Benzos for pets.

[Se...]

Hello Buddies:

About a month and a half ago, I read in the Magazine of the New York Times, that Veterinarians were prescribing benzos to pets to "correct" mood disorders, like when pets are left alone while the owner goes to work, or when the owner takes vacation and the pet is left in a cage in the vet's installations, or any other "suspected" mood disorder. :tickedoff:

The benzos are the same prescribed to humans, from the same labs, but packaged for pets. You would be surprised the amount of money that is expended for the kind owners for their loved pets. They report 1 billion dollars a year. "Business is business" :pokey:

Another bread of addicts has been created. :'(

Interesting stuff Serg.

I was a Veterinary Assistant for many years, and we prescribed Valium. It was also used for surgery.

But it was prescribed rarely, and only for severe behavior.

But I"m sure it is misused now, and it's unconscionable if it's used just to keep an animal quiet.  :muscle:

I had a dog that was terrified of loud noises like thunder and fireworks.  He got low dose diazepam and while he still hid, he didn't shake as much.  Since it was only an occasional thing, I doubt that he suffered any w/d effects. 

A friend has a dog that is also afraid of loud noises-- fireworks, thunder, etc. When the dog gets scared, my friend gives her a benadryl and it really helps. At least it's not addictive.

rufus

A friend has a dog that is also afraid of loud noises-- fireworks, thunder, etc. When the dog gets scared, my friend gives her a benadryl and it really helps. At least it's not addictive.

rufus

Yes, that's a good one for nervous dogs. Much better choice than valium!

• 1 month later...

Sergio,

I don't see your bloggie yet, so I'm posting my Marnie cuddle right here. I hope you're feeling wonderful, my friend....

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r119/marnie_020/HugBig3_T.gif

• 2 weeks later...

:yippee: WOW I finally found your blog. I been wanting to meet you my buddie. It's me THE KID and I'm here to say HELLO to you.  :mybuddy:

Hope life is treating you right.

JAN THE KID :hug::mybuddy:

I had a dog growing up named Peanut.  He weighed all of about 5 lbs.  He used to have seizures and my Mom would give him one of her libriums.  It was 10mg.  It worked...the seizure stopped and he slept for hours!!!  He lived to be 15 years old...it's a miracle!!

Jen

Unless you are sure your animal has a strong heart, you do NOT want to give them that. It's not pleasant. Defintly go with benadryl. It works great.