Titration Schedule

[Ne...]

I am just recently trying to come off of a drop in Neurontin that occurred way too fast.  While I was doing that I become "dependent" on 1.5 mg. Klonopin.  I am still somewhat unstable on the Neurontin but have had a marked uptick in anxiety (was getting better and now am not).  It directly corresponds to when I became "dependent" on the Klonopin.  Now I'm wondering if I have reached tolerance quickly.  I want off everything so badly.  A little background.  I was on prednisone for four months in the fall and had a bad reaction when they pulled me off.  Instead of recognizing it for what it was they drugged me with Wellbutrin and the Lexapro, both of which they ripped me off way too quickly.  Then they told me the Neurontin would "heal" my brain but I really hated how I felt on it (out of it).  I asked how to get off and was told 100 mg. every 3 day.  It about killed me.  I went from 800 to 200 and then back to 400.  I couldn't go back up any higher due to a rebound.  I was starting to stablize but then this #$%* Klonopin (also told this wouldn't cause addiction).  I think I need to come off super slow.  My body is in complete shock.  I am having terrible anxiety 24/7.  Please help with a method to come off this crap.

Hi Nester and welcome!

If you want to come off rather slowly then the titration method, should suit your needs pretty well. As it gives you the ability to make tiny frequent cuts instead of having to take less bigger drops.

Have you read about the titration method yet and understand that you will need to pick up a few things.

What we reccomend is :

* a 100ml cylinder with 1ml graduations (markings)

* a plastic syringe body (without the needle) typical Size I use is 10ml (this syringe is what you will use to make the tiny cuts by using it to remove some of the klonopin/milk solution.)

* we also need to know a few things about you :)  the size (mg) of the pills and , and your total daily dose 1.5 Mg's you said.

and how much you wish to reduce by weekly. for example some people reduce by 10% over 7-14 days or so..this is just an an example. you can do it by any reasonable amount you want. I use 10% over 12 days. some do it much slower, We can help you decide on that as well if you need some help.

I know it seems impossible now, and scary..but listen things are going to get better. I came here in a frazzled mess and they really helped me get going with this. So just try to relax a little and understand we will help ya.

But again, remember this is just one of several methods to use..but I believe this method lets you go the absolute slowest I believe as you can make such tiny cuts if need be.

You are going to do this :)

-Scott

The 100ml graduated cylinder can be found on the internet .

I am taking .5mg pills one in the a.m., one at noon and one in the p.m.  Is it safe or wise for me to begin this taper while I am still suffering from the Neurontin decrease.  At this point I can't tell what is caused by the Neurontin withdrawal and what is caused by the Clonazepam.  I am so scared.  Is it common for people to be this messed up when they get here.  I can't believe I'm where I'm at.  The docs at Mayo told me the only way to return to normal was ECT.  How is this going to help a drug dependency.  I think I'd like to try a 5% taper.  Would it be possible to see how that goes and then up it a bit if it works really well? 

Hi Nester. I am not familiar with Nuerontin at all. But I could add, if it were me I would wait until I was as stable as possible before beginning any titration. And I would not come off of two meds at once personally. I will ask about neurontin and see if anyone is familiar with it.

Hang in there. :)

I have no plan on coming off both at the same time.  I'm trying to determine which to go for first.  I'm at 400 mg. of Neurontin but feel like the benzo is smarter to come off first.  I've only been on the benzo a short time.  I'd consider the substitution but I am extremely sensitive to meds and, frankly traumatized at all I've been through so far.  I think I would just freak and assume I would be that odd person who couldn't make the transition.  I wish with all my heart I could I could make the substitution as I understand it makes things much easier.  My current most pressing problem is, though, telling if I am stable from the Neurontin or if the benzo is making it worse.  I am basically in one hell of a mess.  I've really only been "hooked" on the benzo for two weeks.  Would I be tolerant and going into withdrawal already?

My current most pressing problem is, though, telling if I am stable from the Neurontin or if the benzo is making it worse.  I am basically in one hell of a mess.  I've really only been "hooked" on the benzo for two weeks.  Would I be tolerant and going into withdrawal already?

If you've only been taking klonopin for 2 weeks at 1.5mg/day, I would be very surprised if it was causing the withdrawal-like symptoms you are experiencing.  Were all those changes in your neurontin dose you described above made recently?  I believe neurontin acts on the same receptors as benzo but will have to go check that out.  How long have you been taking the 400mg neurtontin?

I found this document prepared by tropicalsoul on neurontin and it does seem to be very similar in side effects, etc, to benzos:

(Edited to remove bad link -Beeper)

I couldn't get the link to work.  Yes, they are very similar and that is what freaks me out.  I started on Neurontin 300mg am and pm (600 total) for pain control in May.  I was told it was a non addictive nerve pain.  I was ill, missed a few doses and knew I was in trouble.  Tried to come off myself.  Disaster.  PUt in psych ward as suicide risk.  Went back to originally prescribing doc.  Oh just try 100 mg. every 3 days.  Disaster, major withdrawal including akathasia.  Two weeks ago started using the Clonazepam too much.  Now I'm hooked on it.  I am scared to death that I will develop toleration on both and end up spending the next two years coming off these things with blinding anxiety.  I'm not sure I can deal with that.  I'm trying to determine which one I should hit first. 

If you have truly only been on klonopin for 2 weeks, I would say get off it first.  You should be okay with a pretty rapid taper because the dependency issues normally arise after at least 2 weeks, usually more like a month.  Do you have .5mg pills?  Forgive me if I've already asked that; memory isn't what it used to be.  :o

I tried to stop taking one the other night and ended up with tinnitus from hell and terrible anxiety.  I think the damage has already been done.  I also think it will take me a while to stablize from the cut on the Neurontin.  My nervous system is absolutely shot.  I am still experiencing a lot of anxiety.  I was wondering if it was from the benzos but it seems it must be my Neurontin.  I am so sad. 

Maybe you just need to make smaller reductions.  How much did you try to reduce it by? 

As mentioned earlier, titration allows you to make frequent tiny reductions which helps minimize withdrawal (w/d) symptoms (s/x). 

I tried to switch to Valium.  The doctor told me  I should be able to take 2mg of Valium 4X a day to replace the 1.5 mg (.5mg 3X per day).  It was hell.  I ended up going right back to the 3 .5mg, even though I may have not needed that much.  I was trying to avoid the major withdrawal I had just gone through with the Neurontin.  You think I can still come of this easy enough in a few months once I stablize on the Neurontin?

Once you feel stable enough, I am sure you will still be able to titrate off of the klonopin. I would reccomend though, to be as stable as possible before begging. :)