Short Term Ativan Use... Need Tapering Help

[Li...]

LittleViolet (like your violet avatar  :))

If you would feel more comfortable holding at.125mg a little while longer, that's certainly okay.  Or you could cut just .0625 by crushing the .125 piece, mixing it in some milk, stir it well and drink half of it a day and continue that way a week or more.

There's no good answer about how to know if you're ready to cut, whether to .0625 or -0-.  Since you see.  med to have an adverse reaction to ativan, you could be one of the few who actually feel better not taking it at all.  If you drop the .125mg and the symptoms do become unbearable, you can reinstate that dose and try the slower method.  It's kind of trial and error.

You are soooo close.  Good job!  :thumbsup:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Li...]

• [Be...]

• [Th...]

• [Co...]

Yeah, I do think it's probably best for me to get off ASAP so my muscles can heal.  So today's my last day.  Right now, rather jittery and muscle spasms galore!  Going to be a tough day, I have a feeling.

Is there anything I can do to help with the muscle spasms?  Supplements?  I assume they'll decrease as the meds get out of my system.  Oh, and how long does it take for Ativan to be completely out?  I think I read somewhere 5 days?

Hi LV,

I have not experienced muscle spasms, but do have muscle and joint pain. The following article is from The Ashton Manual regarding muscles......

Muscle symptoms Benzodiazepines are efficient muscle relaxants and are used clinically for spastic conditions ranging from spinal cord disease or injury to the excruciating muscle spasms of tetanus or rabies. It is therefore not surprising that their discontinuation after long-term use is associated with a rebound increase in muscle tension. This rebound accounts for many of the symptoms observed in benzodiazepine withdrawal. Muscle stiffness affecting the limbs, back, neck and jaw are commonly reported, and the constant muscle tension probably accounts for the muscle pains which have a similar distribution. Headaches are usually of the "tension headache" type, due to contraction of muscles at the back of the neck, scalp and forehead - often described as a "tight band around the head". Pain in the jaw and teeth is probably due to involuntary jaw clenching, which often occurs unconsciously during sleep.

At the same time, the nerves to the muscles are hyperexcitable, leading to tremor, tics, jerks, spasm and twitching, and jumping at the smallest stimulus. All this constant activity contributes to a feeling of fatigue and weakness ("jelly-legs"). In addition, the muscles, especially the small muscles of the eye, are not well co-ordinated, which may lead to blurred or double vision or even eyelid spasms (blepharospasm).

None of these symptoms is harmful, and they need not be a cause of worry once they are understood. The muscle pain and stiffness is actually little different from what is regarded as normal after an unaccustomed bout of exercise, and would be positively expected, even by a well-trained athlete, after running a marathon.

There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practised regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone - which will eventually occur spontaneously.

And the following is an article relating to how long it takes benzos to leave the body, again from The Ashton Manual........

How long do benzodiazepines stay in the body after withdrawal? This question is often asked by people with long-term symptoms. Is it possible that one cause of protracted symptoms is that benzodiazepines remain in the body even after months, lurking perhaps deep in such tissues as brain and bones? Could slow elimination from these sites keep the withdrawal symptoms going?

Like many other issues concerning benzodiazepines, the answers to these questions are still unclear. Benzodiazepine concentrations in the blood have been measured and shown to reach undetectable levels in 3-4 weeks after cessation of use in people withdrawn from clinical doses. Information on benzodiazepine concentrations in the brain and other tissues is difficult to obtain, especially in humans. Benzodiazepines certainly enter the brain and also dissolve in all fatty (lipid-containing) tissues including fat deposits all over the body. It is possible that they linger in such tissues for some time after blood levels have become undetectable. However, most body tissues are in equilibrium with the blood that constantly perfuses them, and there is no known mechanism whereby benzodiazepines could be "locked up" in tissues such as the brain. There is no data on how long benzodiazepines remain in bones, which have a lower fat content but also a slower rate of cell turnover.

