Are there any other Atheists here?

[Bi...]

I'm just curious. I'm not on here too much, but I'm on... I wonder if there's any other atheists?

Hopefully, I'm not the only one.

I refuse to read a book that promotes slaughter, rape, abuse, stoning people, whipping and nonsensical suffering when I do suffer with my GI problems. It just adds fire to fire.

I don't believe in deities... buddha, allah, thor, zeus, or any other "sky daddy".

Sometimes it's good to know if any others are out there like you.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Bi...]

• [Wi...]

• [sn...]

• [Ro...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an agnostic but leaning toward atheism. I don't have strong opinions regarding those who have a belief system. I think if you need help and you believe in God (or whoever) all the power to you.

God doesn't make sense to me. The concept is way too ethereal for me to be able to wrap my head around.

I don't believe Buddha is considered a deity. In fact it is my understanding of Tibetan Buddhism that self reliance is paramount and that to attribute anything to a deity, is diametrically opposed to their belief.  Pain is part of life.  But suffering doesn't have to be and attachment (which would include a belief in a deity) is the root of all suffering, at least that's my understanding of that aspect of Buddhist philosophy.

I'm also in the atheism realm.  I understand the appeal of deities and religion, but throughout my life, with regards to either, I have been unable to obtain a willing suspension of belief.  In other words, I have never been able to overlook the limitations and inconsistencies and as a result am unable to  have acceptance of the premises.

WWWI

I believe in the science of God.  God is our creator and his space ship is 100,000 years more technologically advanced than any shit we have figured out how to build yet :) 

God is a super advance being and maybe in 100,000 years or so our species could be at his level of technology, evolution and understanding (or maybe God is a she :) Ya never know ;))

http://i.imgur.com/LvKfzG5.jpg

Thanks for the visual Birdman  :laugh:

I have long considered myself an atheist but have been taking meditation classes at our local Buddhist Temple and am considering the Unitarian Church.

I sort of feel like being an atheist got me into this mess and I may need a more tangible belief system to get me out of it.

I'm all good with other peoples belief systems, as long as they don't try to push them on me.

Thanks for the visual Birdman  :laugh:

I have long considered myself an atheist but have been taking meditation classes at our local Buddhist Temple and am considering the Unitarian Church.

I sort of feel like being an atheist got me into this mess and I may need a more tangible belief system to get me out of it.

I'm all good with other peoples belief systems, as long as they don't try to push them on me.

I believe in a creator and even an after life but I don't hang my belief on scripture while most of it just common sense.  Nor will I come knocking on your door  :laugh:

I have read Buddhist beliefs and I like what they have to say.

Again all very logical, treat people as you would wish to be treated and all that :)

http://i.imgur.com/odhawCg.jpg

I fall into the same category as Hope.  I come from more of a scientific background.  I don't deny that a god exists but I would need definitive proof before I could commit.  Religion is all about faith and I fully understand that having that faith can make life that much easier when you know that you have the support and understanding of a god.  I can tell you going through this ordeal, it certainly would be nice having a god there to support you.  If you have that faith and belief, all the power to you and I hope it makes your journey through life easier.  I  have many talks with myself trying to convince myself that there is some divine power out there to support me during trying times. I do feel alone at times and truly wish that I could just go on faith alone that he/she exists.

I believe in the science of God.  God is our creator and his space ship is 100,000 years more technologically advanced than any shit we have figured out how to build yet :) 

God is a super advance being and maybe in 100,000 years or so our species could be at his level of technology, evolution and understanding (or maybe God is a she :) Ya never know ;))

Birdman,

I do not believe in a man sitting on a cloud at all, watching over us. LOL, I have never believed in such nonsense. The pictures we see today of Christ, God, Angels, etc are all medieval description.

I do think that IF there is a god, in which there could be... he would indeed be very advanced in technology. I don't rule out questioning just because I'm an atheist.

I love Technology, Science and Mathematics! A god advanced in those can be my god.  :laugh:

I have to wonder myself, if UFO's aren't angel chariots?

Back then in those times, they had word limitations describing what they seen. "Chariot of fire" is how they described the mode of travel "angels" traveled in. The word UFO was not in their vocabulary, so they couldn't use that word.

It's like we have different words today. (More modern, if you will)

It would be something like this:

Cosmic = Holy

UFO = Chariot

Alien = Angel

Space = Heaven

I think if there is a "god", you're correct. He would indeed be very ancient, have superior technology, and simply not as religious nuts perceive him to be.

That's the ONLY way I would believe in such an advanced being. As far as an old, cloaked man sitting on a cloud LOL, that is just crazy.

I forgot, this is a benzo forum, not God like productions, which is a very interesting forum on conspiracies. I go there to pass time, just like here.

You should check it out!

Billy, you should watch some of the zeitgeist movies you would appreciate them. They talk about how religion is based around astrology and the alignment of the stars, and the summer and winter solstice. The stories were basically passed down and expanded upon. It makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I believe in the collective consciousness and Buddhist philosophy that we can free ourselves from suffering through non attachment. The belief I nthe Buddha is somewhat irrelevant, although I do believe such a person existed, and I don't consider him to be holy.

What is wrong with you people? I sure love my savior Jesus Christ. Just wanted to say that.

Maymay!! Hahaha! Nothing is wrong with us, we have different beliefs and upbringings. 

Billy, you should watch some of the zeitgeist movies you would appreciate them. They talk about how religion is based around astrology and the alignment of the stars, and the summer and winter solstice. The stories were basically passed down and expanded upon. It makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I believe in the collective consciousness and Buddhist philosophy that we can free ourselves from suffering through non attachment. The belief I nthe Buddha is somewhat irrelevant, although I do believe such a person existed, and I don't consider him to be holy.

I have seen zeitgeist and it makes you think.  They are heavily connected to the Venus project which promotes a kind of star-treky-ish communal future.  I still have not decided if they have another agenda yet, still trying to figure it out. I am not against trying new ideas I just don't want to be forced into it.

I am inclined towards atheism, & I have always had a very sceptical streak.

The arguments for the existence of God are incoherent. These arguments  include "the cosmological argument" ," the argument from design" (though Hume conceded there was a remote possibility of a designer in his "dialogues according to natural religion" ) & "the ontological argument ' (which is valid), favoured by the church.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. "

Christopher Hitchens.

Notwithstanding this I believe the church provides a community for the faithful, & does a lot of charitable work - funnily enough I just had j witnesses at the door & I tend  to chat so they come  back encouraged  :D  & I  have to end up being curt with them!

I am inclined towards atheism, & I have always had a very sceptical streak.

The arguments for the existence of God are incoherent. These arguments  include "the cosmological argument" ," the argument from design" (though Hume conceded there was a remote possibility of a designer in his "dialogues according to natural religion" ) & "the ontological argument ' (which is valid), favoured by the church.

"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. "

Christopher Hitchens.

Notwithstanding this I believe the church provides a community for the faithful, & does a lot of charitable work - funnily enough I just had j witnesses at the door & I tend  to chat so they come  back encouraged  :D  & I  have to end up being curt with them!

Then there's the whole chicken and the egg thing.  Who made God or did he evolve on some earth like planet billions of years ago?  Then this gets into the evolution thing, and you get a big benzo headache  :angel:

Interesting discussion and hopefully it won't start a war.

I am God, You are God.  All we have to do to experience "it" is get the hell out of the way.  Our conditioned mind (ego) is the thing that blocks "it".

We are like fleas wading through fur and asking "Where is the dog?"

the global evolution of the universe from the BIG BANG to the present time

makes sense to me. in a way i envy people who are able to believe , gives them

a piece of mind....

Hey i dont really believe in any of that stuff but im more of an agnostic like i have no clue what will happen maybe there is a god... How would anyone know ?

I am God, You are God.  All we have to do to experience "it" is get the hell out of the way.  Our conditioned mind (ego) is the thing that blocks "it".

I understand :)

Birdman,

I do not believe in a man sitting on a cloud at all, watching over us. LOL, I have never believed in such nonsense. The pictures we see today of Christ, God, Angels, etc are all medieval description.

I do think that IF there is a god, in which there could be... he would indeed be very advanced in technology. I don't rule out questioning just because I'm an atheist.

I love Technology, Science and Mathematics! A god advanced in those can be my god.  :laugh:

Back then in those times, they had word limitations describing what they seen. "Chariot of fire" is how they described the mode of travel "angels" traveled in. The word UFO was not in their vocabulary, so they couldn't use that word.

Cosmic = Holy

UFO = Chariot

Alien = Angel

Space = Heaven

I think if there is a "god", you're correct. He would indeed be very ancient, have superior technology, and simply not as religious nuts perceive him to be.

That's the ONLY way I would believe in such an advanced being. As far as an old, cloaked man sitting on a cloud LOL, that is just crazy.

I forgot, this is a benzo forum, not God like productions, which is a very interesting forum on conspiracies. I go there to pass time, just like here.

You should check it out!

Hi BillyF,  I just checked it out, very interesting!  Thanks for the pointer.

Birdie

I know better then to discuss religion or politics on a forum like this one, but here's my two cents worth on the subject.

If God is so all powerful, why does he let the little children, who are so innocent, and so pure of heart suffer and die before they even have had a chance to live?  During The Holocaust, why did he not strike down and destroy the monsters like doctor josef Mengele who ripped the crying little children from the arms of their distraught mothers, and did such horrible, unspeakable experiments on them?

If folks worship God or if they worship a rock or a blade of grass; as long as they live their life in a decent, kind, and unhurtful way towards others, who are we to say who is right or who is wrong in their beliefs.

Although I was raised in many different foster homes, and I was baptized in four different religions, I am not committed to any religion.  I guess if I had to have a label, I would be labeled an agnostic, because I am still trying to understand why are we here and how did we get here. 

Something or someone had to create this planet, and this universe, and all that it encompasses.  Was it a God who resides in a place called Heaven or was it another invisible form who resides in a galaxy a million light years away?  Does anyone know? Will anyone ever know?

It's all too deep and much too complicated for a simpleton like me to understand, so I will just enjoy all the beauty and all the magic, and all the mystery that makes life what it is.  :)

The very best to everyone.

pj

I understand :)

Sure glad someone does.  ;)

Birdman,

Cosmic = Holy

UFO = Chariot

Alien = Angel

Space = Heaven

You should check it out!

These two posts pretty much sum up my opinions. I don't like to call myself an atheist though. I prefer agnostic, but it's all just semantics really. Who cares what you call yourself?

I believe that "something" is there, but I don't believe in the biblical version of events. I believe the bible was written at a time when people saw things they couldn't explain so they came up with "fairy tales" to try to explain them. We still do it now. We see things in the sky all the time that we can’t explain.

The whole notion of angels, miracles, apparitions, heaven, resurrections, could all be explained away by the possibility of life coming from another planet. Quite possibly “Adam and Eve” were part of an original colonisation of earth (who’s to say there were only two people – there could have been thousands). That would make a whole lot more sense to me.

No one is being a "heathen" by saying these things. We're just saying that what is described in the bible could quite easily be explained by things other than a man with a long flowing beard sitting on a cloud. I have no problem with people who want to believe in god and the bible. More power to you, just don’t try to tell me that my opinions are wrong. I do think we should avoid calling each other names though, like "religious nuts". I'm not going to judge someone for their beliefs, and I don't want them judging me.

Civilisations have always told stories to explain their history, so the bible is really just another version of that, but unfortunately somewhere along the way it obtained “cult status” and became some divine entity that no one is allowed to question – well according to the believers we aren’t allowed to question it. We’re always told we should have “faith”. Well I’m just a little too cynical for that I’m afraid.

Of course regardless of what anyone believes, there are always the questions of where did god/the aliens come from? Who created them? If god created everything, where did he come from? If we come from aliens where did they come from? Where did the universe itself come from? The Big Bang Theory (apart from being a very funny show) is just too much for my puny little brain to comprehend…lol..

Maybe all will be revealed to us on the day we die, but when we are reincarnated our memory banks are wiped clean so we forget everything. Unfortunately none of us seem to be able to report back what our findings are when we die, unless of course you believe in ghosts, and that’s a whole other discussion….