wondering if I should stretch that out more to help alleviate some of these w/d effects but I don't want it to take forever, you know?

Thanks for the posts guys.  I put some peppermint oil on my temples and forehead to try and get rid of that nasty headache that I've had for like a week and it seemed to work.  After about 30 minutes, my headache was gone.  Then, about 30 minutes after that, I got really really dizzy.  So dizzy that I stayed home from work today.  I went ahead and reduced my dosage from 58% to 57% and I woke up still dizzy.  I don't think the 1% drop made anything any worse but I'm wondering where this dizziness came from. 

Is that common, to go from headache to dizziness?  My current taper rate is 10% every 14 days.  I'm wondering if I should stretch that out more to help alleviate some of these w/d effects but I don't want it to take forever, you know?

Hi tekksan,

Glad to hear your headache has cleared up, I have also had headaches during my taper, some connected with the sinuses. As far as the dizzy spells, there have been many here that have experienced that, some equate it to being on a boat. I have not experienced this particular w/d s/x. As always, you never know what w/d s/x is going to present itself and I'm sure it will go away just like your headache. Unfortunately, I have not heard of anything that can help this w/d s/x. Hang in there!

T2 :smitten:

I don't think the two are related, tekksan.  Some people have a bunch of symptoms at the same time including headaches + dizziness.  If the dizziness continues for too long, you might want to check your blood pressure just to make sure low BP isn't the cause. 

Hope you can manage to enjoy some of your day off work.  ;)

I don't think the two are related, tekksan.  Some people have a bunch of symptoms at the same time including headaches + dizziness.  If the dizziness continues for too long, you might want to check your blood pressure just to make sure low BP isn't the cause. 

Hope you can manage to enjoy some of your day off work.  ;)

Good avice Beeper!

Hi Tek,

sounds like you have gotten some excellent advice. Your taper rate is about average I believe, but there is nothing wrong with slowing down every now and then if you absolutely want/need to...thats one of the good things about titration. But I have a feeling this will pass for you.

Try to hang in there. When things have gotten rough for me, or when I have a lot going on in my life, I wont slow down my entire rate permanently, I will just hold where I am for a few days to let everything kind of catch up and level out..it does help sometimes. If you do hold, you just want to be sure not to hold for too long..

You are doing really good!!! keep up the great work Tek, and this will pass

Tek, I have tried valerian capsules during my taper...they never really did anything for me. Others have had ok results, not so much with helping with WD symptoms, but for sleeping...but like I said for me, didn't do anything. Your milage may vary though. 

if you are having trouble sleeping chamomile tea is good, and it also has a soothing effect for me during the day if I feel a bit panicy..