Nevertheless, the concentration of benzodiazepines remaining in body tissues after withdrawal must be very low, otherwise the drugs would leak back into the blood in discernible amounts. It is difficult to imagine that such concentrations would be sufficient to produce clinical effects or that any direct effects could last for months or years. However, it is not inconceivable that even low concentrations might be enough to prevent the return of GABA/benzodiazepine receptors in the brain to their pre-benzodiazepine state. If so, the receptors would continue to be resistant to the natural calming actions of GABA (See Chapter I), and the effect could be to prolong the state of nervous system hyperexcitability. Possible factors contributing to protracted symptoms are outlined in Table 4.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!!

Take care!

T2 :smitten:

Thanks Theresa, that helps.  I forgot to mention that I'm also unfortunately taking my last birth control pill of the month today too.  So PMS symptoms and withdrawal symptoms together are probably not going to be fun.  Hopefully after this next week passes I'll start feeling much better.

Thanks Theresa, that helps.  I forgot to mention that I'm also unfortunately taking my last birth control pill of the month today too.  So PMS symptoms and withdrawal symptoms together are probably not going to be fun.  Hopefully after this next week passes I'll start feeling much better.

Hi LV,

Just keep in touch and let us know how you are doing, we'll be here!!

Is there anything I can do to help with the muscle spasms?  Supplements? 

I've had some success with a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement.  Also, bathing in epsom salts is supposed to help.  I think our Senior Moderator (who is on vacation) puts other stuff in the bath as well; hydrogen pyroxide is one but I don't remember how much.  Maybe someone else will know. 

Thanks Beeper, for the advice.  One more question!

I'm supposed to be taking my last .125 dose here in about 45 minutes.  I'm still kind of jittery, my muscles aren't great (but better than a couple hours ago), and my heart is beating a little fast, but not as bad as yesterday.  Would it be all right to skip this last dose?  I'm feeling like I can handle this, assuming it doesn't get terribly worse.  But I took my first dose at like 7:15 this morning, so it's effect should be long gone, yes?  Unless there's a good reason, seems silly to take more that will just "reset" this. No?

ohh muscle spasms!! uuugh

I second what Beeper suggested. I also use a MAgnesium supplement. It took a few days for me to notice a difference.

I'm reading the bottle now , it the nature made brand, other brands are just as good if not better... 250mg

Took one a day and it settled them down a lot!

I had bad calf cramps along with the muscle spasms and take a potasium supplement for that. which seemed to work very well

Littleviolet.  :)

I'm a little unclear about that "last" dose.  Are you ready to drop that dose as part of your taper?  I've lost track of how long you have been at .125mg 2x/day. If it's been at least a week and you feel you can handle the symptoms, go ahead and drop it.  I dropped my evening dose last because of sleeping difficulties but you have been having a bit of a paradoxical effect it seems so I can surely understand why you want to get on with it.  

I've been doing this a little more fast since I was only on Ativan, before tapering, for two weeks.  I took .25/.25 a day for about half that time, the other half .5/.5.

Did three days of .5/.25, three days of .25/.25, and now on my third day of .125/.125.  This was as doctor suggested.  Too fast?  I was just thinking about skipping my last .125, but maybe that's a bad idea.

*edit* If I do that, will I feel really really bad come another 12-18 hours from now?  I'm a little scared, did I do this too rapidly?

LV -

If your pills aren't making you sick, I would wait at least a few more days.  It could be that the effects of those rapid cuts haven't caught up to you yet.  Most likely you wouldn't have a problem because of being on them only 2 weeks, but why take the chance if you can tolerate them.  Why don't you stay a week at current .125 mg 2x/day and see how you feel then?

Well, that's the thing, Ativan seems to work too quickly on me (or something).  I get a little bit of relief, but for the most part, even when I take it I feel withdrawal symptoms. 

