7 days in hell

[gi...]

Hi all,

Well it's almost the end of day 7 off ativan. It's been hell even with some herbal stuff I am taking. I know I tapered a little fast but had supply problems with md.

A total of about 4 months on .5 mg ativan and all this.

With the short half life it must be about all out of my system.

Should I take milk thistle to clean liver?

Why is this getting worse daily?

Luv to all

Ginny69

HI, Ginny.  :smitten:

I'm glad you came back to post although I surely am sorry you are having bad symptoms.  You have to be careful even with herbal products.  Depending on what they are and how much you are taking, some of them may be making your symptoms worse. 

Seven days isn't a very long time off I'm afraid.  It is natural to expect to feel better when you are off rather than worse but healing from benzos is very uneven.  It's not like mending a broken arm or a cut where you can tell you are getting better every day or so.

If you want to post about specific symptoms that are giving you the most trouble, maybe someone will know of something safe that worked for them.  You will feel better but I can't give you a timetable.  Hang in there.  :thumbsup:

Hi Beeper,

Well my heart pounds out of my chest with little exertion. My fear and anxiety are monumental especially trying to nap or sleep. The herbal has valerian root, ltheanine,passion flower and some vitamins. My face is also numb as are my hands and feet. I am extremely sensitive to sudden noises which spark fear and anxiety.

Feeling unreal also.

Hope this gets better soon as I am 69 and this is ridiculous. Worse than when I quit alcohol and pills 34 years ago.

Some may be my original symptoms from 5 months ago but much worse.

Had no nervous problems until then.

Yes I would like any help I can get.

Luv to all

Ginny69

Ginny,

Milk Thistle is a liver cleanser. This may detox you too fast and rev your symptoms up. Detoxification of any kind is best to avoid this early in your post wd period.

Hi Beeper,

Well my heart pounds out of my chest with little exertion. My fear and anxiety are monumental especially trying to nap or sleep. The herbal has valerian root, ltheanine,passion flower and some vitamins. My face is also numb as are my hands and feet. I am extremely sensitive to sudden noises which spark fear and anxiety.

Feeling unreal also.

ginny - :)

The herbs should be okay.  Many people use valerian for relaxation and sleep.  You might also try chamolille tea to relax.  Sometimes I "brew" it pretty strong, with 2-3 teabags, and I think it does calm me.  I have also used the homeopathic remedy, Calms Forte, from time to time for anxiety.

Many people have trouble taking B vitamins while they are still healing because they make some symptoms rev up.  If you are taking B vitamins, try doing without them for a few days and see if you have a lessening of symptoms.

Fear and anxiety can cause a lot of physical symptoms.  I think finding a way to calm ourselves and not let the anxiety escalate is absolutely essential both during the healing period and when coping with the normal anxieties and fears that show up in our lives.  One of the best books about this is "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes.  People have also used lots of techniques to calm down, including meditation and listening to meditation CDs and belly breathing.  I posted some months ago about the belly breathing here:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=7398.msg81417#msg81417

The extreme sensitivity can cause fear and anxiety but it just a passing symptom; nothing to be afraid of.  One of our members said he could hear grasshoppers in the yard because his hearing was so sensitive.  BTW, his hearing is better now.

I'm not good on calculating the half-life stuff regarding how long the ativan is in your system.  Just know that your body and brain needs to heal from what the ativan did to it and that takes some time.  I have been off 6 weeks and still have some symptoms.  I call this post-benzo period "Phase II" and we all have to go through it. Sorry about that. :(

Hope some of this will get you started.  I know it's hard to put up with all this no matter what age you are but we just have to get through it the best we can.

I also hope you soon notice some of your symptoms lessening and that you get some good, restorative sleep.

Hi Eljay.

Thanks for the info, but shouldn't Ativan be out of my system by now?

Any good tips to quiet this old body down?

Luv

Ginny

Well, yes, mostly, but it's still possible your liver is removing remnants of it. But even if it's totally out of your system by now, detoxifying your liver at this time could still stir things up as other non benzo byproducts from the detox could flood your system and may make you feel not well for a while. It's just better to hold off for bit. 

