No slow taper possible because benzo intolerance

[mi...]

Hi,

20 years of Ativan 1.5 mg until june 2012, switched to Klonopin 1 mg because of sudden intolerance (extreme sedation, nausea...) to Ativan. One year later, june 2013, same thing with Klonopin ( intolerance). Had to taper from 1 mg to .25 mg a day in one month. Then, taper to .112, .06 to reach 0 mg approximately oct 11. I had to taper fast because I couldn't take the pill anymore. Now Withdrawls symptoms stopped me from working. I can't go back to start a slow withdrawl because of intolerance ( toxicity ). It seems I'm stuck. Any advice would be appreciated....

Thank you

Well, on the up side you've got benzos pretty much out of your system, or at least to a minimal level.

Are you going to just stick it out? It doesn't seem benzos are very good to you (not that they are good for most of us!). Can you spare the time to just stick it out?

I know that as bad as I feel right now, underneath it all I am very proud that I no longer have benzos in my body.

I'm in charge now, however ineffective that may be. But at least I'm no longer craving a pill and letting it determine where I go and having to always make sure I had some with me, "just in case..."

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do. Me? I'd stick it out... But that's me.

:thumbsup:

I cannot offer much in the way of advice, just support. My body and mind were no longer able to tolerate trying to take klonopin daily as directed by my doctor and finally after 6 months of taking it I stopped at .5mg.

The first 2-3 months were the hardest, the acute phase. Some exit the acute phase in a matter of weeks, hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones. For us it makes things pretty straightforward. Since the medicine makes us sick we don't have thoughts of reinstating to feel better. Only one choice, and that is forward without it. You will not be feeling this miserable forever, it is only temporary. Do your best to get outside and walk if your symptoms allow it, as much as you can. Early on in my w/d I was not able to get out and walk very often so I spent lots and lots of time playing games online like Angry Birds. Anything that can distract you from your symptoms and pass the time is what you need to try and do.

At 7 months off I am able to do some work from home and feel a little recovery has taken place, but the early months can be slow going. Take care!  :thumbsup:

Thank you, I appreciate the advice, opinions. I will move forward and try to stick it out as best as I can. I just hope I will get out of this faster than expected. I can't afford not to work for a long time, even with insurance. And it's really depressing....if it wasn't for the constant lightheadedness, fatigue and breathlessness...I'll try to stay positive and rest....

[67...]
I am benzo intolerant and doing the fastest of the slow Ashton taper. Very unpleasant so I understand. Since you quit so long ago there is really no going back, so that option is off the table. All you can do now is try to minimize your withdrawal symptoms as best you can by eating foods that don't aggravate your symptoms, rest, mild exercise, keep up your daily water intake, keep stress to a minimum, use distraction to divert your mind from your symptoms, consider mindful meditation, and let time keep you healing as it is doing this very minute. And by all means know that your buddies are here to assist and support you as you navigate through your withdrawal.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone, it is now approx 40 days off benzos or 7 weeks. My last post was oct 19. One doctor put me on short term disability at work. I managed so far to go to work everyday (7 days a week ) for approx 3-4 hours a day so far.  It is extremely hard. I feel exhausted all the time with extreme tensed anxiety neck discomfort, along with all other symptoms that you all know too well. I do it to keep busy and expose my brain to daily stimulus. I had a few windows in the last 4 weeks of feeling a little better. When I can't take it anymore I lie down for 30 minutes and it helps. My sleep at night sucks of course and I have anxiety and panick attacks waking up at night. But I'm still here. Last week was better but since 3 days it kind of gotten worse. Hope this is only a short setback. I alternate between hope and despair but hang on and try to keep some normality in my life to stay sane. And yes this is by far the hardest thing I ever did. By far. I told everyone at work and they support me. But boy how I manage to get up and go to work even for only a few hours everyday is beyond me. I don't care, I'll crawl out of the house if I have to...will keep posting...