Had an appointment with a benzo wise anesthesiologist for the next surgery!

[Ju...]

I had an urgent surgery on sept 18 and didnt discuss the benzo issue with them ( bad mistake),so on the 5th day after the surgery i ended up in severe acute withdrawal,i would say it was much worse then after i jumped off benzo.I even thought to reinstate benzos so bad it was.

So this time,i am having a planned surgery this thursday and today i had an appointment with a very nice anesthesiologist who knew what i was talking about! I was surprised,because i was thinking how to explain it to him,what to expect,how to say it...etc....But he simply said "you should have told them,because it can be done without benzos".Then he actually wrote everywhere that i am "sensitive to Midazolam and Valium".These 2 they give IV.And told me to tell the anesthesiologist that will be doing it for me to find him and he will talk to them and "explain my situation".

Wow,i am so glad i talked to him,i feel so much relieved.I am still sensitive to drugs,but at least i wont be doing this "Cold Turkey" experience again. :-[

I recently had an Endoscopy and told the anesthesiologist about my recovery and asked him not to give me anything that would cause issues or withdrawal. Honestly he gave me this blank stare. One hour after the procedure  I started having brain zaps. I could not sleep for two day due to those and hypnic jerks. I found out they game me Propofol which works directly on the same receptors as benzos. I was so angry! I called my Doctor and they basically said, "That is a very rare side effect and it sounds like you are just having panic attacks." They just don't get it. I am glad you found someone that understands. If I have to have another procedure I plan on saying I am allergic to Propofol (A very common drug now) as well as benzos.  :thumbsup:

Hi abirdonawire,

I am sorry.For how long it lasted for you?

I got Propofol when i was 2 months off,had a little increase in symptoms a day after,then back to baseline,so it was nothing,i got it together with Versed.

That is why i wasn't careful enough about my first surgery,but the withdrawals were severe and lasted a week.

I think i will be getting Propofol for my upcoming surgery but without benzos,its not a benzo,even tho it acts on same receptors so even if it increases symptoms for a short time its nothing like symptoms i had after the first surgery in sept.

Or I really hope so,we are so sensitive to everything,so you never know.Ashton says Propofol is well tolerated,but i guess not by everyone.

I had an urgent surgery on sept 18 and didnt discuss the benzo issue with them ( bad mistake),so on the 5th day after the surgery i ended up in severe acute withdrawal,i would say it was much worse then after i jumped off benzo.I even thought to reinstate benzos so bad it was.

So this time,i am having a planned surgery this thursday and today i had an appointment with a very nice anesthesiologist who knew what i was talking about! I was surprised,because i was thinking how to explain it to him,what to expect,how to say it...etc....But he simply said "you should have told them,because it can be done without benzos".Then he actually wrote everywhere that i am "sensitive to Midazolam and Valium".These 2 they give IV.And told me to tell the anesthesiologist that will be doing it for me to find him and he will talk to them and "explain my situation".

Wow,i am so glad i talked to him,i feel so much relieved.I am still sensitive to drugs,but at least i wont be doing this "Cold Turkey" experience again. :-[

I had surgery 10 days ago. I made it very clear and had it put in my chart no benzos. I had a meeting with the anesthesiologist before he put me under and he confiremed no benzos in my cocktail. By the fifth day after surgery my physical sx were very bad again. Yesterday they started to calm down a little. I've read that other BBs have had sx get bad for about a week to 10 days after surgery.After that they return to pre surgery condition.

Hello I had hip replacement surgery on September 25 they gave me propofol which seemed okay but the bad thing was for 10 days after the operation they gave me Hydro morphine which really really messed me up. I did notice when I woke up in the recovery room of the operation and of all the people in the room was probably about 15 I was only one shaking violently and had big body tremors I guess the propofol still affects her central nervous system knocking you out when you wake back up your body makes up for it by tremors I look like a piece of bacon in a frying pan and everyone was staring at me the whole room. So I would say to anyone out there have an operation be very careful about taking hydro-morphine after your operation... When I stopped taking the Hydro morphine 10 days after my surgery I went into withdrawing about five hours I phone the drug rehab center in the states and the coordinator on the phone said some people can get addicted very very fast specific going to benzo withdrawal is just like being on heroin for 10 days crazy eh!!! It's been a month since I've had my surgery and I'm still trying to stabilize again I felt great before my surgery and now I'm still shaking and have a huge body tremors every morning when I wake up just be careful ask all the questions and get all the right answers before any surgery that's my opinion thank you,

Mr scared in Ottawa Canada

I was also shaking violently after my first surgery! I kept asking me why is that and if i am the only who has it,and they kept telling me,everyone has it at SOME degree.I had it 10/10! For few minutes then it went away.Well i guess i need to stop,because i am scared to have it again  :)The good thing it will be over and no more of it,so that i will be concentrated on my recovery.

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]