Hi Beeper,

Thank you. Hope your symptoms are at least better after 6 weeks.

Ginny

Oh, I am MUCH better now.  I'm just saying I'm not yet symptom-free.  I decided at some point it would take as long as it takes, there's not much besides living a healthy life I can do to speed up the healing, so I just accept "what is".  That alone has helped reduce my anxiety.  :thumbsup:

[9b...]

Hi, Ginny,

I am off the Xanax for 17 days.  I still get symptoms but I anticipated this happening.  It is all part of the healing process.  I think the Ashton Manual states that it takes a few weeks for our symptoms to subside a bit.  It might be a good idea to read the withdrawal section.  It will put your mind to rest a bit.  I am getting the head pressure and numbness at this point, too (among other symptoms).  We will be better and happier shortly.  We will hang in there together.

Patty  xo

Hi Patty,

Great job on the taper. I wish I could have tapered more evenly but my md's said just stop and you will only have a day or so of discomfort. He would not give me enough to taper and would not give me valium. The worse thing for me is waking up from night or a nap in great fear and not of anything specific. Can't shut my mind down and get annoying facial numbness when trying to sleep. Been using tart cherry concentrate to sleep only it seems to make numbness worse for a time. I'm not sure.

Ginny

Hi Patty,

Great job on the taper. I wish I could have tapered more evenly but my md's said just stop and you will only have a day or so of discomfort. He would not give me enough to taper and would not give me valium. The worse thing for me is waking up from night or a nap in great fear and not of anything specific. Can't shut my mind down and get annoying facial numbness when trying to sleep. Been using tart cherry concentrate to sleep only it seems to make numbness worse for a time. I'm not sure.

Ginny

Hi ginny69,

I apologize in advance, but your doctor must be an idiot! Though most doctors don't have a clue what we go through trying to get off benzos. I only took klonopin for 8 weeks, and I am still tapering! My doctor said I could get off in 6 weeks. I became so ill, I had to slow my taper way way down and finally feeling okay. After going back to the doctor to complain about my symptoms, she then tells me it can take some a  year to get off these meds. If I were you I would ask the doctor to work with you to establish a slower withdrawal schedule, so you don't have to experience very uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. If you have time, please read The Ashton Manual (link below) and educate yourself before seeing your doctor. Take care!

T2 :smitten:

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha01.htm

Hi,

Doctor says this is not withdrawal but my own symptoms and wanted to put me on Zyprexa saying I was bipolar. Never had a nervous problem until this year. Even his psyc agreed and suggested lithium. These things would finish me.

I am seeing a different doctor monday 9/8 he has a doctorate degree in naturopathy as well as being a regular md.

This has become a very bizzare nightmare. Just moved here last July and everything fine until 08.

ginny

Hi,

Doctor says this is not withdrawal but my own symptoms and wanted to put me on Zyprexa saying I was bipolar. Never had a nervous problem until this year. Even his psyc agreed and suggested lithium. These things would finish me.

I am seeing a different doctor monday 9/8 he has a doctorate degree in naturopathy as well as being a regular md.

This has become a very bizzare nightmare. Just moved here last July and everything fine until 08.

ginny

Ginny,

I hardly think you are bipolar. They tell everyone that when we suffer with withdrawal symptoms and don't know what else to do with you other than to throw drug after drug at you. I am glad you have found another doctor and I wish you success with him!

T2 :smitten:

Hi Ginny it shows up in our blood in believe up to 4 weeks.  If I read right it can store itself in our fat in different areas of our body and can still be releasing itself for awhile.  Again you should read the Ashton manual she talks alot about all of this and it does help calm you when you understand what is going on.  She explains the waves that we will have after we taper.  She can't even say how long all this will last but it appears most of the symptoms are gone or lessened by 6 weeks off.  That is what I am looking at and like Beeper stated and my new life motto "it is what it is" For me there are really no options other than to go forward.  I don't want meds in my life if I can at all help it.  I think most feel that way after their benzo journeys.

