Thyroxine

[ly...]

Does anyone know if w/d effects your thyroid levels? I take 100mcg thyroxine a day and not sure if w/d is effecting it in any way, my gp doesnt understand why im having w/d! My energy levels are down and have been for weeks and ive lost over a stone in weight, i know w/d can cause this, im just not sure how much all this is effecting my thyroid ?

lynn,

I don't know of anyone that has actual thyroid problems with wd.  Many people have had them checked out because wd mimics so many problems but I don't know of any that has actually checked out.

Hey Lynn, I am on levothyroxine at a dose of 75 mcg.  I have had blood work done and it shows I am good at this dose.

I think the fatigue and tiredness is just w/d.  I have it too and I don't believe it has anything to do with my thyroid med.  Oh and I have lost 10 pounds too.

Good luck

mal

My thyroid was the reason I got on benzos. I developed Graves Disease and my endo put me on benzos to calm me when I had tachycardia. I couldn't use beta blockers because I have asthma, so....

When I was tapering the benzo I also had to taper off the methimazole (anti-thyroid) because my thyroid had finally decided to die off from my RAI (radioactive iodine treatment.) It was bumpy but I ended up taking my last benzo dose and my last anti-thyroid dose within 24 hours of each other. I then had to wait two months and then start the thyroid supplementation, and I'm now on 100 mcg of levothyroxine.

All that to say-- sometimes I thought it was benzo w/d and it was methimazole w/d. Or it was my thryoid supplement not being at the correct dosage. I've been off benzos 17 months now and I figure most of the extreme symptoms are gone (still have mild to moderate tinnitus but even that can be exacerbated by thyroid issues) so I blame my thyroid dosage for everything going weird now.

rufus

I have been on thyroid meds for 20 years but my tests all came back good when I was going through the nightmare of withdrawal.  At first I thought my thyroid had gone hywire, so that's the first thing they checked. 

Jen

• 2 months later...
I've done something stupid.  I stopped taking my levothyroxine because I thought it was making my palpitations and tremors worse.  I need to start taking it again because I then read (in a legitimate medical journal) that low thyroid can cause some muscle twitching.  I also read that benzos can cause hypothyroid. I will try to start taking it a piece at a time until I get back up on it.  I have developed such fears of medicine and food thinking it makes all this worse.  I need to get a grip!

I've done something stupid.  I stopped taking my levothyroxine because I thought it was making my palpitations and tremors worse.  I need to start taking it again because I then read (in a legitimate medical journal) that low thyroid can cause some muscle twitching.  I also read that benzos can cause hypothyroid. I will try to start taking it a piece at a time until I get back up on it.  I have developed such fears of medicine and food thinking it makes all this worse.  I need to get a grip!

Hi DM,

I have hypthyroid but have had it since I was 17. I had my thyroid checked back in February and it was fine, stayed at 88mcg/day. In July, I became extremely ill, thought it was withdrawals. I was having anxiety almost 24/7, terrible insomnia, starving feelings constantly and couldn't hardly eat and was having to eat every couple hours. I finally went to a walk-in trauma center and they found that my thyroid was extremely low and bumped my meds up to 100mcg. Within 2 weeks, I was feeling so much better. I could not believe how sick my low thyroid made me. You should get the tests done and get on the correct dosage. It can take up to six weeks for the meds to get your levels back up to where they should be.

T2 :smitten:

Wow Theresa!

So I may have made my anxiety worse instead of better by stopping the levothyroxine.  I was on .125 so I will slowly go back on.  I wonder if that hasn't had something to do with my eating problems.  I know low thyroid usually makes people gain weight but maybe for me it is part of the weight loss.  Thanks for sharing your rough spot.  So often I read through here and it seems like people are breezing through their WD w/o any trouble.  I'm happy for them but it helps to know that other people have rough spots and get through.

Toni :smitten:

Wow Theresa!

So I may have made my anxiety worse instead of better by stopping the levothyroxine.  I was on .125 so I will slowly go back on.  I wonder if that hasn't had something to do with my eating problems.  I know low thyroid usually makes people gain weight but maybe for me it is part of the weight loss.  Thanks for sharing your rough spot.  So often I read through here and it seems like people are breezing through their WD w/o any trouble.  I'm happy for them but it helps to know that other people have rough spots and get through.

Toni :smitten:

Toni,

Absolutely, your low thyroid could cause anxiety, it did me. You need to be checked to see what dose you need. If you get too much, that can cause tremors and palpitations and weight loss.

T2 :smitten: