Can valium cause random diarrhea?

[mr...]

My mom had her gallbladder removed years ago and has always had softer stools, but ever since she started on the valium, she has had random boughts of diarrhea.

Her bp is 105/60 and temperature is 97.2 F, so no infection.

She also, has boughts of high bp around 150/90 when her normal bp was always 120/70.

Is diarrhea a side effect of valium?

[e5...]

According to the side effect database Valium can cause nausea and constipation. If your mom is having diarrhea it may well be from some other cause. You should check her other meds. Also something in her diet may be bothering her.

My mom is having a similar problem. She too has no gallbladder. She recently finished a course of Keflex and a few days after had horrible lingering GI upset that started out as upper GI bloating, pain, nausea and reflux, and now has become diarrhea. Be sure to keep her hydrated while you search for the cause. If persistent, you might want to talk to a doctor to see if Immodium is warranted and safe. If it is intermittent diarrhea, then usually Immodium is not recommended.

Although the database says Valium causes constipation, that does not mean that w/d cannot cause diarrhea. Complex set of variables.

I make my mom's food from organic high quality foods and she doesn't have a temperature, so it can't be infection.

My mom is not using any meds except inhalers and valium.

I did find this online that valium can cause diarrhea.

"Side Effects:  When used properly, Valium does not produce the same effects as it does during the addict’s comedown. There are side effects with proper use, but these are temporary and should go away after a few standard doses. Side effects differ from short-term effects in that the side effects come from normal medicinal use. Meanwhile, short-term effects are the early symptoms of drug abuse in the body.

Some of the most common side effects of Valium use are drowsiness, diarrhea, dry mouth, nausea and appetite changes. Severe side effects include restlessness, trouble urinating, blurred vision and constipation. Doctors typically will stop prescribing the drug when these symptoms arise. Valium patients are all closely monitored to ensure that nothing goes wrong with their treatment. Doctors can usually spot the early signs of abuse and curtail it before addiction becomes a problem."

http://drugabuse.com/library/the-effects-of-valium-use/

[e5...]

It looks like you found your answer. I guess then just maintain her hydration. Like I said earlier, if the diarrhea is constant and persistent, dehydration and electrolyte loss are possible especially in the young and the elderly. There is Gastrolyte - electrolytes mixed into juice or water to replace what she is losing. Don't use Gatorade for this as it was designed for athletic sweating type sodium loss and is not recommended for medical electrolyte loss.

If she becomes weak, fainting, or starts getting a new irregular heart beat, then she needs to be seen by a doctor. If the diarrhea does not let up, then she needs to see a doctor. Potassium loss from protracted diarrhea in the elderly can be serious, signaled by the symptoms I listed above. If you want to stop the diarrhea, please consult her doctor by phone before administering anything like  Immodium. Based on her medical issues, he may not recommend it.

My father had a bowel condition that caused constant diarrhea. Constant. He was in hospital twice a week for IVs and potassium replacement. I took care of him for a year and a half, so I have some experience with this. The doctors never allowed him Gatorade, but did allow Gastrolyte for the reasons I cited. In his situation Immodium was not recommended. Your mom's situation is different, so her doctor may allow it if you think she needs it and if you ask permission first.

I hope she feels better soon.

I use cream of tar tar, baking soda and epsom salts in her waters and she drinks plenty of water.

I give her kefir and the diarrhea goes away, but I just wanted to know if others have this issue.

[e5...]
I have read reports of people in acute withdrawal getting into embarrassing sudden diarrhea situations while out shopping, but this was after they stopped taking their benzos.  Most of the posts here that I have read relate constipation as an issue with Valium. Having said that, it seems that these drugs and w/d can cause just about any side effect ever imagined and then some, so nothing surprises me anymore.

When she first withdrew from lorazepam, she had alot of constipation.

She only had some constipation issues at the very beginning of her taper.