Titration schedule

[ho...]

Sorry, I couldn't find how to post a request but I see how it's done now.

Please help me. I am taking 3/8 mg. of clonazepam. It's the only medication I'm on right now. I have a pill crusher, a 100 ml bottle marked off in 10 ml. increments. I have a syringe which can draw 1,2,or3 mg. at a time. I started titration last night. I crushed a .5 mg. of clonaepam and added water to the pill crusher. I poured that into the bottle and added water to the 100 ml. line. I withdrew 25 mg. of this fluid (equivalent to 1/8 mg.). I then added some water to 100 ml. mark,as I'd like to go slowly and take 100 days to withdraw. I removed 1 ml. of this and drank the rest making sure I took it all, I put more water in the bottle to get all the clinging grandules and drank it. I had a terrible night. 2 1/2 hrs. sleep and then 1 1/2 hr light sleep, after which I couldn't sleep. Perhaps you can help me with some diluting ideas. tks so much!!!!!!!!!

Hi Hope,

Well, I'm not the titration expert, but it sounds like what you are doing should be ok. Colin will comment a bit later. He can work up a schedule for you if you like.

Water isn't the ideal mixer, as the benzo tends to quickly float to the bottom. Many people do successfully titrate with it, but it's really important mix it very well, and to separate out your dose while the water is still in motion.

The reason milk or soy milk works better is because the benzo particles, which don't dissolve, will cling to the fat in the milk and stay more evenly distributed. It still has to be mixed well, but it tends to act as more of a suspension than water.

What has your current dose been before you started this last night? 0.375mg (three quarters of a 0.5mg)?

Hi Hope,

You can successfully titrate with your 100ml bottle (there is no need to use the syringe). Assuming you have 0.5mg tablets, the 10ml increments on your bottle will, effectively, allow you to split your tablet into 10 parts. In all probability, you could eyeball 5ml increments, allowing you to split you tablet into 20 parts - this is sufficient, as a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is overkill if you have the 0.5mg tablets. Once you have determined (with our help) a reasonable taper rate for you, I will post a tailormade schedule for you.

Hi Hope,

Well, I'm not the titration expert, but it sounds like what you are doing should be ok. Colin will comment a bit later. He can work up a schedule for you if you like.

Water isn't the ideal mixer, as the benzo tends to quickly float to the bottom. Many people do successfully titrate with it, but it's really important mix it very well, and to separate out your dose while the water is still in motion.

The reason milk or soy milk works better is because the benzo particles, which don't dissolve, will cling to the fat in the milk and stay more evenly distributed. It still has to be mixed well, but it tends to act as more of a suspension than water.

What has your current dose been before you started this last night? 0.375mg (three quarters of a 0.5mg)?

Yes, 3/8 of a mg.... I didn't use milk as in the past milk seemed to "coat" my stomach and caused meds not to be absorbed properly. I can see why milk would be better as a suspention agent. I'll give it a try this evening.

Colin: Edit - fixed quote box.