Seriphos and Insomnia

[Di...]

Just thought I would start a new topic about this. A few us have been discussing Seriphos on the Vitamin C thread, so I thought it was time to start a new discussion.

I started using Seriphos about two months ago to help with my cortisol levels at night and I've had really good results. I've found that taking 1 capsule right at bedtime seems to work best for me. Sometimes if I'm feeling a bit wired I will take 2 capsules, or if I wake during the night and can't get back to sleep I will take one then and I nearly always go back to sleep pretty quickly.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [...]

• [Sm...]

• [ni...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been taking it less then a week but it did change my sleep immediately. From waking between 3-5 amped and not being able to get back to sleep. I either don't wake up or if I do I'm not amped so can get back to sleep.. usually.

... Well I think that I'd better go out today and get some of this stuff.  Of course you guys are using the brand name, and I couldn't find it in the stores, however a BB member told me to look for phosphorylated serine and I've finally sourced some.

Between this and etown's adrenal fatigue cocktail, I may get some relief from the dreaded early morning wakeups.  That would be simply bliss.

Love to all,

CC 

I've taken seriphos for the last 5 nights and it seems to be working really well. Typically, I wake up once in the middle of the night but then can get back to sleep after a while. Tonight I'm going to try the cream of tartar cocktail along with seriphos and see what happens.

Here's the Examine.com link on phosphatidyl serine & cortisol, (supported by study refs):

A decrease in exercise-induced cortisol has been noted with the bovine cortex sourced PS only, soy based supplements (which are usually the only ones sold now due to fear

of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease) have been shown to have outright no effect at doses up to 750mg.

http://examine.com/supplements/Phosphatidylserine/

The Seriphos manufacturers are pretty vague about the biochemistry distinguishing their product from others. The label does say it's a blend with ethanolamine, (which is weakly basic), but not sure what effect this would have on absorption.

It also states that it's dairy & soy free which seems to eliminate the 2 know sources of PS. Don't know if you have any theories Bart?

I have been taking it for a while & found it noticeably helpful at first but not sure now so may try cycling off for a period. I didn't take it last night & didn't notice any difference with sleep or function today.

My first use of phosphatidyl serine is very promising.  You must understand that this is by no means "serious proof" -- one night is just not enough for that.

I woke up around 3:00 a.m. for the usual reason -- my washroom break.  I returned to bed and went promptly back to sleep.  Of course there was something on my mind when I woke up -- "will I develop the usual restlessness?" -- but the fact is that I didn't develop that usual restlessness, next thing I knew it was 6:15 with the music alarm on.

I feel awesomely well this morning, too.

An important aside:  when I purchased this stuff, the store was in very short supply.  A woman had just come in and purchased 60 bottles for her trip to Hong Kong.  The salesman said the stuff is hugely popular and he "can't keep it on the shelves".  I checked another supplement store and I heard the same thing.  The compound is called "PS" in short, and is commonly sold as a memory enhancer.

Love you guys,

CC  (Luke)

Here's the Examine.com link on phosphatidyl serine & cortisol, (supported by study refs):

A decrease in exercise-induced cortisol has been noted with the bovine cortex sourced PS only, soy based supplements (which are usually the only ones sold now due to fear

of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease) have been shown to have outright no effect at doses up to 750mg.

http://examine.com/supplements/Phosphatidylserine/

The Seriphos manufacturers are pretty vague about the biochemistry distinguishing their product from others. The label does say it's a blend with ethanolamine, (which is weakly basic), but not sure what effect this would have on absorption.

It also states that it's dairy & soy free which seems to eliminate the 2 know sources of PS. Don't know if you have any theories Bart?

I have been taking it for a while & found it noticeably helpful at first but not sure now so may try cycling off for a period. I didn't take it last night & didn't notice any difference with sleep or function today.

My Seriphos manufactured by Interplexus says it is dairy, soy and gluten free. I wonder if that means it can be bovine. The failed studies with soy based PS on cortisol were done with young people with exercise induced elevated cortisol levels. Maybe there is some difference in the mechanism of non-exercise induced elevated cortisol levels in the not so young. It does seem to be making a significant improvement in sleeping for me. I plan to keep taking it for now. I tried the cream of tartar cocktail last night in addition to one Seriphos and could not tell any improvement. Still woke up once but got a solid 7 hours of sleep which is about what I've been getting on the Seriphos alone.

Thanks Bart, I think it may be helping me with exercise tolerance, even if I no longer notice a clear effect on sleep.

I can't wait until I am asymptomatic enough to start dropping some of these supps & hopefully get a clearer idea of what is doing what. The irony of replacing a very cheap valium rx with all these expensive supps has not escaped me but still wouldn't trade back for a million bucks.

Hi guys, This does look interesting!

I'll keep an eye on this one, as it seems to claim to have purminant cortasol reducing effects.

I wonder if it could go too far and kill motivation.

Still, anxiety from WD is a pretty good motivation killer anyway, so the happy medium is always good!

My first use of phosphatidyl serine is very promising.  You must understand that this is by no means "serious proof" -- one night is just not enough for that.

I woke up around 3:00 a.m. for the usual reason -- my washroom break.  I returned to bed and went promptly back to sleep.  Of course there was something on my mind when I woke up -- "will I develop the usual restlessness?" -- but the fact is that I didn't develop that usual restlessness, next thing I knew it was 6:15 with the music alarm on.

Hello Cool!  Keep us posted on how your experience progresses.  It will be interesting to see if it is continually effective.

Braban et al,

I will keep you posted as much as possible.  We are leaving for a three week trip (to Europe) on Monday and so of course here's hoping that I can get adequate sleep while away.  It will prove challenging, changing time zones radically and expecting the body to adapt. 

In recent times, prior to trying phosphatidyl serine,  the sleep I've been experiencing has been "somewhat decent" half the time, but there is almost always early awakening, darn it.  I'd love a solution to that with as few supplements as possible.  Maybe phosphatidyl serine is just the thing. 

I am thinking that this combination may be my solution:

- some l-theanine to relax me at bedtime

- some phosphatidyl serine to do away with those early wakeups

- magnesium (always) because the benefits go beyond sleep

- Special note here:  notice that I didn't include melatonin in my list?  Well, melatonin was depressing for me, but my doctor is convinced that was happening because last time I tried it I still had benzos in my system ... i.e. bad combination ... he's sure that now I mightn't find it depressing.  Interesting?  I may find out.  Right now I will leave the melatonin alone.

CC

Is this stuff found in grocery stores or target?

I don't know about other countries, but I had to get mine online.  There are a lot of sites that have it, even Amazon, although they wouldn't ship to Australia for some reason. I got mine from iherb.com. The price should be around the $20-$25 range for 100 capsules.

What mg are you all taking? Was looking on amazon and saw 100mg, 150mg and 500mg.

lisa

I didn't know that different amounts were available. I got mine from iherb.com and just ordered the one that they have. I think it is probably 100mg.

Not to sound too discouraging, but I had a very bad night last night.  It was my second night using phosphatidyl serine, 100mg.

Normally I get to sleep pretty easily and wake up at 4.  Last night, well, I was awake most of the night, perhaps I got 2 hours sleep at best.

Here is the situation -- there was much lively carrying-on in our house last night with a dinner party.  Lots of laughter, the company left late, and the dishes weren't done until after midnight.  I was revved when I hit the hay.  All the usual supplements, including the new phosphatidyl serine, were not enough to relax me and / or keep me asleep.

I won't get discouraged.  I think this sort of revving happens to the best sleepers.  But I can't figure it.  Carbs are supposed to help us relax, and there were definitely carbs on that dinner table!  ???                ;D

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress .. but remember, we are off on a three week trip starting Monday.  It is very unlikely I'll be posting from Europe.