Maybe it is because I don't take it at night?  Don't know, but from the first day, when I shouldn't even have a dependency, I was getting tingles at .25/.25. The muscle problems came when it was bumped to .5/.5 a day.  These issues would sometimes get better when the Ativan was in my system, but never went totally away.

I'm hoping the sooner the Ativan gets out of my system, the better.  But reading on here you guys support a longer taper, and I'm not sure if I want to keep taking it for a week if the withdrawal symptoms persist, yet I'm scared of what will happen when I stop.

I'm hoping the sooner the Ativan gets out of my system, the better.  But reading on here you guys support a longer taper, and I'm not sure if I want to keep taking it for a week if the withdrawal symptoms persist, yet I'm scared of what will happen when I stop.

There really is no reason to be scared, LV.  :therethere:  Most people have been on their benzo much longer than you have.  And most people do not develop a dependency and have to taper after such a low dose, short-term usage.  If it doesn't cause you more problems taking it, then, sure, take it a bit slower here at the end "just in case".  But I really believe you will be fine getting completely off of it during the week if you want to give it a go.  Who knows, you could start feeling better when you are off it; I know I did, and I was on it nearly 20 years!  :idiot:

Well, I went ahead and took the last .125, just in case, as that's what the doc said to do so I'll stick to it.

Then tomorrow I'll go without and see what happens.  It's a little scary as it's the weekend and can't easily talk to a doc, but I hope everything will be okay.  I just feel bad on and off this darn drug, and ready to start feeling better!

Well, I went ahead and took the last .125, just in case, as that's what the doc said to do so I'll stick to it.

Then tomorrow I'll go without and see what happens.  It's a little scary as it's the weekend and can't easily talk to a doc, but I hope everything will be okay.  I just feel bad on and off this darn drug, and ready to start feeling better!

Sounds like a plan.  Afterall, dropping your morning dose doesn't mean you have to drop the evening dose on the same day.  Your body will be your guide and someone is always here on the weekend, too. Do you have any plans for the weekend that will help keep your mind off of how you feel?  Sometimes a good distraction can work wonders!  ;)

But how do I know if I should pick up a dose?  I mean, I generally feel withdrawal effects 24/7 right now, some times worse than others. Was also worried about my cuts on the pills... I'm sure they weren't completely accurate .125s.  Maybe that's making things worse.

Nephew's one-year-old birthday party tomorrow - that should serve as a distraction!

Quick update... first day off Ativan completely.  Took my last .125 at about 4:00 yesterday afternoon.

Today I do have more joint pain and muscle stiffness - it's hard to get around.  I need to take a shower, and am hoping to feel strong enough to stand up for it at the moment.  Had some heart palpitations, but worked through them and my heart feels better.  That's pretty much it so far, just hope the muscle/joint problem starts to ease soon.

Quick update... first day off Ativan completely.  Took my last .125 at about 4:00 yesterday afternoon.

Today I do have more joint pain and muscle stiffness - it's hard to get around.  I need to take a shower, and am hoping to feel strong enough to stand up for it at the moment.  Had some heart palpitations, but worked through them and my heart feels better.  That's pretty much it so far, just hope the muscle/joint problem starts to ease soon.

Hi LV,

Thanks for checking in. It sounds like you doing okay, despite your achiness and palps. This will get better. Hang in there, you are doing great!!

Hiya Violet  ;)

Congrats on your last dose.  Just hang tough the next couple of days and things should start to improve.  I had the heart palps after I quit and they were gone in a couple of days.  I haven't had any in over a week. 

The hardest part is over, now let the healing process begin.  Cheers and holler if you need anything!

Keith

Thanks all... but I'm not doing so hot at the moment.

I'm having muscle spasms pretty much head to toe and my joints pop and creak more than ever.  Also having some tingles and twitches. I can't get comfortable at all, can't walk well.  I realize this is withdrawal, but I can't help but worry.  Holding it together, though.

Please tell me I'll start to improve soon?

On a side note, is it okay to take Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium during this time?

