Can you take Bezo as needed?

[Is...]

Can you take a benzo once in a while? I cant get out of the house and I never sleep. Does taking a small does hurt my healing or just slow it? I need to get my skin cancer taken care but there is no way to get out of house. Pdoc suggested I take a small dose for some reief to get this taken care of.

How much damage does it do to take a small dose once in a while. I know it is not good, but does it damage or just slow the healing process.

I would 2nd what rsx said. What is the reason you can't leave? I'm not sure you could even know what a small dose might be able to help you with and I would try any other alternatives before taking a benzo again. Maybe others will weigh-in for you. :)

Hi IslandGirl,

I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering, I know how difficult it is trying to cope with severe sleep problems. I really dont think taking an occasional benzo would be a good idea. I've copied an excerpt from the old Trap websire where this is discussed, I hope it helps you to make a decision and I hope also that you are feeling much better very soon.

Quote from Trap

(15) Question: After I have withdrawn from benzos can I take them occasionally?

Answer: No you can't. Once your body has been addicted to a drug you can't re-expose it to the drug without consequences. Most of you readers will have heard of smokers who have quit for years or even decades and they have one cigarette and all their withdrawals and cravings come back and they are back on the smokes. This is true for other drugs of tolerance and dependence such as alcohol and unfortunately also benzos. This is a physiological problem not a psychological problem. Many people think that they can just take one and use their determination to keep it to occasional usage and don't understand that the body stays hypersensitive to the drug for years afterwards with persisting tolerance. A lot of people find that withdrawal effects return and they are worse after taking the occasional benzo than before they took it in this scenario. The brain stays tolerant to the drug and sensitised to the drug. So often taking the drug will typically cause a return of withdrawal effects after the benzo dose wears off and set your recovery back in time. Sometimes withdrawal effects can return very strongly after taking an occasional benzo.

Debbie x

Thanks all,

it is not really a sleep issue. My problem is I cant really function. My leg still drags and sometimes it doesnt. The akathisia is so bad with the innervibration and need to walk all the time there is no way I can get in a car let alone lay still on a table while haveing skin cancer surgery.  Just like RSX2009 my pdoc wants me to use a different benzo. I have so many sxs still it is too much to list.  Not many sxs have ever left.

Has anyone else had to use a benzo occasionally to get thru or go somewhere? What is youe experience?

housebound IslanGirl

I did a c/t back in September 2011. I had made it 3 months and 3 weeks when the holidays hit. I took a "rescue dose" here and a "rescue dose" there, just to get through certain stressful events. Unfortunately, by doing that, the "here" and the "there" began to come on more and more frequently and by early January 2012 I had just given up and reinstated.

I was miserable throughout 2012 and finally in January 2013 I began a fairly fast taper from 30 mg. of Valium, 2.5 mg. every couple of weeks, until I was at 5 mg. and just totally sick, sick, sick. I decided to just jump c/t if I was going to be sick. This Saturday it will be five months since I jumped. When I jumped I threw out ALL my benzos, so this time out I haven't had anything to use for "rescue doses."

So, from my experience, benzos are not something that those of us with a history of dependence/accidental addiction can take on a PRN basis without it putting us at great risk of reinstating...

Hi IslandGirl,

I'm so sorry to hear you are suffering, I know how difficult it is trying to cope with severe sleep problems. I really dont think taking an occasional benzo would be a good idea. I've copied an excerpt from the old Trap websire where this is discussed, I hope it helps you to make a decision and I hope also that you are feeling much better very soon.

Quote from Trap

(15) Question: After I have withdrawn from benzos can I take them occasionally?

Answer: No you can't. Once your body has been addicted to a drug you can't re-expose it to the drug without consequences. Most of you readers will have heard of smokers who have quit for years or even decades and they have one cigarette and all their withdrawals and cravings come back and they are back on the smokes. This is true for other drugs of tolerance and dependence such as alcohol and unfortunately also benzos. This is a physiological problem not a psychological problem. Many people think that they can just take one and use their determination to keep it to occasional usage and don't understand that the body stays hypersensitive to the drug for years afterwards with persisting tolerance. A lot of people find that withdrawal effects return and they are worse after taking the occasional benzo than before they took it in this scenario. The brain stays tolerant to the drug and sensitised to the drug. So often taking the drug will typically cause a return of withdrawal effects after the benzo dose wears off and set your recovery back in time. Sometimes withdrawal effects can return very strongly after taking an occasional benzo.

Debbie x

Just FYI, Ashton disagrees.

I have taken many rescue doses . sometimes I get a rev of mild side effects for a day or two after and someties I get none. It has never harmed my w/d and it has also given me the momentary break/sleep/, relief I needed to keep pushing through. I monitor myself and never let it get out of control. I have been doing it my whole w/d. Sometimes once every few months sometimes once a week for a couple of weeks. I do  what I have to do to get off this drug . But if you have an addictive personality, you might want  to monitor your self extra carefully. I do not, so it's not a problem for me. my doctor is perfectly ok with this.  And who told you for a fact , that taking a rescue dose is 'bad for you'. I don;t know of any scientific proof of that? I have heard anecdotal evidence of both pro's and con's, but no absolute facts. I am not pro or con, I am just telling you how it was for me. Zero problems.

I also want to mention that it is very difficult to read comments that state that everything is a fact or absolute. NOTHING in w/d is an absolute. NOBODY is an expert. NOT ONE THING applies to everyone. In fact if there was an absolute than this would be it, there are no absolutes. (before I ruffle any feathers, this comment is not directed at anyone in particular, especially in this thread...it is a blanket observation based on my frustration while reading countless posts every day)

If you follow conventional wisdom about w/d, than I am an anomaly. I drink wonderful glasses of wine , I take rescue doses, my brain is functioning well while still in w/d and I tolerated opiates quite well in w/d. I also never reached tolerance, ever, benzos were knocking me out and sedating me even during w/d.

Eminem  , cold turkeyed from  ludicrous amounts of benzos and ambien and 6 months later he was fine and wrote an album

There are some people on BB that are 5 years out and still protracted. 

I read once a post from someone who had been taking benzo's for 15 years, stopped after a 1 month taper  and had zero side effects.

Some people take a rescue dose and are set back months.

Some people have anxiety and fear through the roof while some people can barely move and have no anxiety and are almost suicidal they are so depressed. Some people gain 50 pounds, some people lose 50 pounds. Some people love exercise and vitamin C to calm them down and others love magnesium and watching movies to relax. etc etc etc......

So how do you explain all these so called anomalies?  And I would love for people to show me what the proper, perfect , by the book w/d looks like? Because I have not seen it. And where are these so called hard and fast rules everyone keeps stating as facts, because not even  Ashton claims to even begin to understand the full scope of the complexities of Benzo w/d so how can anyone here claim to be an expert on how someone will react? (once again this IS NOT directed at anyone personally)

You are unique, your w/d is unique and you have to try things to figure it out. Trial and Error. This is how all scientific method is done. Or you can use the precautionary principle and err on the side of caution and not try it. Either way, there is no one on BB that can or should tell you how you will react. It is impossible. It is your choice. You are in control of it. And sometimes you will make mistakes, but no one is immune to that, it's part of life.

The reason I am writing all of this is because I do not want anyone coming on this thread and doing this to you because you have a much more serious and pressing issue here........If you have skin cancer sweet heart ,  I am afraid to say it, but in my opinion that takes precedence over benzo w/d and if taking a rescue dose gets you to the doctor to have it taken care of than I think you have answered your own question of whether or not it is ok.....

Alabama.xo

Can you take a benzo once in a while? I cant get out of the house and I never sleep. Does taking a small does hurt my healing or just slow it? I need to get my skin cancer taken care but there is no way to get out of house. Pdoc suggested I take a small dose for some reief to get this taken care of.

How much damage does it do to take a small dose once in a while. I know it is not good, but does it damage or just slow the healing process.

At 5 1/2 months off I still get waves. I just tried a small dose and it did nothing. Didn't help, didn't hurt. I told someone on some other thread that I might try it, and now I tried it. Probably won't try it again because it doesn't seem to help me.

Just got assigned TDY so I'll be gone for about a week. Probably no WI FI access on TDY so I'll just report now that I tried a small dose and it didn't work for me one way or the other.

I'm almost considering anything myself to get rid of the muscle spasms, but I don't want to damage it worse. It would only be a temporary fix, anyway.

Antonius7

When do you get your muscle spasms?  I get them as soon as I eat.  Feels like I am in labor but farther up.  Is there anything you do that helps?

Snufi

Per the Ashton manual

BENZODIAZEPINE USE DURING AND AFTER WITHDRAWAL

What happens if someone who is in the course of benzodiazepine withdrawal or has successfully withdrawn needs a surgical operation? Benzodiazepines are of value as premedication before major operations and for sedation and amnesia during minor surgical procedures. Yet many ex-users are terrified that if they are given a benzodiazepine for these purposes they will become dependent all over again. They can be reassured: a single dose of a benzodiazepine given for an operation does not bring back the addiction, although the stress of an operation may re-awaken the anxiety symptoms experienced during benzodiazepine withdrawal. Symptoms reported under these circumstances have usually been the result of fear. Many personally observed patients have had repeated doses of midazolam (Versed, Hypnovel), a short-acting benzodiazepine, for dental procedures (dental phobia is common in withdrawal), and other benzodiazepines including diazepam for major and minor surgery and have recovered without complications.

Also, people who have gone back on benzodiazepines, having failed at the first attempt at withdrawal, can be just as successful at tapering as first-timers.

Try gravol, decaf green tea and camomile. They all make me feel tranquillized. See how they affect you and maybe you can use them for your docs appointment. How serious is your skin cancer?

I understand that people have different levels of anxiety but in my case my "anxiety problem" was insignificant. Certainly not something that should have been treated with powerful drugs.

We also experience benzo wd differently. I am pretty sure I didn't get hit as hard as some people did and there are probably others whose wd experience wasn't as severe as mine.

With my experience I just have a hard time imagining how anyone could have any desire to take these drugs again outside of an emergency situation. The only thing I can figure is that their anxiety (or whatever condition) is much worse and their wd experience wasn't nearly as bad as mine. Otherwise I just can't see how the benefits justify the potential downside.

If anything good has come of this it is that I now have a much better perspective on medical "conditions". If I contract a life threatening infection it is probably in my best interest to take an antibiotic. Putting a chemical band-aid on an anxiety or sleep issue? Not gonna happen.

Dear Island girl...skin cancer is a MUST to take care of...I may be going against the grain here e and I am fairly new here...but every person has their own experience with tapering off benzos. I had a very scarey medical evaluation a couple of weeks ago...I did take a rescue dose ( small..just upper to the previous cut). I don't think it ruined my taper, if anything it maybe put me back 7 days...but I resumed my taper exactly where I was the very next dose. I had to have the test and there was not a way to do it ( because of my anxiety) without the dose...or having versed administered by IV...I just thought the tiny one time dose of L was the lesser of 2 evils...but that is just me. I could not have come this far without the information and support found on BB... but.in the end we each of us has to use our own judgement...may I say ?...As a breasted cancer thrived...please please do not let ANYTHING prevent you from taking care of your skin cancer...cooperten

Thanks for that info eglong, thats what I was looking for, we discussed it on another thread the other day and I was wondering how it could be possible to use benzos (that Dr Ashton said so) during/after tapering because of all the opinions I have read on here about not taking "rescue doses", reinstating, or using benzos ever again. Its been a definite NO from every opinion Ive ran into thus far, until someone mentioned this information the other day. I prefer to go with what the expert says :)

I do think I remember Ashton mentioning not taking "rescue doses", referring to someone that would just take a extra dose to minimize SXS, but Im not sure. Do you know where to find this info in the Ashton manual, EGLONG? Im thinking she mentioned it just because she says theres no good that comes from going up and down on your taper, more or less (<paraphrased)

River, my problem was huge anxiety, in addition to heart arrhythmias, one kicked the other and some were considered life threatening.  I had to use benzos in addition to other meds to get it stopped. I did use them too long, am dependent, and thus I am tapering. My taper has been a breeze, so far.....SO FAR! So, Ive wondered what Ill be able to use if it happens again. It worked for me, it did what it was supposed to do, but as a result of staying on them long enough to become dependent, here I am...

I will say I have the same opinion about Paxil as most here do about benzos, it makes me scream out loud when I read that someones on that drug. Paxil did to me, what benzos have done to many on here, I did almost die coming off of that one and will NEVER take it again...

But this is where ya say "everyones different", I guess, because I guess its worked OK for a lot of people, allthough there are websites just like this one for people who have had a bad experience with it...

Thanks eglong

As for me, NO WAY!

I did reinstate for 3 days a couple of weeks ago. The first one knocked me out. I feel asleep in the car, thank God I was parked. But I did have my grandson in the car with me.

After the first one, it was all down hill. I had to stop them on the 3rd day because it was worse than the w/d s/x's.

My advice is to NOT TAKE ANY AT ALL!!!! :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:

Hope this helps!

Keep the Faith!

I have taken many rescue doses . sometimes I get a rev of mild side effects for a day or two after and someties I get none. It has never harmed my w/d and it has also given me the momentary break/sleep/, relief I needed to keep pushing through. I monitor myself and never let it get out of control. I have been doing it my whole w/d. Sometimes once every few months sometimes once a week for a couple of weeks. I do  what I have to do to get off this drug . But if you have an addictive personality, you might want  to monitor your self extra carefully. I do not, so it's not a problem for me. my doctor is perfectly ok with this.  And who told you for a fact , that taking a rescue dose is 'bad for you'. I don;t know of any scientific proof of that? I have heard anecdotal evidence of both pro's and con's, but no absolute facts. I am not pro or con, I am just telling you how it was for me. Zero problems.

I also want to mention that it is very difficult to read comments that state that everything is a fact or absolute. NOTHING in w/d is an absolute. NOBODY is an expert. NOT ONE THING applies to everyone. In fact if there was an absolute than this would be it, there are no absolutes. (before I ruffle any feathers, this comment is not directed at anyone in particular, especially in this thread...it is a blanket observation based on my frustration while reading countless posts every day)

If you follow conventional wisdom about w/d, than I am an anomaly. I drink wonderful glasses of wine , I take rescue doses, my brain is functioning well while still in w/d and I tolerated opiates quite well in w/d. I also never reached tolerance, ever, benzos were knocking me out and sedating me even during w/d.

Eminem  , cold turkeyed from  ludicrous amounts of benzos and ambien and 6 months later he was fine and wrote an album

There are some people on BB that are 5 years out and still protracted. 

I read once a post from someone who had been taking benzo's for 15 years, stopped after a 1 month taper  and had zero side effects.

Some people take a rescue dose and are set back months.

Some people have anxiety and fear through the roof while some people can barely move and have no anxiety and are almost suicidal they are so depressed. Some people gain 50 pounds, some people lose 50 pounds. Some people love exercise and vitamin C to calm them down and others love magnesium and watching movies to relax. etc etc etc......

So how do you explain all these so called anomalies?  And I would love for people to show me what the proper, perfect , by the book w/d looks like? Because I have not seen it. And where are these so called hard and fast rules everyone keeps stating as facts, because not even  Ashton claims to even begin to understand the full scope of the complexities of Benzo w/d so how can anyone here claim to be an expert on how someone will react? (once again this IS NOT directed at anyone personally)

You are unique, your w/d is unique and you have to try things to figure it out. Trial and Error. This is how all scientific method is done. Or you can use the precautionary principle and err on the side of caution and not try it. Either way, there is no one on BB that can or should tell you how you will react. It is impossible. It is your choice. You are in control of it. And sometimes you will make mistakes, but no one is immune to that, it's part of life.

The reason I am writing all of this is because I do not want anyone coming on this thread and doing this to you because you have a much more serious and pressing issue here........If you have skin cancer sweet heart ,  I am afraid to say it, but in my opinion that takes precedence over benzo w/d and if taking a rescue dose gets you to the doctor to have it taken care of than I think you have answered your own question of whether or not it is ok.....

Alabama.xo

THANK YOU. 

You need to get to the doctor and get your cancer treated.  This is the most important thing right now, and please do whatever you have to do to accomplish this.  There are some things that are more important than never taking another benzo, and this is one of them.

:smitten:

Megan

I also think your first priority is to take care of the skin cancer.  Do whatever you need to do to get to the doctor and receive treatments.

pianogirl

Please go to the doctor and get your skin cancer treated.  Skin cancer runs in my family and this needs to be treated when detected.  Whatever you need to do to get this taken care of IslandGirl, is what you need to do, in my opinion.  Good luck and keep us posted.