voice problems

[os...]

This has been bothering me the last few days. I thought it was just me. Ever since the seasons changed, my throat and eyes got really dry, now my throat hurts and I am a bit hoarse. There was a thing on the news the other night that said that right now is actually the worst part of the allergy season for asthmatics. I always thought it was spring and summer. The news said that the ERs brace for this huge spike in incoming asthma patients at this time of year. Given that information, I can now see why my eyes are dry and sore as well as my throat, even though I do not have asthma.  Perhaps this is what is happening to you too. I use oral lubricating gels and tabs, especially at night...they help. If it gets worse for you, it would be prudent to have a doc peek at your throat just in case it might be strep or something else requiring an antibiotic.  Take care. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Osu90,

This is a documented withdrawal symptom. I had this one too. It may be from dry throat. Do you use anything for your dry throat? I use a lozenge called Salese. I like the Lemon flavor because it is the mildest flavor. I get in from Drugstore.com. Here is the documentation that this is a withdrawal and recovery symptom. I hope it passes soon.

I saw your question and put together some information that may be helpful. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Russell & Di Porritt, 2006

Voice and Speech

“Problems with voice and speech affect only a few people in withdrawal. Those who do experience symptoms find that the quality of their voices seems to change. From sounding clear and strong, it can become hoarse, weak and trembly.”

“Speaking can become humiliating for people when they come off pills. They never know when the words are going to be lost. It isn’t mental confusion, they know what they want to say but they can’t get the words out.”

I wish you only the best,

Summer  :hug:

Hi Obsid and Summermeadow,      i have a long horrible story like so many here.  I was put on ativan for a swollen throat following a medical procedure.  I had a Bravo probe implanted into my esophagus on march 4th (against my wishes, told them a dozen times no, i dont want it, long story, doctor has been fired)  Anyway,  on March 10th i woke up with a globus sensation from hell and the ER doc put me on ativan.  I had NO IDEA what it was.  I was so uneducated because i had never had health problems or taken any prescription meds.  Anway,  its 6 and half months later and now i am certain that the ativan is actually causing the current throat problems.  I am so dehydrated, especially at night.  My voice is completely gone and painful most of the time.  I had to use a notepad for 3 months and i barely use my voice now.  I can only pray that weaning down helps with the dryness.  I tried an experiment yesterday by taking a teaspoon of olive oil and my voice returned instantly, for about 10 seconds.  What kind of lubricating tabs or gel do you use???  Thank you

I can really sympathise with this. I have not much voice . I had a  paralysed vocal cord. Well actually I have a paralysed vocal cord! I've had surgery on it . Not much help. I have trouble using my voice in a crowd, it's impossible really. It feels strained and dry and generally miserable. I can't sing at all. I miss this as I used to love singing to my grandchildren.

It's amazing the things we take for granted isn't it?    Hugs Pinkee

Not loss my voice but I use to sing now I have issues with that.  When I start to sing my throat feels sore and severely strained.  Then if I push it further my voice starts cracking. 

Hi osu90,

Yes, it hurt to talk sometimes. I still have dry mouth and dry throat and I did a slow taper and am 7 months benzo free. I use a dry mouth lozenge called Salese. I like the lemon because it is the mildest flavor. I get it on Drugstore.com.

How are you doing today?

Summer

I can absolutely relate to this. I've had very dry throat and mouth in my sleep. Dehydration especially at night.

Then I started to get a hoarse voice that is on and off. For instance today I've been having hoarseness and dry throat again.

Just get enough fluids, it shall pass.