Good luck and don't get discouraged.  You will feel better as time goes on and it is Phase II of our journey. 

mal

Hi Ginny,

I'm glad you did so well with your taper. I don't think I would do any cleansings yet. Those take a toll even when you are feeling great. Milk thistle is quite strong. Give yourself a little more time to heal. I don't know why most doc's don't think people go through w/d's. That's just crazy. They are so quick to offer up more pills. Stand strong. you are doing great! Kel

Hi,

Thank you for the advise I will heed it.

Day 8 today am. pretty bad late afternoon better so far.

Thought I would go crazy this morning.

Ginny

Hi,

First day of feeling a little more like me.

Got tired in the afternoon with usual back ache and anxiety.

Was wired in am but better than day before.

Hope tomorrow is better. Today is still day 9.

Could have sworn some ativan got released in my body around noon.

It usually causes the back ache and left side of face numbness.

Eventually this crap will leave my system.

Luv

Ginny69

First day of feeling a little more like me.

I'm so glad to hear it.  And I like the way you automatically said "first day" because you know more are coming.  Good job.  :thumbsup:

Hi Beeper,

Thanks for the support from you and every one.

Do you think I did have some stored release of ativan today or maybe it's been happening and didn't realize it?

ginny69

Do you think I did have some stored release of ativan today or maybe it's been happening and didn't realize it?

ginny69

I really doubt it, ginny.  After 10-20 hours, 1/2 of the ativan is out of your system and you are 10 days from your last dose.  I think it's more likely that it's just withdrawal symptoms.  I think of it as nerves "waking up". I found that I had zaps or pains at different parts of my body at different times.  Others have reported aching, too.  I feel sure it will pass.  :thumbsup:

Hi Ginny,

There is a theory that some peoplestore ativan in there fat cells and therefore in the normal  replenishment of cells,some of the drug is released in  the process.  I did feel this happened for a while with me.  Read my blog - I came off ativan after 8 months over 3 weeks.  I was also on lots of trycyclic meds over that 8months and I think thats made things worse forme than it would have been.  I seem very sensitive and was shocking on ativan.  First couple of months were worst for me - just hang in there.  Ive found any supplement or herb Ive tried made things worse except valerian.  I used this in small doses to sleep for first 8 months of withdrawl and worked very well.  After that I read it can act mildly on same receptors as benzos so weaned off it using drops over 6 weeks.  Found by then that sleep was settled anyway most of the time.  Now use chamomile tea when anxious and double teabag for nighttime.  Stay away from any detox right now - youll only make yourself too sick.

Hope all this helps a bit - hang in there.  Find strength from within and keep fighting.  Yoiull get there

love  :smitten:spring

Hi Spring,

Thanks for the advise.

Hope tomorrow shows a little more improvement and that the worse is over.

I know there will be rough days as there were when I stopped drinking years ago.

As we used to say we now have to clear up.

Hang in there too. We'll all get through this.

ginny69

Hey Ginny this is from the ashton manual and it helped me understand more of what could be going on.  Hope it helps!

Like many other issues concerning benzodiazepines, the answers to these questions are still unclear. Benzodiazepine concentrations in the blood have been measured and shown to reach undetectable levels in 3-4 weeks after cessation of use in people withdrawn from clinical doses. Information on benzodiazepine concentrations in the brain and other tissues is difficult to obtain, especially in humans. Benzodiazepines certainly enter the brain and also dissolve in all fatty (lipid-containing) tissues including fat deposits all over the body. It is possible that they linger in such tissues for some time after blood levels have become undetectable. However, most body tissues are in equilibrium with the blood that constantly perfuses them, and there is no known mechanism whereby benzodiazepines could be "locked up" in tissues such as the brain. There is no data on how long benzodiazepines remain in bones, which have a lower fat content but also a slower rate of cell turnover.

Hang in there it will get better.  We are healing.

mal