Cognitive function after 3 months clean...

[ja...]

I have 3 months clean from drugs and benzos, klonopin, in particular.  I posted last month, and as some of you may already know, I am an opiate addict as well.  I'm not going to lie, it is tough.  I am part of the small percentage of people that have ongoing cognitive problems after quitting benzos.  I still have tinnitus, cognitive impairment, sleeping problems, headaches, and anxiety.  All symptoms are getting better except the cognitive impairment.  I am a computer network analyst, so I need all of the concentration and brain power that I can get.  I am having a very hard time remembering things. If I were to read a document, and then asked to tell you what it was about, you can forget it.  I don't like going to eat with co-workers or hanging out with friends anymore, because I can't think of anything to say and just end up staring out the window.  I stare out the window because I don't want to stare at someone's face when my brain is flat-lined.  I've read in a few different places that this cognitive impairment is permanent.  I used to be a very creative and abstract thinker, but not today.  Can somebody please give me an recommendations on how to help cognitive function post-benzo. 

James,

If you go to "profile" and then to "forum profile" and add information to your signature block, listing the benzo(s) you were on, how much and how long, and how you came off, that will give us some insight into what issues you may be facing.

While there are really no hard and fast, specific "rules" regarding withdrawal and recovery, there are some broad guidelines and knowing your history would be of us in addressing that.

Thanks!

I read in Ashton Manual that none of our symptoms are permanent.  Why would cognitive impairment be a separate s/x?  I am asking because I have it too...in fact, most of us do to varying degrees.  I really feel for you; this sounds very very frustrating, especially the social part causing you to retreat, which most of us can also relate to.  I exile myself in general because I feel crappy and am so irritable I don't trust myself to be nice.  And I don't want to always explain myself and what I'm gong though....for a lot if obvious reasons.  Where did you read that?

James--I was taken off opiates and benzos (and loads of other stuff) 3 years ago, and it took months to get cognitive function back. I thought I had EXTREMELY early onset Alzheimer's for a while towards the end of it. It just stopped after a while. I had several seizures at the outset (of the basically cold turkey), and I thought that had contributed heavily, and it may have. However, people's symptoms here from just a benzo are essentially the same. I would forget where I had put things down, anything, like my water bottle, keys, anything. There was no retracing steps to find it either, there were no steps to retrace. Procedural memory was utterly gone. Anything that took steps to complete, no go. Gone. It came back. It's extremely unnerving in the workplace, though, I completely sympathize. Mine came back though, and isn't even too bad at the moment despite re-withdrawal.

I didn't have it back at 3 months, though. More like 6.

Hey man

Your cognitive impairment will heal with time. A good diet, plenty of rest and exercise if you are able will help the healing process. I've heard that certain brain exercises like what is on lumosity and similar things can help but I never tried them.

Bart

Cool, Bart. Also, James, calming the brain down helps ENORMOUSLY. Sometimes the lack of function is almost entirely due to, or in many cases just made worse by, frantic thoughts. No one can remember much in that state of anxiety. Calm it all the way down and see what happens. I find meditating very helpful for that (well duh, that is rather the point...).

Got of the opiates and benzos starting on April 1st for the opiates, jumped from the xanax Aug.9th.(see profile)

Still having a lot of trouble with the thought processes, but it is SO much better than it was just a month ago. :thumbsup:

I was a Senior Software Engineer at Motorola. No way I could do it right now, but hope to start programming again soon. I have a lot to catch up on, but it should be fun!

Keep the Faith!

I want to thank all of you for the support and advice.  Everyday at work is a struggle but it is getting better.  I have to accept my situation every morning, and remind myself that as long as I do my job to the best of my ability then that is all I can do.  I am staying active in my recovery program, trying to eat right, and getting good rest.  I am almost 30, so it is time to start acting like a grown man, instead of a freshman in college.  There are times now that I actually smile and laugh, it's rare, but atleast it is happening.  I know when it is time to kick the suboxone, I will have to go through another detox, but will cross that bridge when I get there. I recommend anyone who is trying to kick both opiates and benzos at the same time to consider suboxone.  I tried quitting both with tapers back in 2009, and the symptoms were so bad that I wanted to kill myself for months on end.  The cravings for both were UNREAL. I unfortunately have experience with many drugs, so feel free to message me any questions.  Thanks again.