You can sucessfully withdraw

[lo...]

I was on Klonopin for many years for Restless Legs. I consistently upped my dosage and my doctor was kind enough to do this for me. I was taking maybe 6-8 pills a night to sleep. In addition I was taking sleeping pills.

I believe I came close to overdozing one night, but had no idea what was happening so just kept taking my pills. I got lucky.

Then, it caught up with me.Since I was taking so many, and sometime even more, I would run out of my prescription early. Usually I could figure out a way to fill it early, but finally my doctor wouldn't do it and I stopped taking them cold turkey.

By the third night I was sick. I could not move, I felt like I was dying, literally. I had hallucinations at night, hearing music and bells and voices. I had the disorientation, severe muscle tremors, etc. I ended up in the emergency room where thankfully I told them I thought it was withdrawl. They put me on I believe Clorazepam and told me to wean myself. For 6 months to a year I was not right. I had every symoptom of withdrawl you could have. Thankfully, I did wean myself, it was very hard, and two years later, I am doing fine. I thought the symptoms would never go away, such as the weakness and muscle tremors, but they did.  And now all I take is Melatonin to sleep at night, which I thought would never be possible either....

So to anyone who thinks it will never get better.....it will.

I was on Klonopin for many years for Restless Legs. I consistently upped my dosage and my doctor was kind enough to do this for me. I was taking maybe 6-8 pills a night to sleep. In addition I was taking sleeping pills.

I believe I came close to overdozing one night, but had no idea what was happening so just kept taking my pills. I got lucky.

Then, it caught up with me.Since I was taking so many, and sometime even more, I would run out of my prescription early. Usually I could figure out a way to fill it early, but finally my doctor wouldn't do it and I stopped taking them cold turkey.

By the third night I was sick. I could not move, I felt like I was dying, literally. I had hallucinations at night, hearing music and bells and voices. I had the disorientation, severe muscle tremors, etc. I ended up in the emergency room where thankfully I told them I thought it was withdrawl. They put me on I believe Clorazepam and told me to wean myself. For 6 months to a year I was not right. I had every symoptom of withdrawl you could have. Thankfully, I did wean myself, it was very hard, and two years later, I am doing fine. I thought the symptoms would never go away, such as the weakness and muscle tremors, but they did.  And now all I take is Melatonin to sleep at night, which I thought would never be possible either....

Hi Lori,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! Thank you so much for posting your story. It will bring hope to many here that are still suffering from w/d and those who are already benzo free and having protracted w/d s/x. This is such an inspiration. I'm sure we will want to move your story to our Success Stories board if that is okay with you?

T2 :smitten:

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, lorih1220.  

We are so glad to welcome a new member who has successfully tapered off a high dose of klonopin and is feeling well again. What a success story.  Thank goodness you went to the ER.  You could easily have had seizures.

We have several members who have cold turkeyed off their benzo and some are still suffering.  I know they will be so encouraged to read your wonderful post.  

If there's anything we can do for you, just holler!  ;D

Thanks lori,

how wonderful for you! And it's very generous of you to come here and share this story. It will ease a lot of minds.  ;)

Wow what an amazing story.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us and giving us all hope.  Congratulations to you!!  You did it!!!

mal

Hi Lori,

Thankyou for sharing your story.

I know there are many people who can not see that far ahead and are sure it will never get better.

You are testament that it can and will.

Thankyou so much for everyone hope

:) Kel

• 7 months later...