XO,

CC

CC.....Sorry to hear the bad night. That happened to me after a late wedding and I didn't get to bad till after 130.....I was also too revved. All these sleep issues are a big bummer. Enjoy your trip!!!

Pam.....I saw more of the different dosing in the generic form...

Has anyone ever hear of or even tried the delayed release melatonin??

Not to sound too discouraging, but I had a very bad night last night.  It was my second night using phosphatidyl serine, 100mg.

Normally I get to sleep pretty easily and wake up at 4.  Last night, well, I was awake most of the night, perhaps I got 2 hours sleep at best.

Here is the situation -- there was much lively carrying-on in our house last night with a dinner party.  Lots of laughter, the company left late, and the dishes weren't done until after midnight.  I was revved when I hit the hay.  All the usual supplements, including the new phosphatidyl serine, were not enough to relax me and / or keep me asleep.

I won't get discouraged.  I think this sort of revving happens to the best sleepers.  But I can't figure it.  Carbs are supposed to help us relax, and there were definitely carbs on that dinner table!  ???                ;D

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress .. but remember, we are off on a three week trip starting Monday.  It is very unlikely I'll be posting from Europe.

XO,

CC

I heard someone who found seriphos revving up but they took it in the morning and it helped them sleep at night

I'm loving seriphos. No more 3 am wake up in a bit of panic for no reason is bliss

CC.....Sorry to hear the bad night. That happened to me after a late wedding and I didn't get to bad till after 130.....I was also too revved. All these sleep issues are a big bummer. Enjoy your trip!!!

Hi Ikk324,

Marvellous night of sleep last night.  I used 2 mg of melatonin, and 100 mg of phosphatidyl serene ("generic seriphos").  I plan to buy 3m timed release melatonin today, will report on it tomorrow, then off on vacation.

CC

I took seriphos for the first time last night, and it didn't seem to rev me up but I only got three hrs last night! This is horrifying.... Three months of insomnia...I can't take much more of this. I can go to sleep easily now, but after 3-5 hours I invariably wake up and cannot go back to sleep! Or if I just stay in bed and "try" to sleep (something cbt says not to do), I seem to drift in and out of sleep for the next 2+ hours! What the hell?! I keep waking up! Anyone know why?

Tonight I'll add melatonin, see what happens.

Hi Ikk324,

Marvellous night of sleep last night.  I used 2 mg of melatonin, and 100 mg of phosphatidyl serene ("generic seriphos").  I plan to buy 3m timed release melatonin today, will report on it tomorrow, then off on vacation.

CC

Great news!!!!! Im totally interested in the timed released.....Lemme know if you can before you leave!!!

Lisa

Great news!!!!! Im totally interested in the timed released.....Lemme know if you can before you leave!!!

Lisa

Lisa, I'd be bad not to post this.  I have felt that I have a hangover, all day long now, and it's after 8pm.  I googled 'melatonin hangover' and such a thing exists.  I am reconsidering melatonin -- again.  I understand it when people say .5 mg is enough. 

CC

I took seriphos for the first time last night, and it didn't seem to rev me up but I only got three hrs last night! This is horrifying.... Three months of insomnia...I can't take much more of this. I can go to sleep easily now, but after 3-5 hours I invariably wake up and cannot go back to sleep! Or if I just stay in bed and "try" to sleep (something cbt says not to do), I seem to drift in and out of sleep for the next 2+ hours! What the hell?! I keep waking up! Anyone know why?

Tonight I'll add melatonin, see what happens.

Maybe you might need to experiment with taking the Seriphos at different times. It seems that for some people taking it during the day works better. Like all things, it may also take a little while to give you the full benefits.

Another thing you could try is maybe taking another dose when you wake in the middle of the night. I sometimes do that, and it seems to put me back to sleep pretty quickly.