Anyone senstive to Synthroid??

[So...]

My whole story is an odd one. I tanked on xanax at the end of July. Meaning that my body became very tolerant to it and I did not know what was happening to me. I immediately c/t'd from it, before I found BB, and my body was in severe w/d for about 2 weeks. After that I was getting better until I came down with bronchitis at the end of the 3rd week. Since then I have not been able to tolerate any of my meds and I went off of them, including my thyroid meds. I have since lived with an elevated heart rate and massive weight loss. A few weeks ago, I tried taking my Prilosec again, and it caused me to be dizzy and feeling drugged for the entire day. So, I know that I am still really sensitive to meds. I completely have my Dr's stumped by all of this.

Well, my thyroid has now gone crazy, with a TSH of 63. I have been given Synthroid, instead of the generic, and I want to know if anyone has had trouble taking thyroid meds. I went off the Levothyroxine 6 weeks ago, because it was making me shaky and causing anxiety.

So, please, I really need help with this. I am so terrified to start this again.

Thanks, BB friends!!

Denise  :smitten:

Have been on levo since the beginning of my taper, started at 50 mcg, then dropped to 25 mcg.  No problems.

Thanks for answering. I wonder if it will be different, since you are still tapering and I c/t'd??? I think that since I have become so sensitive to meds, this is my biggest worry.

I really appreciate your help. Hope your taper is going well.  :)

I've been on Synthroid before, during, and after benzos.  No problem. 

Every one is different and I'm sure some people will have a reaction.  However, it is dangerous to not treat your condition so I would encourage you to work with your doctor.  As I'm sure you know, some drugs initially give side effects that wear off over time so give it a chance.

I've been on Synthroid before, during, and after benzos.  No problem. 

Every one is different and I'm sure some people will have a reaction.  However, it is dangerous to not treat your condition so I would encourage you to work with your doctor.  As I'm sure you know, some drugs initially give side effects that wear off over time so give it a chance.

I know that I need to get back on the meds. I mean, I truly know this deep down. But, I am so afaid of the side effects. I am really hoping that being on the Synthroid vs. the generic, might make a difference.

My biggest issue (that I forgot to mention) is that since the c/t, my symptoms are classic HYPERthyroid. Elevated heart rate, and rapid weight loss. But, it is the elevated heart rate that has me more scared to try anything.

Have you had an elevated heart rate at all with your meds?? Or, during your taper??

My heart rate went up some after I C/T'd but it wasn't dangerous.  My normal heart rate is pretty low so it could go up quite a bit without being a concern.  Last year some medication made my heart skip beats so I had a thorough check out with a cardiologist so knew that I was fine and any irregularities were due to the withdrawals and I was able to ignore it.

That TSH range is wildly out of range.  I don't know that Synthroid is the answer but  work with your doctor to get it under control.  Not treating can be dangerous for your heart:

"Hypothyroidism may negatively affect your heart through several different mechanisms. It can increase total cholesterol levels and low-density lipoprotein, or "bad" cholesterol, in the blood. Both of these conditions increase your risk of heart disease. Hypothyroidism affects heart muscle contraction, decreases heart-pumping capabilities, stiffens blood vessel walls and slows heart rate. All of these increase the risk of high blood pressure and heart failure. "

I'm not sure what kind of doctor you are using but some go to an endocrinologist for thyroid issues.  I used my GP.

Good luck.  It is usually a journey to get the thyroid straightened out :(

I just find it so odd that I have such an elevated heart rate, but yet I'm extremely Hypo. Makes me wonder if I am having adrenal issues.

I have been referred to an Endo, but the Dr has to review my chart to see if he will accept me as a patient. Weird, I know!!

I have an appt with my GP on Monday, so maybe I can get some answers from him.

My thyroid was tested today in the ER, where I had to go for an episode of SVT.

My TSH was 13, only three weeks ago. So, something is going on!!

Denise

Its possible going off the benzo C/T created all this. The timing is right.  I also started blaming every medication I was taking for the way I felt and it was all just benzo w/d in the end.

Once that glutamate gets working on the brain everything goes haywire.

Well, my Dr is insistent that I go on the synthroid. I have tried very small doses and it makes me fery dizzy and makes my muscles feel fatigued. But, he thinks my thyroid being so out of whack is causing my elevated heart rate. He is sending me to an Endo to get a full eval, because he is concerned about my pituitary and adrenal glands.

Also, my pcp Dr said that all hypothyroid is Hashimoto's. Anyone else ever been told that??

TSH: 65

Free T4: 0.5

Free T3: 1.5

So, yeah, they are bad!! They have NEVER been this bad. Before I was even put on meds (before benzos), my worst TSH was 8. I HATE BENZO'S!!

Just wanted to give an update.

Denise :smitten:

I take a thyroid replacement called Nature-throid, or another by the same company is called Westhroid, same produt I'm told, by prescription.  It's desiccated pig thyroid.  It's like Armour, but a different brand.  I had anxiety and weakness taking Synthroid generic, so switched to this and feel better with it. 

I take a thyroid replacement called Nature-throid, or another by the same company is called Westhroid, same produt I'm told, by prescription.  It's desiccated pig thyroid.  It's like Armour, but a different brand.  I had anxiety and weakness taking Synthroid generic, so switched to this and feel better with it.

Who prescribed it? An Endo? Or you regular Dr?

My regular Dr would never go for it. And, I won't see the Endo until Dec 6th.

Isn't that T3 only?

Denise

I told the doc I felt bad on the Synthroid and he agreed to give me the Nature-throid, though some docs won't prescribe it, they don't believe in it.  I had a regular doctor prescribe it.  You could call around to docs and see it they would be willing to prescribe Armour or Westhroid or Nature-throid.  It's not just T3.  It's got lots of "T's" I've learned.  T1, T2, T3, T4, etc. which is more like our own bodies.  I really feel better with it.  The T3 in this "natural" thyroid helps with mood and is an antidepressant.  Or you could call the makers of Nature-throid, Western Research Labs, and ask them which docs prescribe it in your area.  You can get on their website, I don't know it right off and call their 800 number.  I think the quality control on the drug is better than Armour thyroid, IMO. 

Just an update...the Synthroid was a bad idea. Crazy shaky legs!!

Back on levothyroxine, and working my way up slowly on it. No side effects, yet.

• 2 months later...

My whole story is an odd one. I tanked on xanax at the end of July. Meaning that my body became very tolerant to it and I did not know what was happening to me. I immediately c/t'd from it, before I found BB, and my body was in severe w/d for about 2 weeks. After that I was getting better until I came down with bronchitis at the end of the 3rd week. Since then I have not been able to tolerate any of my meds and I went off of them, including my thyroid meds. I have since lived with an elevated heart rate and massive weight loss. A few weeks ago, I tried taking my Prilosec again, and it caused me to be dizzy and feeling drugged for the entire day. So, I know that I am still really sensitive to meds. I completely have my Dr's stumped by all of this.

Well, my thyroid has now gone crazy, with a TSH of 63. I have been given Synthroid, instead of the generic, and I want to know if anyone has had trouble taking thyroid meds. I went off the Levothyroxine 6 weeks ago, because it was making me shaky and causing anxiety.

So, please, I really need help with this. I am so terrified to start this again.

Thanks, BB friends!!

Thanks, BB friends!!

I am still having a hard time taking my synthroid. Anyone else notice an an increase in pain and symptoms when taking it?

[60...]

Yes, I had big trouble with synthroid. Anxious feeling, shaky and most of all a burning pain in my belly, not the stomach but around the whole area just above the belly ( just above where your belt of your jeans would be) and also in my very lower abdomen.

Constipation and burning feeling with each bm.

I stopped and am now on tirosint. It is a liquid capsule and I understand its fairly new.

It absorbs quick and has no dye or gluten in it.

It comes In very low dose of 13 micro grams. It is only t4.

I have been on it for just ten days now.

It's tricky to find out which anxiety is coming from either benzo or thyroid.

I'm starting to get more hyper as well and my tummy doesn't feel right again.

Just talk to your endo and see if you can try the other forms? Every body reacts different.

I'm not even sure if this is a case of the infamous benzo belly or the thyroid meds.

I guess we will not fully be able to find out until we jumpy this junk but I agree that you should not just stop thyroid meds without talking to the doc. You don't want to mess with the thryoid!

Hang in there.

Thank you , for sharing . My usual dosage is 100 micro grams, I lowered to 25 mcgs. for 3 months and now I'm up to 50mcgs I will gradually increase the dosage back up to 100 mcgs. as I can tolerate it. Some is better than none, but right now I have to keep it a little low just to keep my head above water to get thru this hellacious wd process.

People that don't have thyroid problems are so darn lucky. We will get thru it though.

Sophia, if your TSH is 65, you definitely need thyroid replacement. I take synthroid and have for 5-6 years. Benzo w/d gives us so many symptoms. I used to wonder if synthroid caused any of my symptoms. Of course, I question any and everything. Benzo w/d is totally unbelievable. It causes so many problems, it is hard to tell what causes what. I do not think synthroid causes me any problems. Everyone is different, so you might start with a low dose to begin with. My endocrinologist keeps my TSH between 1 and 2.

Oh Honey, this is from way back in October. I got my tsh down to 4.03 in just a month. Weird!!

I actually go tomorrow to find out my new level. I had my blood sucked for it on Monday. So, I am kind of excited to see what it is now. Just hope that it hasn't gone back up.  :-\

But, I had to go back to the generic brand, the Synthroid threw me for a loop. Terribly dizzy and out of it feeling.

Hugs,

Nana  :smitten:

That is odd. I wonder why they went haywire and then back down fairly quick??

Crazy stuff!!

I brought mine down from 65 to 4 with only 50 mcg of Levo.

Like I said...crazy stuff!!

Nana  :smitten:

I can't say anything about synthroid but I'm sensitive to all sorts of stuff. From vitamins to naproxin and even food. Every time I eat my heart pounds for about 2 hours and all my other symptoms flare up as well. Been 5 months of this happening so far!