Thanks all... but I'm not doing so hot at the moment.

I'm having muscle spasms pretty much head to toe and my joints pop and creak more than ever.  Also having some tingles and twitches. I can't get comfortable at all, can't walk well.   I realize this is withdrawal, but I can't help but worry.  Holding it together, though.

Please tell me I'll start to improve soon?

On a side note, is it okay to take Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium during this time?

Hi LV,

Sorry you are hurting. I used Advil for my headaches, some us tylenol ocassionally. Hang in there, things will get better!

Thanks Theresa.  I've been doing some reading online (which probably wasn't the best idea), and it seems others have withdrawal symptoms for quite some time, particularly with fast tapers or cold turkey.  I'm thinking maybe I tapered too fast, but when you feel bad on and off the drug, what else could I do.

I am worried this is going to be a terribly long process, and that I could experience other even worse withdrawal symptoms soon.  What's the chances of extreme things like seizure?  With my body spasming and jerking like it is, I wonder how easy it could be to jump to that when my body really wants the drug after another couple of days. I know, don't invite trouble!

Does it get easier from here, or more difficult as the body craves the drug more as it's gets completely gone?  I just want to be prepared.

Thanks Theresa.  I've been doing some reading online (which probably wasn't the best idea), and it seems others have withdrawal symptoms for quite some time, particularly with fast tapers or cold turkey.  I'm thinking maybe I tapered too fast, but when you feel bad on and off the drug, what else could I do.

I am worried this is going to be a terribly long process, and that I could experience other even worse withdrawal symptoms soon.  What's the chances of extreme things like seizure?  With my body spasming and jerking like it is, I wonder how easy it could be to jump to that when my body really wants the drug after another couple of days. I know, don't invite trouble!

Does it get easier from here, or more difficult as the body craves the drug more as it's gets completely gone?  I just want to be prepared.

Hi LV,

Since you were only on it for 2 weeks, I don't really expect your w/d s/x would last too long. As far as seizures, you did taper off of it, even if it might have been a little quick, so I would not worry about that. I have read that many people feel better once they are totally off their meds but have ocassional flare ups, but again you were only on it for two weeks so I couldn't say for sure what you will experience. Just keep us updated, okay?

It just makes me worry, since I seem to be maybe a little bit of a unique case, having withdrawal type symptoms the first day I took it.  I'm a really petite gal who's trying to gain weight at the moment too, and with my body in such a weakened state I just wonder what could happen.

I wonder if I should be driving, even, in case something happens over the next few days.  And maybe I shouldn't be alone? 

It just makes me worry, since I seem to be maybe a little bit of a unique case, having withdrawal type symptoms the first day I took it.  I'm a really petite gal who's trying to gain weight at the moment too, and with my body in such a weakened state I just wonder what could happen.

I wonder if I should be driving, even, in case something happens over the next few days.  And maybe I shouldn't be alone? 

LV  :therethere:

It is understandable that you would be worried about what might happen in the future given your history with the ativan.  The challenge for you now is keeping your fear from making things worse.  Feelings of fear do change body chemistry which in turn can cause more anxiety and some physical symptoms, like numbness, tingling, and twitching.  You seem to have become very sensitized to the ativan but it should be out of your system within 10 days.  So, at the latest, you should be much better by then.

As to the driving, if you don't have to drive you may not want to push that right now.  Even worrying about what will happen when you drive can create symptoms that in turn increase fear and anxiety.  Likewise, if you have someone who can stay with you for a day or so or someone you can stay with, it would probably ease your mind which in turn will decrease symptoms.  I firmly believe that you have no chance of having a seizure due to your taper but, as I said, you do seem to have been very sensitive to the ativan.

I hope you will try some techniques to relax and calm yourself which will aid in your healing.  If you would like a link to a body scan meditation, just ask.  Also, mild exercise like walking would also be helpful.

You will get better.  I fully expect you to be posting here later this week about how much better you feel.  :thumbsup: