Rebound Insomnia from Trazadone

[Ma...]

I've read that stopping Trazadone or tapering it to quickly can cause rebound insomnia.  Have any of you experienced rebound insomnia from discontinuing and/or tapering Trazadone?  How does this insomnia compare quality and duration wise to insomnia caused by benzo withdrawal?  What increments in tapering Trazadone has anyone used with success?

Thanks

Mantis -

Anything I have ever taken to help me sleep has made it more difficult to sleep without it, including Trazadone.  That doesn't include special teas, like chamomille or sleeptime.  I tool traz a long time ago and really don't remember about the specific rebound effect and how/if I tapered off of it.

• 4 weeks later...
I was recently discussing the issue of potential rebound insomnia with my doctor.  I have now been successful in tapering my does of Trazadone to 25 mg. at bedtime (from as much as 225 mg. at one time.)  The doctor made a good point -- How do you know, when you cut a dosage, if your insomnia worsens, whether it's due to a rebound from decreasing the medication OR a re appearance of the insomnia symptoms you had to begin with?  I'm doing just as well with a lot less Trazadone now as I was with a higher dose previously.  Hopefully, I'm starting to turn the corner with this insomnia and am on the home stretch to it's going away for good.

I'm doing just as well with a lot less Trazadone now as I was with a higher dose previously.   Hopefully, I'm starting to turn the corner with this insomnia and am on the home stretch to it's going away for good.

:yippee:;D:yippee:;D:yippee:

Thank you!  My goal is to be completely off all medications (like I was before this all happened) within the next 6 months.  Trazadone is the only one I'm taking now that's of a psychoactive nature.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm down to 25 mg. to Trazadone at bedtime.  I find that even going up to 50 mg. leaves me groggy the next day now.  I'm still going through cycles of exacerbated insomnia (my main problem is I wake up multiple times all night.)  I'm now 10 months + off all benzos.  Still frustrated that these bouts of exacerbated bouts of insomnia are still occuring.  It's very difficult to function when this happens.  I've not found the dose of Trazadone to affect how much I wake up at night but the Trazadone does help get me to sleep.